Department of education ensures children remain uneducated

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I think we have all observed policies/procedures here that make you say "WTF".  But closing schools for two &%@ing weeks during the election is absolutely ridiculous.   These kids have already spent the past two years doing some sort of distance learning and now this?   And to top it off, the teachers are still supposed to show up for work every day.   Show up for what, if they show up at all what can they do with no students?  Were I a Philippine citizen I would be raising some serious hell about now.  Sorry for the rant but this really chaps my @ss.  I guess I need to take a walk and calm down.

https://www.manilatimes.net/2022/04/18/news/deped-suspends-classes-from-may-2-to-13/1840379

THE Department of Education (DepEd) announced on Monday the suspension of classes from Kinder to Grade 12 in all public schools nationwide from May 2 to 13, 2022.

This is in accordance with DepEd Order No. 29, s. 2021, or the monthly school calendar of activities for school year 2021-2022, allocating such days for national election-related activities of faculty and staff. Classes will resume on May 16.

The department said that teachers are still expected to report to their respective schools on days without election-related duties or activities.

The national elections will be held on May 9, 2022.

School Year 2021-2022 shall end on June 24.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Mike, it's very discouraging.

The rulers only care about themselves. Do you think sabotaging education is intentional?

Uneducated citizens are weak and vulnerable exactly what the ruling families want so they can continue to subjugate the masses. The best and brightest will go overseas as OFW's and support their less well off families continuing a vicious circle of corruption dictatorship hopelessness and poverty. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Mike, it's very discouraging.

The rulers only care about themselves. Do you think sabotaging education is intentional?

Uneducated citizens are weak and vulnerable exactly what the ruling families want so they can continue to subjugate the masses. The best and brightest will go overseas as OFW's and support their less well off families continuing a vicious circle of corruption dictatorship hopelessness and poverty. 

I have said to my wife on multiple occasions that the education system here seems designed to prepare youth for a life style of "part time employment with little expectation of hard work and/or effort for the employer".  It still amazes me how many holidays and days away from school these kids have.  And when they are in school it seems a lot of time and effort go into songs, dance routines, marching, talent shows, etc.   I don't think there is a conscious effort by administrators to keep the kids ignorant.  I think the system is broken and the goal post has shifted from basic education to social "feel good" activities.   I am not a potential employer of these youth, but if I were, I would give a rat's ass if they could sing, dance, and march.  I want someone who shows up on time every work day, has the skill set needed, and puts in the effort to do his/her work at a high standard.  I don't believe that was happening even prior to covid.  The youth have lost two year of mediocre education and even now the effort to make up for lost time is being knee-capped by the administrators.   

Crap - now I need to take another walk.  :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Love it 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Because they haven't been disadvantaged enough during COVID....

Idiots.

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I was asking my ex when her kid will start back to school and with a straight face she said " Next year."  She seriously thinks they have no plans for public schools on Boracay to start back. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gator
Posted
Posted

My asawa works in the education system in Cebu. For her, and many teachers as well, it’s a chance to earn extra …..about 15-20k…. as she will be working first campaigning for one of the politicians and then during the election itself at a polling place. 

She explained to me that the schools (at least in her area of Cebu) are used as polling stations. They must first be prepared and set up for the election. Then cleaned and sanitized again after the election to make it safe for the students and staff. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

I was asking my ex when her kid will start back to school and with a straight face she said " Next year."  She seriously thinks they have no plans for public schools on Boracay to start back. 

Same here in Moalboal. :sad:

• Sad 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gator said:

She explained to me that the schools (at least in her area of Cebu) are used as polling stations. They must first be prepared and set up for the election. Then cleaned and sanitized again after the election to make it safe for the students and staff. 

Whilst not defending the gov. here, in the UK schools were closed during elections for the above reason.  The problem isn't so much the concept as much as why almost 2 weeks?  

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Gator said:

6 hours ago, hk blues said:

Whilst not defending the gov. here, in the UK schools were closed during elections for the above reason.  The problem isn't so much the concept as much as why almost 2 weeks?  

Much the same case in Australia - the schools are used as polling places, even during the height of COVID though we were still having state and local government elections that had no impact on student attendance after they'd returned to face-to-face learning i.e. Most COVID restrictions still in place but schools were open. 

I think that whilst PI has handled the pandemic pretty well, that's where they've had a massive fail:  Not getting the kids back to school.  Most developed nations made schooling a priority when most other restrictions were still in place.    

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

With any competence involved and if there is one polling day, it should be 3 days max, including cleaning.  If a weekend is involved, even less.

Sometimes schools are used in the U.S. but it is usually in a gymnasium or library, etc., so the kids still go to class.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 5