Throwaway Ticket

Colsie
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, ThaiWolf said:

My allowable period of stay as a tourist is upto 36 months with visa extentions. No mention of 30days? 

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

30 days upon arrival.  Go to immigration the supervisor at the airport and extend to 59 days, must be paid in PHP.  Before your 59 days is up extend for up to 6 months at a time at your local BI office until you reach 3 years from your arrival date.

Edited by BrettGC
Fixing fat finger phone idiocy.

Colsie
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

30 days upon arrival.  Go to immigration the supervisor at the airport and extend to 59 days, must be paid in PHP.  Before your 59 days is up extend for up to 6 months at a time at your local BI office until you reach 3 years from your arrival date.

That's great info BrettGC, thanks...

I just need to have somthing formal written down that states to prove that I can extend the visa on arrival, should there be a debate at check-in. 

Post covid restrictions it appears than immigration seem to want to go back to the old normal and encourage tourists and the economy.

Longer term this might not be the case as we saw precovid, there were signs that immigration wanted residence to get the correct visa to come into the country and live here...but at the end of the day, the current system of letting foreigners pay by extentions must be very profitable

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Colsie said:

That's great info BrettGC, thanks...

I just need to have somthing formal written down that states to prove that I can extend the visa on arrival, should there be a debate at check-in. 

Post covid restrictions it appears than immigration seem to want to go back to the old normal and encourage tourists and the economy.

Longer term this might not be the case as we saw precovid, there were signs that immigration wanted residence to get the correct visa to come into the country and live here...but at the end of the day, the current system of letting foreigners pay by extentions must be very profitable

Sorry I can't confirm that for you mate, I entered on a 9A as the spouse of a Filipino when restrictions were much tighter back in January, the rules I cited were the old normal.  I believe it's basically back to normal, but as I said, I can't confirm.  There's been a few members that have entered as tourists recently so perhaps they could let us know their experience.  

• Like 1

ThaiWolf
Posted
Posted

I suppose a lot is in the way you read the immigration announcement.
My take on it is that it applies to the permission of stay your are first stamped with. 
As such I entered on a 30 day visa exempt so my return ticket must be within this time period.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, ThaiWolf said:

I think you will find it is all in the way that one officer at the entry post reads the rules.  That one guy is GOD when it comes to granting you entry.  99% of the guys and gals there just want to do their job and avoid stress but there is always the one.   Sure, you can ask to speak to his supervisor.  Sometimes that helps, but they usually cover for each other.

Colsie
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I think you will find it is all in the way that one officer at the entry post reads the rules.  That one guy is GOD when it comes to granting you entry.  99% of the guys and gals there just want to do their job and avoid stress but there is always the one.   Sure, you can ask to speak to his supervisor.  Sometimes that helps, but they usually cover for each other.

Oh so true... Back in 2019 the girl and I were exiting Philippine immigration for a 9 week trip overseas and as required she passed her flight itinerary showing her return ticket to Bangkok. 

Well, what followed was an ordeal that seem to last 30 mins of rudeness and accusations by the female immigration officer, she kept shouting I know what you're doing... So embarrassing for the girl as the queue of waiting passengers grew and grew...

I knew that getting cross with the officer would just make things worse. I think her main problem was that the Bangkok ticket had a return date 9 weeks after arrival. It didn't matter to her that we'd both travelled overseas together 3 times previously. But, luckily I had prepared a folder showing that we had tickets to the Motogp in Thailand and Malaysia. I also showed that we had flight itineraries and hotel bookings showing that we were going to travel out of Thailand to, Cambodia, Malaysia, Bali and Singapore...

Eventually... She went quiet and became subdued and let us travel, no apology or anything... 

My girl at the time was 23yo, but she was dressed formally and did not deserve the innuendos and comments made by the officer...she's now frightened of going through immigration... 

But I knew at the time, that this officer could have so easily of stopped us leaving, they have that power and unless you can justify your innocence they would... Guilty until proven innocent... and the probability would be that their supervisor would back them up against strangers... 

It was a superb holiday, we got back to the Philippines and the Christmas eve  typhoon nearly wiped us out....then a few weeks later covid pandemic :shock_40_anim_gif:

Edited by Colsie
  • Like 1

Colsie
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, ThaiWolf said:

My take on it is that it applies to the permission of stay your are first stamped with. 
As such I entered on a 30 day visa exempt so my return ticket must be within this time period.

There's two options to be 100% sure 

1.The throw away ticket; Get the onward within the 30 days of arrival, book it a long way in advance to get the best price...or get one that can be cancelled without loss. 

2.The usable onward ticket; Get the onward ticket with changeable date with little or no fees. 

Gator
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Although I agree with what you say, I’m more concerned about the initial (and oft uninformed) gatekeeper …… the airline clerk who checks you in at your first point of departure. It’s how they or their corporate attorneys decide to interpret the rules as to whether or not they’ll let you board the aircraft. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
russellmania
Posted
Posted
On 6/9/2022 at 6:08 AM, Gator said:

Although I agree with what you say, I’m more concerned about the initial (and oft uninformed) gatekeeper …… the airline clerk who checks you in at your first point of departure. It’s how they or their corporate attorneys decide to interpret the rules as to whether or not they’ll let you board the aircraft. 

I heard some people are using whats called "Rent a Ticket" which is a legit flight itinerary good for 48hrs to use at check in and Phils immigration. The ticket is auto cancels after 48hrs. They running 20 bucks or so. Cheaper than throwaway tickets for sure.

• Like 1