Heads Up: My experience with Metro, BDO, and BPI Checking Account Set UP

Clermont
Posted
Posted
On 5/25/2022 at 6:06 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Easy to use Worldremit to transfer money, https://www.worldremit.com/en .

One question: worldremitt wont let me transfer money out of an Australian bank account into a PI account as normal, for a transfer while I'm over there, security reasons. I've contacted the bank, and worldremitt and each says it's the other's doing, how did you get around it?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I use a VPN, set the VPN to Melbourne and don't tell the bank where I am, then the bank sees my IP address as being in Australia.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

KenM
Posted
Posted
On 5/26/2022 at 12:27 PM, OnMyWay said:

You can do that with a saving account.

Good to know. The banks actually told me all I could do is use a debit card to make withdrawals. 

KenM
Posted
Posted

Is there any downside to using western union to transfer large funds into a peso account? The fees are modest. Exchange rate looks correct. 

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Here in Australia I'm having a hell of a time trying to get a large amount out of the bank to send to a transfer mob, been banking with them for 20 odd years, now rules about money laundering come into play. Yeah I can still do it, but in smaller amounts day by day, wan=ers all there doing is holding up our transfer to the PI's. :1927_: They can kiss this when I finish my transfers.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 5/27/2022 at 8:31 AM, Clermont said:

One question: worldremitt wont let me transfer money out of an Australian bank account into a PI account as normal, for a transfer while I'm over there, security reasons. I've contacted the bank, and worldremitt and each says it's the other's doing, how did you get around it?

I dont, it just works for me but if you have a problem perhaps use a VPN while here. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 5/27/2022 at 10:28 AM, GeoffH said:

I use a VPN, set the VPN to Melbourne and don't tell the bank where I am, then the bank sees my IP address as being in Australia.

I use Bank of Queensland and can login here in Cebu without a VPN. I used to have westpac and Suncorp and never needed a VPN then either.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, KenM said:

Good to know. The banks actually told me all I could do is use a debit card to make withdrawals. 

Once you have your BPI account you register for online banking where you can pay bills, transfer to other accounts etc. Theres a register link here, https://online.bpi.com.ph/portalserver/onlinebanking/sign-in

• 4 weeks later...
KenM
Posted
Posted

Update on BPI. I transferred in money to make some purchases I need to make of some equipment. Will be a few thousand U.S. It is impossible to use BPI to make online purchases of any expenses. They limit online purchases to 20K pesos per day. They suggested that I use Lazada wallet but the system is not allowing me to transfer any money up to their stated daily limit of 50K. The app says you can change these amounts but in practice no. They have my money. I can't spend it. Unless I can make the purchases locally which is not possible. They want to keep your money to invest and they dont' want you taking it out. How does anyone manage to buy anything online here? I have U.S. based cards but that is a whole other problem that isn't the fault of BPI but of online merchants here not sending the right verification information. 

KenM
Posted
Posted

Meanwhile Chase keeps flagging purchases no matter how often I tell them I am in the country. Anyone know U.S. banks that won't do that and don't have foreign transaction fees?