Condo Living, Illogical Policies, and Privacy

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, KenM said:

I don’t know how to set up a poll but I think man would benefit from some way to know the policies at condos before renting or buying.

I would think the condo would have a written set of rules/regulations.  Quite a few years back we were very interested in a condo. We asked for and received a lengthy document that set out the rules and conditions.  Perhaps a "show me where that rules where that is written" is the answer to your issues?

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have an apartment within a resort on Boracay, they are strict on some things and not strict on others. I'm allowed guests as long as I message the manager and warn the security off, it's usually along the lines of I'd like two guests to visit, get clearance and 8 turn up.  I can carry out repairs as long as I put a work order in probably so they know I'm not doing anything dodgy with the electrics and they let me park my motorcycle with the staff parking, if I as much as leave it at the bottom of my apartment for one minute security turn up and ask me to move it then they leave there's in the same spot.  :bonk:They accept parcels for me with no issues.  All in I'm happy as the security don't allow people in and out unless known. 

Edited by Snowy79
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I don't live on a condo but in a gated community so we suffer/benefit from much of the same stuff.

Visitors are supposed to be pre-registeted- rule ignored. Deliveries pre-registered - ignored in the main except for big stuff (ironically, it's the big stuff which is less likely to be dodgy IMO). Parking is poor - a slalom when driving down a street. Construction requires a pass or permit but the same permit seems to last a lifetime.

All in all, they apply the rules pragmatically so all's good.

KenM
Posted
Posted (edited)

For myself, I would love it if anyone were to chime in with the places to live with the most reasonable policies. It's more complicated in my case because they must allow my medium sized dog that doesn't even bark and follows my instructions. I hear good things in general about city lights but don't know about packages for example. I know they allowed guests during the height of covid, checked temperatures, and required masks. But no silly bans. I assume the owners have been able to set the rules. Too bad it's far away from shopping Etc. Grand Residences banned guests which is ridiculous. But they will accept packages for you once you fill out a waiver. The construction quality there is terrible, however, the elevators are slow and are unreliable. 

For others, I think they buy units or rent without expecting these sorts of problems. I've lived in a number of full service buildings in the states, condos or apartments, and it's just expected that you can get packages. Not something I thought to ask about. If potential buyers knew these rules, no guests, no packages, pay extra for guests, and so forth they would be reluctant to buy. Or rent for that matter. Speaking for myself I was looking to buy in the new building but not now. Moreover, Solinea does not have enough amenities for when and if these buildings are all occupied in the future. The future does not look good and people don't think about those things.  I do think the rules that are being followed are written down for the most part. Just not consistently enforced. One guard who doesn't seem to like me has had one of my guests leave their id and vax card with her. That is not the actual rule. The greater issue is that the rules don't serve the interests of residents. Until recently, it was not permitted to swim after 5 p.m. for example. There was no good reason for that. It just cut down on the number of staff in the pool area. Saved them a few hundred pesos per night. 

Edited by KenM

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, KenM said:

For myself, I would love it if anyone were to chime in with the places to live with the most reasonable policies. It's more complicated in my case because they must allow my medium sized dog that doesn't even bark and follows my instructions. I hear good things in general about city lights but don't know about packages for example. I know they allowed guests during the height of covid, checked temperatures, and required masks. But no silly bans. I assume the owners have been able to set the rules. Too bad it's far away from shopping Etc. Grand Residences banned guests which is ridiculous. But they will accept packages for you once you fill out a waiver. The construction quality there is terrible, however, the elevators are slow and are unreliable. 

For others, I think they buy units or rent without expecting these sorts of problems. I've lived in a number of full service buildings in the states, condos or apartments, and it's just expected that you can get packages. Not something I thought to ask about. If potential buyers knew these rules, no guests, no packages, pay extra for guests, and so forth they would be reluctant to buy. Or rent for that matter. Speaking for myself I was looking to buy in the new building but not now. Moreover, Solinea does not have enough amenities for when and if these buildings are all occupied in the future. The future does not look good and people don't think about those things.  I do think the rules that are being followed are written down for the most part. Just not consistently enforced. One guard who doesn't seem to like me has had one of my guests leave their id and vax card with her. That is not the actual rule. The greater issue is that the rules don't serve the interests of residents. Until recently, it was not permitted to swim after 5 p.m. for example. There was no good reason for that. It just cut down on the number of staff in the pool area. Saved them a few hundred pesos per night. 

I live in the IT Park and renting but have seen the rule book that owners get. Very thick and detailed. Tenants or owners can go to the admin office to check rules before buying or renting.

Since covid rules here changed but relaxed mostly now. We used to get package's or food delivered to the door but now must be picked up out side the lobby or there's a table to leave packages. Water once again is delivered to our door.  In a way its better than having unknown people roaming through the building. Who knows if someone is pretending to deliver a package but really coming to shoot you dead. Condo living is more secure and thats why some prefer a condo.

Pool always charged for non guests or visitors. 

Covid rules were and are enforced as to what ever the rules of the day are.

In another post you complained about a new security guard asking if you live there. Not sure why its a bid deal as he would not know who you are and besides bet you would not like if they let in terrorist's with bombs so they are only doing their job.. As soon as you begin living here they soon get to know you and Dave believes it has to do with what price you pay but I doubt it as they remember faces going through the lobby.

As for guest visiting, always been the rule here they must register and leave ID to get a visitor pass.

Overall I have no problem how most things are run here, all staff are friendly but I have lived here almost 6 years so they know me.

Actually one thing I recall when moving from one tower to the other or leaving for good is you must fill out a form for release. The unit owner signs and you fill in details as to what you are removing from the building. This is to ensure no one just skips town and leaves with debts owing or steal the owners things.

And to answer how to start a poll, you have to do it when you create a new topic, at the top of the editor it says content or poll.

Edited

Just to add. It depends on the management of a condo building and how they operate. Here the board meets every 3 months I think in normal times. A notice is put up so if anyone wants to attend they can and voice their complaints or suggestion's. Where I live it appears to be well maintained. Always doing something such as painting walkways at the entrance etc so if buying best to check out the companies other projects to see how they went.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Mike J said:

I would think the condo would have a written set of rules/regulations. 

The condo I stayed in for a month had just such a written set of rules/regulations taped to the coffee table.  Not a single one made any common sense and fortunately, not a single one was enforced.  Sorry I did not take a pic of the list.  It was too stupid to do more than glance at.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 7/2/2022 at 7:22 PM, KenM said:

I don’t know how to set up a poll but I think man would benefit from some way to know the policies at condos before renting or buying. Or if we can’t gather up that information at least to know what questions to ask. 

The latest problems at Solinea are that they are charging for guests to use the pool and are insisting that you must be home to receive any deliveries. Now this is enforced in a very unfair manner. In my own case some guards like me more than others or are more sticklers for the rules. It is ridiculous for a condo with so many staff to have a policy of not accepting packages for residents. The whole reason to live in a condo is convenience. To come and go as you want. And older folks who may not be able to come downstairs easily. In my own case I can’t always be home and often am on work calls and can’t come down. Policies like this will continue until management sees a price for them. 

Please come at live at our complex for a few weeks as for sure your gona realize just how lucky you are.

Our management team are just a set of nazies led by a huge fat lesbian commandant.  There have been efforts to remove her to no avail, apparently she has a relative whom occupies a high place in the ownership company. Her sole purpose in life is to ensure the most discomfort to renters and owners as possible. Last 3 years the pool is a green cess pit. Several court cases have not helped, any arguments she doubles or trebles power account. 

We own our unit, otherwise like many would of left, small argument a year ago and the commandant was down to Immigration to attempt my deportation.  My friend whom also crossed blades with her had a sex charge laid him....Fortunately the police did not believe a word and refused to entertain the bitch.   

My partner and I just live below the radar and accept it for what it is. 

• Sad 3

KenM
Posted
Posted
On 7/4/2022 at 1:11 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

n another post you complained about a new security guard asking if you live there. Not sure why its a bid deal as he would not know who you are and besides bet you would not like if they let in terrorist's with bombs so they are only doing their job.. As soon as you begin living here they soon get to know you and Dave believes it has to do with what price you pay but I doubt it as they remember faces going through the lobby.

I did not complain about guards wanting to know if I live here. They know I live here. They are required to write down your unit and the time you leave and the time you enter the building. There is no good reason for that. They say it's in case of fire. Which is BS. The fireteam won't be looking through the books and the books are not accurate at any rate. 

I have lived in condos on two continents and this island. The policies here are completely unreasonable and vary. As long as people hand over their cash like sheep then these sorts of policies will remain. 

KenM
Posted
Posted
On 7/4/2022 at 7:30 AM, RBM said:

We own our unit, otherwise like many would of left, small argument a year ago and the commandant was down to Immigration to attempt my deportation.  My friend whom also crossed blades with her had a sex charge laid him....Fortunately the police did not believe a word and refused to entertain the bitch.   

What are the details of these court cases? Did you consider suing her for liable? Or making a complaint of your own? Have you looked into the health regulations for the pool? Or rights to refuse collectively to pay dues into escrow and such? 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 7/5/2022 at 11:47 AM, KenM said:

I did not complain about guards wanting to know if I live here

Correct, it was another member in post 2 of this topic but I was thinking I read it from you. It was awhile ago so my memory was wrong. 

• Like 1