Throwaway Ticket

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, ThaiWolf said:

I can't find anything anywhere near them prices. Could you kindly give me a link? 

I did not know your dates at the time but check here, https://www.google.com/travel/flights/search?

Or https://www.airasia.com/en/gb . Your outbound needs to be any time within 30 days of arrival.

forum flight.PNG       forum flight 2.PNG

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 5/20/2022 at 12:19 AM, Joey G said:

yep... I see your problem...  you got several things working against you... biggest ones is the rush of people flying for the summer plus many who haven't been back and forth for awhile...  if you go out to September you could fly for $4,500 and even Singapore Airlines for $5,500. With kids I'm guessing school drives the dates.  

$3.500 for 5 in 2017 was a deal though !

Related article but the content is mostly in their video.

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/travel-plane-ticket-prices-highest-205953720.html

Travel: Plane ticket prices at highest in seven years, airlines face staffing shortages

Yahoo Finance's Vera Gibbons explains how oil prices are driving up the cost of plane tickets, how airlines are dealing with staffing shortages, and how travel is rebounding.

Joey G
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Related article but the content is mostly in their video.

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/travel-plane-ticket-prices-highest-205953720.html

Travel: Plane ticket prices at highest in seven years, airlines face staffing shortages

Yahoo Finance's Vera Gibbons explains how oil prices are driving up the cost of plane tickets, how airlines are dealing with staffing shortages, and how travel is rebounding.

I find these sort of articles/stories misleading...  the question is "highest where/when????"   I just checked... can easily fly R/T from the East Coast to Hawaii for under $700 as long as I buy now for early August. That was a "sale price" 20 years ago.  East Coast to Manila R/T for $1,100 same time frame. Tickets to the Philippines were $800 R/T in the early 90's. 

But I totally get your situation... buying tickets anywhere in the summer has always been more expensive, unless you purchase waaay in advance... and in todays environment thats a bigger risk than most would take.

On the OP's situation... I saw a one way ticket from Manila to Singapore for $70... how much cheaper can you get???

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Joey G said:

I find these sort of articles/stories misleading...  the question is "highest where/when????"   I just checked... can easily fly R/T from the East Coast to Hawaii for under $700 as long as I buy now for early August. That was a "sale price" 20 years ago.  East Coast to Manila R/T for $1,100 same time frame. Tickets to the Philippines were $800 R/T in the early 90's. 

But I totally get your situation... buying tickets anywhere in the summer has always been more expensive, unless you purchase waaay in advance... and in todays environment thats a bigger risk than most would take.

On the OP's situation... I saw a one way ticket from Manila to Singapore for $70... how much cheaper can you get???

Hopefully they are looking at the big picture.

In the 80s and 90's, retail LAX/HNL was $250-300 and was that much for years.  The company I worked for would buy them in bulk for less than $200.

• 2 weeks later...
Colsie
Posted
Posted
On 5/20/2022 at 10:03 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

I did not know your dates at the time but check here, https://www.google.com/travel/flights/search?

Or https://www.airasia.com/en/gb . Your outbound needs to be any time within 30 days of arrival.

forum flight.PNG       forum flight 2.PNG

Why does the outbound need to be within 30 days of arrival? 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Colsie said:

Why does the outbound need to be within 30 days of arrival? 

Because since the pandemic that is the IATF rules.You can still extend though. The new resolution does not actually say within 30 days but makes no sense either. Page 2/E

https://iatf.doh.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/20220526-IATF-Resolution-168-RRD.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0FRtEqEs6QkDZfQ-NkUz-TPQIweUSzegVLaaV5QSdNIN3pEap-yNukCC8

Just to Add March resolution wording says 30 days where as the new one does not

MARCH

march.jpg

Possum
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think some folks don't understand why there has to be an exit ticket from the Philippines within 30 days of arrival. The reason is the Philippine government only issues an initial 30 day stay for visitors. Sure you can extend and many do for a long time but the Philippine government instructs the airlines that they must insure the visitor will leave in 30 days to comply with the basic initial immigration law. That is ALL the air carrier  and the folks that check you in in your country know. They do not know you may extend your visitor visa. All the air carrier knows is that if they allow a passenger to board a flight without proving the passenger has proof of leaving the Philippines within the maximum 30 day limit the airline will be held responsible and it could cost them money. The airline will have to pay the Philippine government for housing the violator as well as paying for the flight out of the country. This is a normal requirement for most countries accepting visitors. Therefore the airlines require one to prove you intend to leave. They do not require a round trip ticket just a ticket out of the country. Any country will do. Every country I have visited has the similar requirement and they require the airlines to insure the passengers meet the requirements or else the airline can be fined, denied further entry and be responsible for repatriating the traveler to their home country.

Edited by Greglm
change same to similar

Colsie
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Because since the pandemic that is the IATF rules.You can still extend though. The new resolution does not actually say within 30 days but makes no sense either. Page 2/E

https://iatf.doh.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/20220526-IATF-Resolution-168-RRD.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0FRtEqEs6QkDZfQ-NkUz-TPQIweUSzegVLaaV5QSdNIN3pEap-yNukCC8

Just to Add March resolution wording says 30 days where as the new one does not

MARCH

march.jpg

Just a query as I and many other expats have been coming into the country for the past 15yrs and there was no rule stipulating that the "throwaway ticket" had to be within 30 days of arrival. 

Infact, on my last entry Dec 2019 my outward ticket was for March 2020...A few of my aussie mates used to get their return flight out of the PH nearly 12 months later than their arrival so they could change it should they want to leave before the 6 month exit clearance requirement or just as a backup to get out of Dodge easier. 

I'm guessing as a return back to normal, there isn't a need for the onward flight to be within 30days of arrival. As you've stated, there's no such mention of this in the latest release. 

This as always given more flexibility in obtaining the cheapest throwaway as you're not as limited in your selection. 

Edited by Colsie
Not

Colsie
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Greglm said:

I think some folks don't understand why there has to be an exit ticket from the Philippines within 30 days of arrival. The reason is the Philippine government only issues an initial 30 day stay for visitors. Sure you can extend and many do for a long time but the Philippine government instructs the airlines that they must insure the visitor will leave in 30 days to comply with the basic initial immigration law. That is ALL the air carrier  and the folks that check you in in your country know. They do not know you may extend your visitor visa. All the air carrier knows is that if they allow a passenger to board a flight without proving the passenger has proof of leaving the Philippines within the maximum 30 day limit the airline will be held responsible and it could cost them money. The airline will have to pay the Philippine government for housing the violator as well as paying for the flight out of the country. This is a normal requirement for most countries accepting visitors. Therefore the airlines require one to prove you intend to leave. They do not require a round trip ticket just a ticket out of the country. Any country will do. Every country I have visited has the similar requirement and they require the airlines to insure the passengers meet the requirements or else the airline can be fined, denied further entry and be responsible for repatriating the traveler to their home country.

If this is a new rule then so be it. But I've been flying here into the Philippines since 2006 and living here full time since 2011. There has never been a rule stating that the onward ticket has to be within 30 days of arrival...yes, understand about only getting 30days visa exemption (used to be 21 days until 2013). But here in the Philippines that doesn't matter, you're thinking to logically 🤔

The airlines only follow the rules, and the rule was/is that the passenger has an onward ticket out of the PI 

Most South East Asia countries do not even require an onward ticket, as you can leave their country by land crossings. 

Edited by Colsie
Oops

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Greglm said:

I think some folks don't understand why there has to be an exit ticket from the Philippines within 30 days of arrival.

You do also understand that the 30 day rule only came in when they started to again allow tourist. It used to be that an outbound ticket can be dated anytime but when the IATF got involved they changed it. Now as I pointed out the written rule is now missing 30 days in reading the latest resolution. 

This is a question I put to immigration years ago and as Colsie said, in the past it could be dated anytime and looks like it may have returned to that.

From immigration years ago

onward date.jpg