6.5 days until departure

fototek1
Posted
Posted

We are heading back to the Philippines for the first time since Feb 2020! My wife has 1 bag packed at maximum weight and we just spent the day buying pasalubong which I estimate will take about 2 more full bags. The Asawa, has been almost non-stop on calls with her friends making plans for our 3 weeks there and taking requests for more pasalubong. After 10 years of marriage, and 10 trips back to the Philippines I am still amused by this part of the culture. She bought about 15 pairs of slippers (for no one in particular) because they were on sale. She bought 5 pairs of Jeans at Banana Republic (for no one in particular)because they were so inexpensive and name brand.  We went into Coach and thankfully the sale was not good :cheersty: although she had previously bought about 5 bags when the sale was good (I thinks that is what is part of the cargo in the first packed bag). I will finish by saying we spent 4 hours shopping, the bags were heavy and I am lucky she used her own money! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, fototek1 said:

I am still amused by this part of the culture.

I remember the bad ole days before there were malls and such. The wife used rolls of toilet paper to cushion all the pasalubong we brought back. The relatives were more excited over the TP than they were over all the food and cloths we brought lolol :hystery:

• Haha 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

We will visit first of July.

One box is full and that's only what I know about. :unsure:

We haven't got to Costco yet ether. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

No offence intended but Im so happy I dont have to deal with this.

Gift giving is fine and good but I have seen hundreds of OFWs in Middle East spending weeks worth of salaries on the pasalubong culture and hearing " oh they expect gifts " etc. Been in houses where an OFW guy returning bought a bottle whisky from Dubai ( same brand available in all Philippines stores ), gave to home owner as pasalobong and the home owner just looked, mumbled a thanks and put it away. Same with kids and chocolate.

Hard earned money is perhaps much better saved than in some cases wasted on things that perhaps arent always appreciated.. seems to be the giver sometimes gets more out of it than the receiver.

And yes there will be differing views to what Ive written.

• Like 4

Gator
Posted
Posted
On 5/21/2022 at 9:54 PM, scott h said:

I remember the bad ole days before there were malls and such. The wife used rolls of toilet paper to cushion all the pasalubong we brought back. The relatives were more excited over the TP than they were over all the food and cloths we brought lolol :hystery:

Just like little kids at  Christmas, who are often more amused with tearing off and playing with the wrapping paper then the gift itself 🤣 

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 5/22/2022 at 5:56 PM, Freebie said:

Gift giving is fine and good but I have seen hundreds of OFWs in Middle East spending weeks worth of salaries on the pasalubong culture and hearing " oh they expect gifts " etc. Been in houses where an OFW guy returning bought a bottle whisky from Dubai ( same brand available in all Philippines stores ), gave to home owner as pasalobong and the home owner just looked, mumbled a thanks and put it away. Same with kids and chocolate.

Hard earned money is perhaps much better saved than in some cases wasted on things that perhaps arent always appreciated.. seems to be the giver sometimes gets more out of it than the receiver.

No disagreement from me, experienced same. Remember bring back to ex a stack of brand new shoes to give to relies and friends.....All were branded but seconds, they were stuffed in a bag and still hanging on the peg months later. A small of chocolate not available here is now all that is given. 

• Like 1

fototek1
Posted
Posted
On 5/22/2022 at 5:56 AM, Freebie said:

No offence taken to any comments here. It's all amusing to me. BTW, 3 1/2 bags packed. I have a weight limit left for my things of 25 pounds. Looks like I will bring some underwear and a few shirts and then I will wear 1 pair of shorts every day for 3 weeks or maybe I bring 1 pair of underwear and a few pairs of shorts. Truthfully I just need a break from work and a good long look at retiring. I think I can do it but I am scared to make the leap.

• Like 3

fototek1
Posted
Posted

Departure Day has Arrived. Headed to the airport and we get a message from Japan airlines that a Volcano exploded and our flight is delayed 24 hours. https://watchers.news/2022/05/28/high-level-eruption-at-bezymianny-volcano-ash-to-15-km-50-000-feet-a-s-l-russia/ 

We payed $500 for 2 Covid tests which are no good due to our good planning (we did them Thursday evening)and bad luck. Now we need to go do Covid tests again even though we will now arrive May 30 when the Negative Covid plan is lifted because we are departing before the change goes into effect. This is an expensive trip! Hope we can leave tomorrow as planned.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, fototek1 said:

This is an expensive trip!

I can empathize.  Our one month vacation to the Philippines cost us an astounding amount, but things are more expensive all over.  Even a 12 year old babysitter, on Vancouver Island, is charging $10 an hour and friends say we are getting a good deal as many older sitters charge $15 and up.

So this is the new normal.  Everything is expensive!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
On 5/23/2022 at 5:37 PM, fototek1 said:

Truthfully I just need a break from work and a good long look at retiring. I think I can do it but I am scared to make the leap.

I'll go off topic like usual... I was offered a golden handshake unexpectedly June 2000 a couple years before I planned to retire. SO GLAD I RETIRED! I was petrified retiring but soon realized we were living better but easily under the budget we set.

Go ahead step off that ledge. :2245_safe: You will be glad you did. 

• Like 2
  • Love it 1