Senate okays bill on permanent validity of birth, death certificates

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

It takes a law to say a birth certificate will not have an expiration date.   I do not know if I should laugh or cry - actually I am laughing but I know I shouldn't.  :hystery:

Students and workers will no longer be forced to secure new birth certificates each time they apply for school or employment under a bill providing lifetime validity to birth, death or marriage papers issued by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA), or its predecessor, the National Statistics Office (NSO).

The Senate on Monday unanimously approved on third and final reading Senate Bill No. 2450, or the proposed Permanent Validity of the Certificates of Live Birth, Death, and Marriage Act, a year after the House of Representatives passed its version in June 2021.

“With this piece of legislation, we have clearly and categorically provided the permanent validity of the civil registry documents regardless of the date of issuance. As such, they will be recognized and accepted in all government or private transactions,” the sponsor and author, Sen. Ramon Revilla Jr., said in a manifestation after the 23-0 vote.

Inconvenience
“Through this, our people do not have to unnecessarily spend time and money in securing new copies of their documents,” he said.

Revilla noted that while the PSA’s birth certificates have no expiration, government agencies and private organizations would still require these documents using the latest security paper, costing the applicant P155 for an authenticated copy, or P365 when delivered at their address.

“There are instances that applicants are required to submit birth certificates issued within the past six months. For them to get these documents, Filipinos need to spend time and money. This is especially unfair to those who are first-time job seekers,” Revilla said.

Senate President Pro Tempore Ralph Recto said the passage of the bill would spare many Filipinos the inconvenience of repeatedly applying for such certificates.

“The gist of this bill is this: A Filipino can celebrate his birthday as much as he wants, but certificates are forever … If land titles do not have best-before markings, why should civil service documents have one?” he said.

“The certificates of live birth, death and marriage issued, signed, certified or authenticated by the PSA and its predecessor, the NSO, and the local civil registries shall have permanent validity regardless of the date of issuance and shall be recognized and accepted in all government or private transactions or services requiring submission thereof, as proof of identity and legal status of a person,” it reads in part.

Jail term for violators
Once the bill is enacted into law, any violation will come with a punishment of one to six months imprisonment or a fine of not less than P5,000 but not more than P10,000, or both at the discretion of the court.

“If the violation is committed by a public official or employee, an accessory penalty of temporary disqualification to hold public office shall likewise be imposed,” the bill states

• Like 2
  • Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Huh, I didn't even know this was thing.  I wrongly assumed (yeah I know)....

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

Huh, I didn't even know this was thing.  I wrongly assumed (yeah I know)....

According to my neighbors, it became a thing in government agencies, schools and employers because they thought these documents could be easily forged, so you had to show the receipt.  How they ended up with the commonly used 6 months, I don't know, but it appears that was something that everybody heard about and started using.  Only in the Philippines.

• Like 3

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Bureaucracy gone mad in a country that loves its paperwork, loves its rules and certainly loves inconveniencing its citizenry. See how many pieces of paper a job applicant requires .... an endless paper chase.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted

To add to the fun, the issuing agent for such certificates has changed from something or other to the PSA.  So, there is the possibility that some organisations will only accept the "new documents." 

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, hk blues said:

To add to the fun, the issuing agent for such certificates has changed from something or other to the PSA.  So, there is the possibility that some organisations will only accept the "new documents." 

Thankfully anything we've needed in the last couple of years has been issued by PSA, we even kept the receipts.  

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 5/25/2022 at 3:37 PM, BrettGC said:

Thankfully anything we've needed in the last couple of years has been issued by PSA, we even kept the receipts.  

Yep, it changed sometime not so long ago from NSO to PSA.