Ridiculous!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Apparently here in Subic Bay Freeport there is one Dr. who approves get togethers.  My Kindergarten daughter's private school was told that he must give the OK for the school to hold face to face "moving up" and graduation ceremonies on May 13.  He said fine as long as the situation does not change and the following protocols are followed.:

• ALL participants should be fully vaccinated. If not, present a negative COVID 19 antigen test result done within 24 hours prior to the activity
  • No participants shall be allowed if with flu-like symptoms.
  • Screening of participants and guests at the venue (using the health declaration form)
  • Strict observance of Minimum Public Health Standards ( proper physical distancing, wearing of mask)
  • Contact tracing protocols in case somebody tests positive a week or 2 after your activity.

So, I questioned the "ALL participants" must be vaccinated or present a negative Covid 19 test result.  There is no IATF order that 5 year old kids must be vaccinated or present a Covid 19 test result in order to participate in an event.  For example, Kidzoona in the Freeport allows all kids in with vaccinated adults.  Unvaccinated kids are allowed everywhere.  Supermarkets, theatres, play places etc.

I asked the school to double check and after a few weeks, he came back again and said that is the rule.  So next, on April 18th, I wrote him a very polite e-mail asking for clarification.  No response.

Last week, another private school here had their F2F ceremony.  Our kids used to go there and we know quite a few kids and parents there.  There was no such requirement for the kids to be vaccinated or tested.  Our other school is planning their F2F ceremony.  No such requirement.

I'm not sure what steps I will take next.  I can't find any evidence that this guy is a practicing medical doctor.  He is more of a bureaucrat.. 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

He is more of a bureaucrat.. 

Don, you misspelled "Petty Tyrant". 

• Haha 5

Freebie
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm not sure what steps I will take next.  I can't find any evidence that this guy is a practicing medical doctor.  He is more of a bureaucrat.. 

Covid has taught us that there are sooo many experts .. people who we  didnt know were experts became " instant experts " on knowing whats good for us. And not being shy about telling us.

Covid also taught us theres a lot of experts who " I can do more than you can do".. so expert A makes one set of restrictions, expert B increases the restrictions and of course expert C sees a wonderful opportunity to show off his knowledge and increase the restrictions even more. Every barangay taught us that during covid.

Next steps...ask him to show his "expert credentials" and the basis on which he makes these nonsensical rules.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

So next, on April 18th, I wrote him a very polite e-mail asking for clarification. 

If I was you I would get Filipinos to follow this up and stay out of it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Don,

Ridiculous indeed. For a contrast, below is a letter we received yesterday from our daughters preschool. FYI, children at my daughters preschool have never been required to wear masks and adult staff have not worn masks for almost a year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am writing to inform families that I have just been notified of a
   child that tested positive for COVID today after showing symptoms
   overnight.  To determine your child's level of exposure - The child was
   in attendance in the Lions class on Monday and in LODO+.
   I have discussed current COVID guidance with LODO leadership and we
   will require the following:
   Students will not be required to quarantine at this time, but we will
   monitor for any COVID symptoms.  If a child exhibits any symptoms of
   COVID, they will be required to quarantine and/or be tested.  Please
   check for symptoms prior to bringing your child to school.  Students
   with symptoms can attend school with a negative COVID test.  Test
   results will need to be submitted to me from your lab results, or a
   photo taken of an at-home test.  If additional cases arise in the
   class/school, quarantines may be put in place.
   A child that tests positive for COVID will be required to quarantine
   for 10 days before returning to school.  Our young learners are not
   able to wear a mask consistently throughout the day and most are not
   eligible to receive the COVID vaccine.  We are unable to provide a
   separate space for snack, lunch, or nap time when masks would be
   removed.
   Thank you for your understanding as we continue to navigate maintaining
   a healthy learning environment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Freebie said:

Covid has taught us that there are sooo many experts .. people who we  didnt know were experts became " instant experts " on knowing whats good for us. And not being shy about telling us.

Covid also taught us theres a lot of experts who " I can do more than you can do".. so expert A makes one set of restrictions, expert B increases the restrictions and of course expert C sees a wonderful opportunity to show off his knowledge and increase the restrictions even more. Every barangay taught us that during covid.

Next steps...ask him to show his "expert credentials" and the basis on which he makes these nonsensical rules.

1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

If I was you I would get Filipinos to follow this up and stay out of it. 

Here in the Philippines, I always lean towards JGF's advice.  My wife and I have been politely aggressive with the school on this, but they say their hands are tied.  They are going to try to speak to him again after we gave them evidence of the other schools face to face ceremony, but they seem scared of him.

This is the other school last week.  They did have masks for most of the time but took them off for some photos.

278835646_520608756334489_699335705280305331_n.jpg

I think this might be a case of Filipino pride.  He does not want to admit he made a mistake.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I think this might be a case of Filipino pride.  He does not want to admit he made a mistake.

Could someone ask the local mayor's office of covid rules as they should know for the local area.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Could someone ask the local mayor's office of covid rules as they should know for the local area.

We don't have a mayor; we have a Chairman of the Freeport.  I can't remember if I posted about the local Freeport leadership changes, but the Chairman is now Rolen Paulino Sr., former mayor of Olongapo, and his son, Rolen Paulino Jr. is the current mayor of Olongapo.

What you said is my next step, but I will try to engage one of my politically active Filipino neighbors to see if they can approach the Chairman if needed.  Our neighborhood leaders are well engaged with the former Chairwoman's office, but I am not sure about the new chairman.  However, in general, we are happy with him so far.

• Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, earthdome said:

Don,

Ridiculous indeed. For a contrast, below is a letter we received yesterday from our daughters preschool. FYI, children at my daughters preschool have never been required to wear masks and adult staff have not worn masks for almost a year.

I am writing to inform families that I have just been notified of a
   child that tested positive for COVID today after showing symptoms
   overnight.  To determine your child's level of exposure - The child was
   in attendance in the Lions class on Monday and in LODO+.
   I have discussed current COVID guidance with LODO leadership and we
   will require the following:
   Students will not be required to quarantine at this time, but we will
   monitor for any COVID symptoms.  If a child exhibits any symptoms of
   COVID, they will be required to quarantine and/or be tested.  Please
   check for symptoms prior to bringing your child to school.  Students
   with symptoms can attend school with a negative COVID test.  Test
   results will need to be submitted to me from your lab results, or a
   photo taken of an at-home test.  If additional cases arise in the
   class/school, quarantines may be put in place.
   A child that tests positive for COVID will be required to quarantine
   for 10 days before returning to school.  Our young learners are not
   able to wear a mask consistently throughout the day and most are not
   eligible to receive the COVID vaccine.  We are unable to provide a
   separate space for snack, lunch, or nap time when masks would be
   removed.
   Thank you for your understanding as we continue to navigate maintaining
   a healthy learning environment.

That the teachers nor the children have been required to wear masks before makes this doctor's response ridiculous. The Dr is apparently out of touch with reality.

My daughter was not allowed to attend in class instruction for kindergarten until recently due to Covid restrictions. This was a public school. She did on line course work and in the last month began attending class twice a week to review her on line progress. She as well as the teacher are required to wear masks in class. I will add that the only reason she enrolled in public school kindergarten is because it is a prerequisite for admittance to first grade whether public or private school. During the pandemic she took online Singapore math and science lessons and they served her well.

All in all I think the Covid issue has been handled well here, with the exception of the now defunct face shield requirement. The doctor who issued the instructions probably erred on the side of caution. My question to that doctor would be where was he while the children and teachers were unmasked if masking is so important. Why make it an issue now?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

What you said is my next step, but I will try to engage one of my politically active Filipino neighbors to see if they can approach the Chairman if needed. 

Another note, I am waiting to see the new IATF rules for May 1.  That may give this doc an out and enable him to save face.  There are zero recorded active cases locally.