Covid Immigration Policies Returning to normal.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

The latest release from Immigration states the following, nothing about the waiver for visa extensions over 36 months though: 

17 May 2022
PRESS RELEASE
BI transitions back to normal, resumes biometrics capturing for alien registration
MANILA, Philippines - After two years of operating with restrictive measures, the Bureau of Immigration (BI) announces the lifting of some of the temporary suspension, and exemptions given to aliens that were put in place to curb the coronavirus.
BI Commissioner Jaime Morente said given that Metro Manila and other provinces remain under Alert Level 1 which allows for less stringent movement of individuals, government services are moving back to normal operations.
In a memorandum, Morente said that the bureau will resume biometrics capturing and fingerprinting of foreign nationals under the Alien Registration Program (ARP) and issuance of Special Security Registration Number (SSRN) as requirements for processing of foreign nationals.
During the pandemic, the BI temporarily suspended biometrics capturing in a bid to lessen physical contact during document processing.
However, according to BI Alien Registration Division (ARD) Chief Atty. Jose Carlitos Licas, Jr., biometric capturing remains necessary to ensure alien records remain complete and accurate.
Licas said that the ARD will also resume issuing emigration clearance certificate (ECCs), a document required by law for aliens who have stayed in the country for more than 6 months. “The issuance of ECCs, which also requires biometric capturing, must be secured from any authorized BI office at least 72 hours prior to the foreign national’s departure from the country,” he stated.
Licas also said that the lifting of the suspension meant that biometrics capturing and fingerprinting for all foreign nationals required for visa renewal as well as other immigration transactions shall resume.
Morente further renewed his call, however, to continuously follow public health protocols and remain cautious under the new normal. “The virus is still a threat, but this time we are now armed with the knowledge on how to protect ourselves from it. As we transition to the new normal, we urge the public to continue following health protocols so we may continue to keep each other safe from this virus," he added.
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

The virus is still a threat, but this time we are now armed with the knowledge on how to protect ourselves from it.

At the risk of going off topic, I sure wish he would share "how to protect ourselves from it."  It seems to me that none of the "protection" works so just get it and be done with it.  Back to normal now. 

Additionally, if we now know "how to protect ourselves from it." can we stop getting insurance and OneHealth crap to get past immigration when coming to the Philippines as tourists.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Licas also said that the lifting of the suspension meant that biometrics capturing and fingerprinting for all foreign nationals required for visa renewal as well as other immigration transactions shall resume.

About Three and a half years ago when I got a ECC I was not fingerprinted and never have in the 5.9 years I have been here.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

About Three and a half years ago when I got a ECC I was not fingerprinted and never have in the 5.9 years I have been here.

I kind of remember having electronic finger prints when getting my ACR card and also applying for driver license?  I believe the electronic image is stored on the card but could be wrong.  Also I was finger printed with ink and later questioned by PNP personnel when my name came up on the "hit list" when applying for my 13A visa.   That was a bit nerve wracking as the guy with my name has a rather lengthy list of offenses and was "wanted for questioning in connection with a homicide".   

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I kind of remember having electronic finger prints when getting my ACR card and also applying for driver license?  I believe the electronic image is stored on the card but could be wrong.  Also I was finger printed with ink and later questioned by PNP personnel when my name came up on the "hit list" when applying for my 13A visa.   That was a bit nerve wracking as the guy with my name has a rather lengthy list of offenses and was "wanted for questioning in connection with a homicide".   

!9 hours ago, while the Boracay/Kalibo BI office for my 9a tourist visa ECC ( 2 year, 6 month stay duration),  I had my fingerprints taken via electronic finger scanner device, and also was photographed for the computer entry system.  First time, since I have always used a distant MNL travel agent for these last 19 years and never had to go into a BI office. 

I also had brought with me the required 3 photos (2x2, white background, etc.), which were attached to the two identical ECC documents.  Then with a ink stamp pad, I applied my two thumb prints to the 2 forms where req.'d. Since the form requires these things, they still do it.... at least in my case. These is in addition to the aforementioned computer record she recorded several minutes before.  I rec'd one form and she kept the other, along with photocopies of my passport bio, entry stamp page, my 3 ACR-I cards (both sides),..... all in color..... and after looking over all my original 2 month visa extension receipts..... she kept the photocopies I had made of each or her. I also provided a photocopy of my international air ticket.

Regulations and forms are what they know and do, even when redundant or perhaps unnecessary and outdated by the advancing technology.

They office personnel did provide excellent and swift service, which I admit I wasn't expecting. They answered my initial e-mail within a day, asking for my contact number and called me the next day. They answered all my listed questions, and then e-mailed me a list of what I needed to bring with me when I came in for my ECC, along with a link to the form so I could download it and pre-fill most of it out before hand.

I apologized during my initial  slow signature and name printing above, explaining that a month after arrival I was hit with a pinched nerve that affected my right hand flexibility (60% recovery since w/o visiting a doctor, yet.... will when I get back to the USA where my medicare & secondary will cover the costs....I had hoped for a natural recovery). 

So BI agent, Shiela, was kind enough to aid in finishing the form fill out with me providing the answers and her doing the printing in.

Note that some of the information requested would be deemed unnecessarily intrusive and perhaps prohibited by the privacy laws of OECD countries, like the USA. But this is a sovereign country with its own laws and regs that have to be complied with if you want to live here.

She then told me and the asawa to go eat lunch and then come back, and she would process the application so we would not have to make a second trip back. Which she did, bless her soul.

All in all, it was a 2 hour L3 transport van ride each way (P 170@/1-way),  lunch cost at the near-by Chow King,   and the ECC permit cost was P500.  I was very happy to get this done quickly and efficiently, all things and location considered. 

I also brought along print-outs of our e-mail exchange the days before, and she used the one to tick off the requirements that were listed, so I had made it relatively easier for her to do the processing.  Which I recommend doing. 

I might also mention that in order to do the e-mail print-outs, the new SM mall had NO public cybercafe or even a photocopy service in their vast cyber section.  I had to seek out one of the tiny, dingy remaining cyber cafes near one of the hospitals and colleges.  I also had to go to a secondary market area where there was a pretty sophisticated photocopy service located in a tiny stall.  Only in the Philippines !

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

It'll be interesting how the fixers will work if now fingerprints etc are required.

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
On 5/19/2022 at 9:29 AM, Snowy79 said:

“The virus is still a threat, but this time we are now armed with the knowledge on how to protect ourselves from it.

2nd booster shots now being done in Makati. Did mine today. In and out within 25 minutes. Not entirely sure necessary any more but ..

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Freebie said:

2nd booster shots now being done in Makati. Did mine today. In and out within 25 minutes. Not entirely sure necessary any more but ..

I expect we will begin to see it incorporated into the annual flu shots in the coming years as covid goes from pandemic to endemic. 

Clermont
Posted
Posted
On 5/20/2022 at 1:29 PM, Snowy79 said:

It'll be interesting how the fixers will work if now fingerprints etc are required.

Easy, they'll just use one of there fingers, nothings too hard for a PI. :whistling:

• Haha 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 5/20/2022 at 7:47 AM, manofthecoldland said:

Which she did, bless her soul.

Did she die? 

:shades:

• Haha 1