Opening bank account as tourist

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Happyexpat said:

Thank you for answers. I am newbie here so i will keep posting such questions. 

Once you arrive and start your adventure keep us updated. It will be fun to learn your thoughts and experiences both good and bad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happyexpat
Posted
Posted

Great answers. Thank you for both . I will share here many things. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 6/1/2022 at 1:28 AM, Happyexpat said:

Thank you for answers. I am newbie here so i will keep posting such questions. 

Sure, no problem. What we dont know we just make up :smile: What you will find often conflicting answers because we live in different areas and have different experiences from one to another. 

• Like 1

Sailor Jerry
Posted
Posted
On 5/30/2022 at 2:59 AM, Happyexpat said:

Thank you. After i get ACR , can i open bank accounts ? How can i validate my address ? In Thailand immigration just gives certificate of residency very easy. 

Hi @Happyexpat I hope all goes smoothly for you friend and also a Big Hi to All as this is my first real post! 

When I arrived in Angeles City 4 yrs ago I needed to do the same, I found 3 or 4 “fixers” but quickly settled on one whom I still use today, she is awesome & cost to me is very little. I have asked her to help many good ppl I’ve met here too. First she helped me with my licence, I didn’t need ACR just the drivers Licence from my country & then go to LTO. Was a day of pain but it was done at the end of day. I’ve since got my AC-R Card & been renewing it annually but really never need it, just told I have to have it? Getting my licence here was a game changer for me as very rarely did I need to take my passport anywhere.

Since then she has been happy to come with me to register, emission testing & even insure many vehicles. With my Bank, a friend took me to his bank, Metrobank & introduced me & my account was opened, I’m not sure but as of last year it was still possible to do this as I took a friend there & did the same. I find this bank great & have 2 accounts now. One thing to know is it’s always much easier to stay at your branch in this country.

wherever you decide to settle, I recommend as I think someone else here has, to go to your local Barangay office & get your residency sorted out.  Also in my case, I went to City Hall , LTO & emissions centre just to know where they are. Of course you can see where they are online but me, I prefer to actually see the joint...

I decided to buy a nice condo here as AC is a perfect base for me as I’m semi retired & travel a lot and fly out of Clark which the new terminal is finally starting to be used again since the pandemic.

Lastly, best of luck to you & I’m sure after a little bit of “adjusting” you will be happy here. Cheers

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Sailor Jerry said:

Hi @Happyexpat I hope all goes smoothly for you friend and also a Big Hi to All as this is my first real post! 

When I arrived in Angeles City 4 yrs ago I needed to do the same, I found 3 or 4 “fixers” but quickly settled on one whom I still use today, she is awesome & cost to me is very little. I have asked her to help many good ppl I’ve met here too. First she helped me with my licence, I didn’t need ACR just the drivers Licence from my country & then go to LTO. Was a day of pain but it was done at the end of day. I’ve since got my AC-R Card & been renewing it annually but really never need it, just told I have to have it? Getting my licence here was a game changer for me as very rarely did I need to take my passport anywhere.

Since then she has been happy to come with me to register, emission testing & even insure many vehicles. With my Bank, a friend took me to his bank, Metrobank & introduced me & my account was opened, I’m not sure but as of last year it was still possible to do this as I took a friend there & did the same. I find this bank great & have 2 accounts now. One thing to know is it’s always much easier to stay at your branch in this country.

wherever you decide to settle, I recommend as I think someone else here has, to go to your local Barangay office & get your residency sorted out.  Also in my case, I went to City Hall , LTO & emissions centre just to know where they are. Of course you can see where they are online but me, I prefer to actually see the joint...

I decided to buy a nice condo here as AC is a perfect base for me as I’m semi retired & travel a lot and fly out of Clark which the new terminal is finally starting to be used again since the pandemic.

Lastly, best of luck to you & I’m sure after a little bit of “adjusting” you will be happy here. 

I've highlighted this bit - I've been here 7 years and never visited, or needed to visit, the Barangay office.  I wonder what residency you are talking about?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I've been here 7 years and never visited, or needed to visit, the Barangay office. 

You may have needed to, but you didn't know you did and no one came to tell you.  There was a time when the Barangay captains were tasked with keeping an eye on all foreigners in the Philippines and they had a form to fill out on you.  It was a plan that went nowhere but still a requirement.  Also, it may have been a local requirement so maybe did not apply to you.  I was "registered" back in about 2014.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

You may have needed to, but you didn't know you did and no one came to tell you.  There was a time when the Barangay captains were tasked with keeping an eye on all foreigners in the Philippines and they had a form to fill out on you.  It was a plan that went nowhere but still a requirement.  Also, it may have been a local requirement so maybe did not apply to you.  I was "registered" back in about 2014.

Likely a local requirement as my wife was able to get a Barangay letter confirming my residence for BI when I changed address and no mention was made of me having to be registered. 

ThaiWolf
Posted
Posted (edited)

This is interesting news to me.
My lady keeps harping on about going to the local Barangay and getting a letter about residency. Maybe I'll go and see what's it all about during the week. 

I'm planning on a visit to the B.I. to extend my initial permission of stay at the end of the week as well ... Oh what fun! :rolleyes:

Edited by ThaiWolf
Senior moment again!
  • Like 2

Patryk
Posted
Posted

I hope you don't mind me to ask additional question in this topic, not sure if this will be helpful to OP. 

How do you find using PH bank or mentioned above HSBC especially to recieve payments from overseas? Do you trust them as main account, do they work efficient, with accounts in main forgein currencies like dollars/euro/pounds? Does it hapen that bank freeze your asssets time to time with no explanation?

Thanks