Opening bank account as tourist

Happyexpat
Posted
Posted

Hello for all. I’m a new member. Currently I’m living in Thailand and decided to move Philippines for long stay tourist or maybe permanent residency. I dont know how many months i will stay , but i know that i will need a bank account to transfer money from my home country to Philippines for my living expenses. Western union or atm withdraws with my home country’s bank cards will be too expensive.  How can i open bank account in makati ? I will land Manila and i want to set up bank account there. In Thailand i mostly used agencies to do such things. How it works in Philippines ? For sure if i go bank alone bank will asks many documents that impossible to handle alone. I need advice about setting bank acccount as tourist. What i need  for this ? Or which agency you would recommend. ? Thank you for all. 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

People have different experiences with banks when trying to open an account as most wont do for a tourist. They would not allow me but a friend was allowed at another bank. 

example below is BPI bank. ARC but they wont accept tourist ARC only those with permanent residency such as 13a holders.

For foreign nationals:

PhilID for resident aliens
Passport
Alien Certificate of Registration issued by the Bureau of Immigration
Other identification documents that can be verified using reliable, independent source documents, data or information

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Hi Happyexpat. Welcome to the forum. 

I found an answer to your question in the topic header BANKING IN THE PHILIPPINES immediately below your question. Before anting a question please do a quick search many answers are there for you to read. If you want an update or more specific questions please ask.

https://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/33546-heads-up-my-experience-with-metro-bdo-and-bpi-checking-account-set-up/#comment-310654

Happyexpat
Posted
Posted

Thank you. In Thailand i had similar experiences but i quickly solved all these difficulties with a local fixer such as a visa agency. They fix everything in Thailand. In Manila , agencies doesn’t provide such services. ? Sorry for questions, i am Philippines newbie. Thank you. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Happyexpat said:

Thank you. In Thailand i had similar experiences but i quickly solved all these difficulties with a local fixer such as a visa agency. They fix everything in Thailand. In Manila , agencies doesn’t provide such services. ? Sorry for questions, i am Philippines newbie. Thank you. 

I have not heard of agencies opening bank accounts for you. You can get help renewing a visa but bank accounts I have not heard of.

• Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

If you can open an account at a local bank it will be your cheapest option.  I found many bank managers in the Philippines to be quite willing to help, but they all asked to see an ACR card.  Your mileage may vary.

But there are a number of expats who avoid all that by using the expensive HSBC option.  Here is the link

https://www.expat.hsbc.com/accounts/non-resident-bank-accounts/

• Thanks 1

Happyexpat
Posted
Posted

Thank you. After i get ACR , can i open bank accounts ? How can i validate my address ? In Thailand immigration just gives certificate of residency very easy. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, Happyexpat said:

How can i validate my address ?

You can go to the local Barangay office and get a certificate of residency or you can get a local driver's license and it will have the address you declare on it.  The problem will come if you are staying in a hotel.  That may raise some red flags.

• Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Happyexpat said:

Thank you. After i get ACR , can i open bank accounts ? How can i validate my address ? In Thailand immigration just gives certificate of residency very easy. 

There is a difference as I mentioned before, most banks will not accept a tourist ARC and only a ARC permanent resident. Unless you get married you wont have an ARC permanent so all you have is tourist, the type that if you leave the country you can not re use if you come back. Not like a resident ARC. So what most banks want is permanent resident ARC.

I went to the PS bank and asked to open account , sure and as soon as they seen I was a tourist it was the end of that. I said I know someone who opened an account at a PS bank and they said they will not.

Another friend went to the RCBC on a tourist visa and they opened an account no problem.

Added bit

Even if you attempt to open an account remember you don't get your ARC until the second or third extension ( I forget ) but unless things have changed it used to take 3 months after that to get your card but maybe that's changed. Its been a few years since they put stamps in your passport so who knows.

Anyway you have a Thai account so you can still withdraw from ATMs with a local fee of 200 peso each time plus any fees your bank charges. If all fails and you trust a Filipina you can get her to open an account in her name and keep the card but never put much in there as they can go to the bank and get it since its her account. 

• Like 1

Happyexpat
Posted
Posted

Thank you for answers. I am newbie here so i will keep posting such questions.