Dasmarinas or Iloilo City?

RBM
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, hk blues said:

As I said in another post, it's boring if you are looking for a vibrant ex-pat community and plenty of bars with pretty girls.   

That said, It's not the sleepy place it used to be and maybe many visited 10 or more years ago before the major upgrades took place. 

I guess most places can, do, become boring if one there to long. We visit Iloilo often and absolutely love it. Never a boring moment, the wonderful esplanade where we spend many hours, old churches and a few fantastic restos although expensive. The area around Fiesta Walk is amazing plus that New York style mall. 

It does lack the nature compared to areas close to Bacolod but for a clean wonderful city up town Iloilo would in MHO be hard to beat. 

• Like 4

Viking
Posted
Posted
On 4/16/2022 at 8:18 AM, Mike J said:

The work started on replacing our roof but it is going slowly due to weather and Philippine festivals, holidays, etc.  There is beginning to be a trickle of tourists back but I expect the economy will not recover for at least a year.  Still a lot of damage to be repaired and the business's lack funds due to covid.  Also a lot of loss and damage to fruit trees.  The wife says the price of mango and banana have increased.

Holy week schedule so no workers.

Palm Sunday, Holy Monday, Holy Tuesday, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Black Saturday, Easter Sunday.

I fully expect Hangover Monday, Recovery Tuesday,  might see the crew again on Wednesday? :tongue:

I can imagine that it will take a long time to rebuild everything that was destroyed, I hope it will be back as fast as possible.

I am really missing Moalboal, been there several times on diving trips.First visit was in 1992, and to my liking, it has not changed as much as some other tourist destinations (Boracay for example 😳)

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 4/17/2022 at 8:10 AM, RBM said:

I guess most places can, do, become boring if one there to long. We visit Iloilo often and absolutely love it. Never a boring moment, the wonderful esplanade where we spend many hours, old churches and a few fantastic restos although expensive. The area around Fiesta Walk is amazing plus that New York style mall. 

It does lack the nature compared to areas close to Bacolod but for a clean wonderful city up town Iloilo would in MHO be hard to beat. 

I couldn't agree more about Iloilo's attractions but my caution would be if I was a single guy looking for something more where would I go here to find it?  

The problem, or point, is that most who describe it as boring possibly visited before the places you mention were built i.e. 10 years or more ago.

Just to add, many of the problems I read about on this forum simply don't resonate with me here in Iloilo.  It's a very liveable place.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Eddie1 said:

I mentioned in my earlier post that the two guys that I know are that living there at the moment are both leaving because they say it is boring.  Both are married (one only just recently) and are not bar/pub type people. Actually both are Brits, one from England and one from Scotland.  The English guy is into Scuba Diving, he says that unless you are prepared to have a long journey there is no good diving to be had nearby to Iloilo City where he is living.  The Scottish guy said that for him it is boring because it is too flat and the walking/hiking is not good.  Both are returning to Dumaguete and/or the nearby towns.  Good diving to be had at Dauin and good walking/hiking to be had at Valencia (Mt Talinis). 

So, it seems that both are leaving because neither of them can enjoy their hobbies there.  Does that make it boring?  I guess if you are not into diving or hiking it might be a great place to live.  I have to say that from all the things I have seen and heard it looks like a nice place to try out. 

I think you've hit the nail on the head in that last paragraph, Eddie.  Personally, I would say it's a wee bit harsh to say a place is boring because it doesn't have good diving or hiking areas given those are quite specific hobbies.  

On the other hand, if someone were to say it's boring because there is a limited ex-pat community and not much of a vibrant nightlife I'd agree with them.

It all depends on what you're looking for.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Eddie1 said:

So, it seems that both are leaving because neither of them can enjoy their hobbies there. 

Makes me wonder as to why they moved there in the first place? Surely they did some research regarding the area before moving there? 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

I would say it's a wee bit harsh to say a place is boring because it doesn't have good diving or hiking areas given those are quite specific hobbies.  

It seems you are defensive of the place you chose to live and that is understandable.  But no diving, no hiking, no nightlife, no expat community . . . . hmm  I would not say it is harsh to say the place is boring.  It just is what it is.  I stayed on Biliran Island for years and it was said by many to be boring.  But then there was my gf and her family living there.  That makes the supreme difference for many of us.

So if the OP has no gf yet he should keep an open mind as to where to move, depending on where his future gf is from.

• Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

But then there was my gf and her family living there.  That makes the supreme difference for many of us.

So if the OP has no gf yet he should keep an open mind as to where to move, depending on where his future gf is from.

I thought the advice used to be, stay away from the family!!

Some even talk about the 3 island rule, atleast one island between you and the family 🤔

But I guess it all depends on what relatives you have.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Viking said:

I thought the advice used to be, stay away from the family!!

Yes.  That is the best advice.  But I am sure that advice is only followed by about half the expats in the Philippines . . maybe less than half.  It is what it is.

• Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yes.  That is the best advice.  But I am sure that advice is only followed by about half the expats in the Philippines . . maybe less than half.  It is what it is.

I will be one of those who will not follow that advice when we move (hopefully before the end of this year). Main reason for that is we already have our house CLOSE to the relatives. 

I am well aware of the risks but I think it will be good, if not, we already have a plan B and C.

• Like 4