The bloody rats are back in the ceiling.

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

We saw a rat leaving the house via the clumps of bamboo that were close to the guttering, so we bound them with wire to clump them together so not near the gutters anymore.

Then we were told by the maid that she saw one going down the Frangipani, so chopped all them out that were close to the house.

There is no scraps of food left out, no dog food around either.

I will start feeding them peanut butter, or small chicken pieces tonight, for a few nights then leave some poison wrapped in the chicken.

Anyone have any other ideas how they could be getting in?

cheers

• Like 2

Gas
Posted
Posted (edited)

Up the inside of the  drain pipe and into the gutter. We get a rat in the ceiling every few years and they enter the drain pipe outside the garden and manage to head up to the second floor. 

Do you not have a access hole to the attic/roof? I usually stick the poison up there, so no chance it will harm the dogs. Might smell a bit if it dies inside! 

Plus buy a decent poison that they use in the rice fields and not the blue stuff as its not very strong. 

Edited by Gas
  • Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

Same issue during my time in San Carlos. Best method we found was put a cat in ceiling for a day or two. No more problem for a couple of months, repeat again.

Its very annoying at night to hear them scratching around.

• Like 3

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Thanks, I thought of that but our dogs hate cats and kill them in seconds.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

Thanks, I thought of that but our dogs hate cats and kill them in seconds.

Tell the dogs the rats are actually cats and problem solved! :thumbsup:

• Haha 2

Eddie1
Posted
Posted

We get a few rats get up on the roof, they tend to climb up the mango tree and then across onto the roof.  Can anybody actually recommend a Poison that we can purchase?

Gas
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Eddie1 said:

We get a few rats get up on the roof, they tend to climb up the mango tree and then across onto the roof.  Can anybody actually recommend a Poison that we can purchase?

Kills everything! You can buy it at agriculture stores. 
Don’t bother with the stuff they sell at places like Ace Hardware as they don’t seem to work very well. 

9C68B093-97E7-4604-9AC0-1AD9B92D6638.jpeg

Edited by Gas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gas
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Anyway a few years back at a place I used to drink at an exterminator come after hours and they use a sticky tape that the rats cant escape from. Perhaps putting it in areas that might be used by them to enter might stop them from getting in.

Tried the sticky traps a few years ago. Great for mice but the rat chewed up the board and added it to its nest :shock_40_anim_gif:

• Haha 2

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

We have found 2 big dead rats in the garden over 2 days from the following recipe:

Shavings off a candle, chopped up finely into slithers.

Crushed peanuts, about a tablespoon full.

combine the above in a small bowel, then add a tablespoon of sugar. Mix it all together.bingo they ate the lot. 

We tried another recipe using baking powder and peanut butter but that didn’t prove effective 

placed in the roof.

Seeing these dirty rats are nocturnal we have wired a light into the roof cavity and are turning that on at sunset till sunrise. Problem with this is that the people at Ace Hardware and Citi have never heard of electrical timers, seriously!

• Like 4