Covid Australia hits my family

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

My sister and bro in-law just came back from 2 weeks in Fiji. About 2 days after arriving home they both have covid. In Fiji they were tested and negative.

But the worrying thing is my mother, 89 years of age and not good health tested positive yesterday with RAT test and results from PCR test comming tomorrow. Both my sister and bro in law have not seen my mother for 3 weeks so it was not from them.

My brother says he feels he has something but negative RAT test and he visited my mother a few days ago. The city where they all live of about 12k people and main hub of the whole regional area now has high numbers of cases  and the army has been brought in. Not sure what they do or if they shoot anyone that wants to end it quickly.

Anyway all my family have had 2 shots at least but seems that no one is immune.

My sister will survive as she said hers is more like flu symptoms but as l said my mother might find it hard. My eldest sister has moved in with mum for now to help her so she will probably be next.

Damn Covid :facepalm_80_anim_gif:

• Sad 9

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

My sister and bro in-law just came back from 2 weeks in Fiji. About 2 days after arriving home they both have covid. In Fiji they were tested and negative.

But the worrying thing is my mother, 89 years of age and not good health tested positive yesterday with RAT test and results from PCR test comming tomorrow. Both my sister and bro in law have not seen my mother for 3 weeks so it was not from them.

My brother says he feels he has something but negative RAT test and he visited my mother a few days ago. The city where they all live of about 12k people and main hub of the whole regional area now has high numbers of cases  and the army has been brought in. Not sure what they do or if they shoot anyone that wants to end it quickly.

Anyway all my family have had 2 shots at least but seems that no one is immune.

My sister will survive as she said hers is more like flu symptoms but as l said my mother might find it hard. My eldest sister has moved in with mum for now to help her so she will probably be next.

Damn Covid :facepalm_80_anim_gif:

Army medics are mainly being used in these cases.

Both my parents had it in the last couple of weeks, dad ended up in hospital with lung issues but mum suffered mild head cold symptoms only, dad was discharged after a week and is doing fine now.  Both in their late 70's. 

My brother (46), who's fit and healthy as well as triple vaccinated was laid up for about 5 days and he said it reminded him of when he had influenza (the real flu, not a cold) a few years back i.e. he felt like a bag of shite and death warmed up and found it hard to get out of bed, but not worth going to hospital.  

All are triple vaccinated, mum and my brother tested positive on RT and PCR, dad PCR only.  

I think the idea of efficacy has gone out the window.... 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

But the worrying thing is my mother

I hear that.  Similar thing here.  But the old birds are the strong ones so we hope for the best.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Army medics are mainly being used in these cases.

Both my parents had it in the last couple of weeks, dad ended up in hospital with lung issues but mum suffered mild head cold symptoms only, dad was discharged after a week and is doing fine now.  Both in their late 70's. 

My brother (46), who's fit and healthy as well as triple vaccinated was laid up for about 5 days and he said it reminded him of when he had influenza (the real flu, not a cold) a few years back i.e. he felt like a bag of shite and death warmed up and found it hard to get out of bed, but not worth going to hospital.  

All are triple vaccinated, mum and my brother tested positive on RT and PCR, dad PCR only.  

I think the idea of efficacy has gone out the window.... 

I feel the main issue is not so much the efficacy of the vaccines as the poor communication/understanding around what the vaccines would do i.e. not prevent Covid but minimise the impact. 

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I hear that.  Similar thing here.  But the old birds are the strong ones so we hope for the best.

Yes she is a tough old bird. Test today was confirmed positive. Funny thing my sister is staying with her both quarantining. Anyway my mum yells out to my sister that the man delivering meals is here. My sister tells her we have to wait until he has gone, mum says, oh, I did not know that. :smile:

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Glad to hear that at this point all are doing well or did well when it was their turn. It is now estimated based on testing that 60% of those in the US have already had COVID.

• Like 1