Password manager

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 4/13/2022 at 8:48 PM, BrettGC said:

I just use a .txt document and copy/paste from that, the copy/paste avoids the key loggers.  I have it backed up with a notebook kept in a safe location.  The .txt is saved on my computer and a secure cloud.  

Seems you like living on the edge with regards to online account security. I use an open source solution that works on windows, linux, mac and android. It uses a shared encrypted file stored on Dropbox. If you continue with the .txt file I recommend you encrypt it with gpg. When available I setup 2FA for my accounts, preferably using something like Authy or Google Authenticate for the second factor.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes it will, you can use other options to sign in or forgot password. Then you can go to Google passwords to view every stored password.

I tried it again, for the umpteenth time, and it still tells me 

temp.jpg

For EVERY other password I simply have to enter the password that I use to open my laptop but for the Google password I must first enter the Google password.  Catch 22.  Please help me if you can confirm that you get to see the Google or Gmail password.  I cannot do it.

EDIT:  I could reset my Google password.  I have done that before and written it down in a safe place.  Now I cannot find the safe place.  And every time I reset it I get nightmares that it may not work and I get locked out of my Google.  Google is my life.  Everything is saved there.  I hate that but they are so convenient.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Hmm thinking 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Yes the keeper people did respond to my not so polite email, where they informed me that there are issues with the Mac system and their development team are working on these issues.

My next decision is to decide what colour stickies I go with next for the wall, having yellow and green up there already, I’m thinking of the blue ones next hoping that there is a good contrast of colours, as I am using different coloured hiliters to define what website is for what password.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 4/15/2022 at 9:33 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

For EVERY other password I simply have to enter the password that I use to open my laptop but for the Google password I must first enter the Google password.  Catch 22.  Please help me if you can confirm that you get to see the Google or Gmail password.  I cannot do it.

I can not confirm or deny :whistling:

No you can not see your password when signing in as in its not saved for you. But I would not be worried about not being able to get back in as plenty of help to recover your account if that happened. https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/7682439?hl=en

If I was you I would open a free Dropbox account and as I said in another post once your into your account you have the option to export/download all saved passwords. upload it to dropbox for safe keeping but add your new Google password to it as well plus all the photos that you dont want anyone to find. Actually its good to have a backup of all your pictures and things.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Actually its good to have a backup of all your pictures

Hmmm.  Not always :whistling: 

• Haha 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 4/14/2022 at 11:27 PM, OnMyWay said:

Certainly no more risk than me keeping my passwords in Excel! 

You have password protected the Excel spreadsheet, right?

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Mike J said:

You have password protected the Excel spreadsheet, right?

Yes, but I leave it open all the time because I use it so often.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Hmmm.  Not always :whistling: 

It is when no one else knows where there stored. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
On 4/15/2022 at 9:17 PM, earthdome said:

Seems you like living on the edge with regards to online account security. I use an open source solution that works on windows, linux, mac and android. It uses a shared encrypted file stored on Dropbox. If you continue with the .txt file I recommend you encrypt it with gpg. 

I neglected to point out that the .txt file I use is a shared Dropbox file... not sure about 'encypted'?  

I thought all Dropbox files were stored that way and we didn't need to seperately encrypt them?

Also if I'm accessing a web site that is in any way important or that might need a payment then the VPN is on.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I neglected to point out that the .txt file I use is a shared Dropbox file... not sure about 'encypted'?  

I thought all Dropbox files were stored that way and we didn't need to seperately encrypt them?

Also if I'm accessing a web site that is in any way important or that might need a payment then the VPN is on.

I found this, basic summary although the connection between you and dropbox is encrypted the individual files are not encrypted until after they arrive at the dropbox servers opening up the potential for a rogue employee or hacker to view your unencrypted .txt file. In addition they are not encrypted on your device, if dropbox is open on your device, anyone who gains access to your device can see the files unencrypted. I am losing count how many times my personal data stored by organizations or vendors I have a relationship with has been stolen by hackers. Fortunately, to this point, I have not had any problems from identity theft or a monetary loss.

Is Dropbox Encryption as Secure as Expected?

Dropbox security is one of the things that most people concern about. Dropbox claims to put the security of customers at the highest priority, but truth be told, Dropbox encryption is not as strong as it presents.

First of all, if you read the privacy policy of Dropbox carefully, you may learn that Dropbox will retain and store your information like user usernames, emails, addresses, phone numbers, credit card information and social network details when you sign up. Even if you delete your Dropbox account, you can't delete this personal information.

Besides, Dropbox doesn't provide end-to-end encryption. In other words, when you upload your data to your account, Dropbox has the encryption key to view all your files on their servers.

Although Dropbox makes it clear that it will never manipulate or sell personal information, a rogue Dropbox employee or hacker will be able to breach the systems and steal this sensitive information.

• Hmm thinking 1