Jolliobots appear in Manila store

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Freebie said:

Truly they are..... you cant even use a tap n go card in most supermarkets. They still want to put a card in a credit card /debit card machine which is time wasting. They just dont want to invest. The technology is most certainly here and available.

The other supermarket gripe is there are no self service counters.. so many have debit and credit cards would be so easy to set up some "serve yourself " counters instead of endlessly standing in lines. And they wouldnt need to pat cashiers or baggers either for these.

What, and trust customers not to steal from them? 

One of the basic stumbling blocks to many things getting better here is the basic assumption that everyone is ripping everyone else off and general mistrust of everything and everyone.  Often it's valid but certainly not always.  I mean, patting down staff before they leave the store!!!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

A somewhat relevant story.  Freshii in Canada is using virtual technology for cashiers.  You look and talk to a screen, and the employee on the screen is in Nicaragua.

I don't understand why Jollibee would use a robot when PH labor is so cheap.  Gimmick?  However, in CA, the articles say that there is a huge shortage of labor and of course labor is high.

PH might benefit from the outsourcing at Freshii?  Certainly for English jobs?  Are the Nicaraguan's able to speak French?

===================

Freshii has a new employee on board named Percy. Except this particular worker appears on a screen and only makes $3.75 an hour…from Nicaragua.

The popular food chain has a virtual video-calling device attached to its cash registers in a few locations across Toronto, lighting up when customers approach the counter to place an order.

On the other side of the screen sits someone like Percy, a person based in Central American who makes a fraction of what the average Ontario minimum wage employee makes.

Whole story:

https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2022/04/freshii-virtual-cashier-nicaragua/

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

the articles say that there is a huge shortage of labor and of course labor is high.

To be more accurate, I would say there is a huge shortage of people willing to work for low wages.  Low wages being an amount that will not allow you to pay rent and a few luxuries like a car to get to work.  There is a great disparity of wages, meaning the person who is washing dishes gets $15 an hour but if the dishwasher breaks then the guy who comes to fix it makes $100 an hour.  This means the poor people (literally poor) get demeaned for asking more than $15 when that is not even enough to pay 1/2 the rent on a house shared with a room-mate where I live.

So there is no outcry about cashier type jobs being sent to other countries.  The only ones here who can live on those wages are high school kids still living at home or people with a spouse who makes a helluva lot more.

On another note:

1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

this particular worker appears on a screen and only makes $3.75 an hour…from Nicaragua.

I can see this being a problem as most provinces have a mandated minimum wage for anyone working in the province, even someone who works from home.  This fellow should keep records as he may one day be the recipient of backpay from a class action suit from all the people not receiving minimum wage.  It would not be worth a lawyer's time to take it on now as the companies would just fire all the long distance employees but after they have been working a couple of years then the backpay would add up.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 5/1/2022 at 1:30 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

To be more accurate, I would say there is a huge shortage of people willing to work for low wages.

A general comment for the U.S. and maybe Canada.

Do teenagers still work or are they just sitting on their azz?  Fast food used to be the common first job for many and there was an endless supply of workers.

Signed:  Grumpy old man who walked 6 miles to school in the snow and then went to his part time job after school.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

A general comment for the U.S. and maybe Canada.

Do teenagers still work or are they just sitting on their azz?  Fast food used to be the common first job for many and there was an endless supply of workers.

Signed:  Grumpy old man who walked 6 miles to school in the snow and then went to his part time job after school.

Fast food in our area is a mix of teens and Mexicans. Minimum wage is $15 to $20 an hour depending on the local city. Low level turnover is extremely high. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Fast food in our area is a mix of teens and Mexicans. Minimum wage is $15 to $20 an hour depending on the local city. Low level turnover is extremely high. 

Just shows another reason why McDo and others want to expand globally.  I have checked before and a big Mac price is not that much less than the U.S. price.  Maybe 2/3rds???  Yet their labor costs are probably 1/10 or even less.  Cash cow.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 4/26/2022 at 2:45 PM, Gator said:

You mean profit before people? Not just in the Phils - just look at all the self serve checkout counters in the USA (I think Walmart led the way with those) and the self order kiosks in many fast food restos. How many jobs have both of those taken? Of course the counter argument is that it was done to keep prices low, lol

You may have missed this, but there are help wanted signs everywhere and employers are having a difficult time filling positions in the US. Covid triggered what they are now calling the great resignation. Millions of people have left the work force. Many retiring early. Starting wages have increased a great deal often including bonuses to start work.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 5/2/2022 at 1:07 PM, OnMyWay said:

Just shows another reason why McDo and others want to expand globally.  I have checked before and a big Mac price is not that much less than the U.S. price.  Maybe 2/3rds???  Yet their labor costs are probably 1/10 or even less.  Cash cow.

But export/ import of certain items will be more costly than store deliveries in the US? Meaning your burger Patty made in the US wont cost as much to deliver to the stores in the US but to ship them to places like the Philippines will cost more so prices have to reflect it regardless of cost of labour here to serve it.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

But export/ import of certain items will be more costly than store deliveries in the US? Meaning your burger Patty made in the US wont cost as much to deliver to the stores in the US but to ship them to places like the Philippines will cost more so prices have to reflect it regardless of cost of labour here to serve it.

Yes, for some items, but I'm fairly certain that McD has local supply chains for a lot of stuff, made to their specs.  Certainly the buns.  I wonder about the burger patties?  I google to see if I could find out how many burgers are sold in the Philippines but only found this.  Some interesting stuff there.

https://www.nationaltechcenter.org/mcdonalds-statistics-and-interesting-facts/center/

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, for some items, but I'm fairly certain that McD has local supply chains for a lot of stuff, made to their specs.  Certainly the buns.  I wonder about the burger patties?  I google to see if I could find out how many burgers are sold in the Philippines but only found this.  Some interesting stuff there.

https://www.nationaltechcenter.org/mcdonalds-statistics-and-interesting-facts/center/

I suspect it comes from Australia or New Zealand to save on transportation costs?

<snip>McDonald’s gets their beef from numerous farms and ranches that are located in the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.<end snip>

https://querysprout.com/where-does-mcdonalds-get-their-meat-supplier-type-of-meat-more/

• Like 1