Jolliobots appear in Manila store

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I have no doubt that’s true but the Aussie McDonalds burger meat tastes more like ‘ground beef’ is a fair part of the patty mix.  Here the burger meat is much blander… 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I have no doubt that’s true but the Aussie McDonalds burger meat tastes more like ‘ground beef’ is a fair part of the patty mix.  Here the burger meat is much blander… 

I miss good beef.  In the almost nine years I have lived here I have had two fairly good, but not great, steaks.   The rest, regardless of cost, were of very poor quality.  Tough and dry with a lot of gristle, even if cooked correctly (I prefer medium rare) they were a real disappointment.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

In the almost nine years I have lived here I have had two fairly good, but not great, steaks.

You are lucky.  Good, grilling quality, beef tenderloin steaks are going for $20 a pound where I am in Canada.  We are gonna bite the bullet and have a couple on Mother's Day but look at all the money you are saving. :clapping_80_anim_gif:

• Haha 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

I miss good beef.

If you ever get to Alabang I will point you towards a great steak place. Its is a Texas steak house theme run by a Japanese chef.....I might have lived here to long, but is is as good as Ruth chris back in the states at a fraction of price,,,,and that the waitresses look cute in cowboy boots and hats is a bonus 

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, scott h said:

If you ever get to Alabang I will point you towards a great steak place. Its is a Texas steak house theme run by a Japanese chef.....I might have lived here to long, but is is as good as Ruth chris back in the states at a fraction of price,,,,and that the waitresses look cute in cowboy boots and hats is a bonus 

Sounds like Texas Joe's here in Subic Bay.  They have some good beef but I did not think it was super good.  I have not been there in a few years.

Spent something like $35 for 18 Angus patties at S&R last week.  Member's Mark (Sam's Club?).  Grilled them all last night.  My wife grills them usually on a small open grill but I used my Weber type grill.  I don't think the local charcoal is great in a Weber.  When I kept the lid closed for a while, the smoke would leave a black residue on the patties.  So left it open most of the time.  They sell American charcoal briquets at Royal here, but they are very expensive.  Local charcoal is dirt cheap.

Possum
Posted
Posted

Ruth's Chris in Manila has the same quality steak as they have in their other restaurants in the world. Same price too...

hk blues
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Spent something like $35 for 18 Angus patties at S&R last week. 

We had them last night - at 100php they are reasonably good value I'd say.  

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

We had them last night - at 100php they are reasonably good value I'd say.  

They used to be quite a bit cheaper.  I used to buy similar in the U.S. (10 years ago) for $12??? And I think they used to be around 25-30 at S&R last year?

They have some U.S. frozen burgers at Royal here that have gone up to $20 for 8!  Not as good as those Angus.  Sometimes they have them on sale just before expiration and I can get them for $14.

I just checked.  $23.88 in the U.S.  I guess the premium here is not too bad.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/angus-beef-patties/prod20203707

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 5/7/2022 at 5:39 PM, OnMyWay said:

They used to be quite a bit cheaper.  I used to buy similar in the U.S. (10 years ago) for $12??? And I think they used to be around 25-30 at S&R last year?

They have some U.S. frozen burgers at Royal here that have gone up to $20 for 8!  Not as good as those Angus.  Sometimes they have them on sale just before expiration and I can get them for $14.

I just checked.  $23.88 in the U.S.  I guess the premium here is not too bad.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/angus-beef-patties/prod20203707

These are on sale at S&R San Fernando Pampanga.  P1799. About $34.33.

intrepid
Posted
Posted
On 5/5/2022 at 9:37 PM, scott h said:

Yes you are correct scott.  Our first time there was 2014 and when we moved there in 2016 we ate there several times a year.  Wooden Horse Steakhouse.  Can not be beat.  Great angus beef.    https://www.whsteakhouse.com/

• Like 1
  • Love it 1