Starlink's registration gets NTC approval

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, hk blues said:

Yep. Before I got a new phone I had to send the wife to the bottom of the road with my phone and then meet her halfway back to the house to get the code before it expired.  What frustrates me most is it was for BPI who well know the issues here yet they still give a pretty limited window to enter the code. Luckily, my wife didn't need to climb any trees to get a good signal!

I feel your pain, I also have to hurry and try to get the code and do a brisk walk back not easy with 2 stuffed knees.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 5/29/2022 at 5:24 PM, BrettGC said:

A few years ago didn't D30 put the telco's on notice with regards to service provision, threatening fines etc?  Never mind, just remembered where I am... :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Yes he did but ! Also was so much red tape that telcos gave up. Do you remember Australia's Telstra was trying to set up here but the red tape and crap caused them to drop the idea and allow China to deal with it. But to be fair in the cities there's a huge improvement for internet. 

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes he did but ! Also was so much red tape that telcos gave up. Do you remember Australia's Telstra was trying to set up here but the red tape and crap caused them to drop the idea and allow China to deal with it. But to be fair in the cities there's a huge improvement for internet. 

Yeah, I remember the Telstra thing, was wondering what happened with it.  And yep, you're right, the internet has has improved a great deal.  

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

11 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Yeah, I remember the Telstra thing, was wondering what happened with it.  And yep, you're right, the internet has has improved a great deal.  

To be fair, since the introduction of the 3rd player there has been an immeasurable improvement to internet, at least in my area.  7 years ago, we were getting 3mbps, 3 years ago 20mbps and today 250 mbps. Now, that may or may not be down to the breaking up of the Globe/PLDT duopoly but the end result is I'm a happy chappy so who cares!

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

To be fair, since the introduction of the 3rd player there has been an immeasurable improvement to internet, at least in my area.  7 years ago, we were getting 3mbps, 3 years ago 20mbps and today 250 mbps. Now, that may or may not be down to the breaking up of the Globe/PLDT duopoly but the end result is I'm a happy chappy so who cares!

I think its more to do with the rollout of fiber optic throughout the country which has improved the internet for wired services and many more cell towers for WIFI but competition is always good for the consumer in the end. 

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I think its more to do with the rollout of fiber optic throughout the country which has improved the internet for wired services and many more cell towers for WIFI but competition is always good for the consumer in the end. 

It is 100% to do with the fiber rollout but I wonder if the rollout would have progressed so quickly if the Globe/PLDT duopoly hadn't been broken?  Anyhow, as we say the end result benefits the consumer so who cares why!

• Like 2

fototek1
Posted
Posted

@Old55Did you sign up for Starlink? We were considering it for our place in Bulacan but I determined the upfront fees were too high at the present time. If I see more people signing up and raving about the speeds and service then maybe we will sign up. For now we will stick with a cell phone data plan and tether. Fortunately that works fine for us. I was on a 1 hour Zoom call (for work) with 22 people this morning and it worked great. 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, fototek1 said:

@Old55Did you sign up for Starlink? We were considering it for our place in Bulacan but I determined the upfront fees were too high at the present time. If I see more people signing up and raving about the speeds and service then maybe we will sign up. For now we will stick with a cell phone data plan and tether. Fortunately that works fine for us. I was on a 1 hour Zoom call (for work) with 22 people this morning and it worked great. 

No. We were offered to be a beta tester at a reduced rate but it still cost somewhat more than our fiber optic.

When we move it will be a more rural area so that may be an option.

Edited by Old55