Some Advice For Foreigners In The Philippines

baronapart
Posted
Posted
On 6/8/2022 at 6:01 PM, Mike J said:

My friends and family call that last piece of the food on the platter "the etiquette".   As Filipina Pea says it often goes home with someone.

When I am with her family they almost always wait until I take the first bite of any meal to start eating. Also, they usually ask me if I want the last piece of whatever we are eating. It seems to make them happy...

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted
On 6/8/2022 at 6:39 PM, hk blues said:

Long story short - of all of the customers I was the only one who complained in either place despite being outnumbered 25-1 local/foreigner.

In full agreement with you HK Blues. Other day was in SM Supermarket standing in a line that wasnt moving. 15 people ahead of me. Could see  cashiers were having problems, and it seems the IT system for cashiers was temporarily down. Meanwhile over at the service counter two "manager types " with " how can I assist you " sashes were happily discussing the latest hair conditioning products or something like that. No one was moving , so I walked briskly over there and asked if they knew that no cashiers were were able to complete transactions and could they assist and assist quickly.   Three minutes some plugs had been changed or whatever and cashiers were functioning again.

Two ladies in front looked at me and said thanks , and I suggested that if "everyone complained things might go better... if no one does anything nothing will happen".. to which they agreed. I guess next time it will only  be complaining again.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, Freebie said:

In full agreement with you HK Blues. Other day was in SM Supermarket standing in a line that wasnt moving. 15 people ahead of me. Could see  cashiers were having problems, and it seems the IT system for cashiers was temporarily down. Meanwhile over at the service counter two "manager types " with " how can I assist you " sashes were happily discussing the latest hair conditioning products or something like that. No one was moving , so I walked briskly over there and asked if they knew that no cashiers were were able to complete transactions and could they assist and assist quickly.   Three minutes some plugs had been changed or whatever and cashiers were functioning again.

Two ladies in front looked at me and said thanks , and I suggested that if "everyone complained things might go better... if no one does anything nothing will happen".. to which they agreed. I guess next time it will only  be complaining again.

I hear you.

Unfortunately, the deeply ingrained respect for authority here has resulted in a culture where people NEVER question anything and accept whatever comes their way.  

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

My experiences of complaining have been slightly different, twice I've had to calm a Filipino down and explain that shouting at someone who is being paid 350 peso to do as he is told won't help the matter.  If they have an issue ask to speak to a supervisor calmly and explain what your problem is.  If they have no luck give the supervisor the grief. 

As for the food thing again I find I queue up to get the food just for a local to push in and grab it.  Once on an island hoping trip there was about 14 of us and there was a nice spread.  They brought out 3 huge fish and put them on the table, I was patiently waiting to get some when the guy in front of me picked a whole fish up and put it on his plate. 

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

As for the food thing again I find I queue up to get the food just for a local to push in and grab it.

Was in a very small doctors office in Moaboal somewhere near the Town Hall.  I was the only patient there until a local guy his wife with crying baby walked in. By now the small waiting room was full.

The doctor said " next" from behind their covid plastic curtain, the guy deliberately picked up the side of his shirt so that I could see he had a gun. He walked into the doctors office with his crying kid.

I very wisely left thereafter  as the action of this ignorant fellow somewhat equally appalled and enraged me at same time. Teachers cant educate ignorance.

• Sad 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, Freebie said:

Was in a very small doctors office in Moaboal somewhere near the Town Hall.  I was the only patient there until a local guy his wife with crying baby walked in. By now the small waiting room was full.

The doctor said " next" from behind their covid plastic curtain, the guy deliberately picked up the side of his shirt so that I could see he had a gun. He walked into the doctors office with his crying kid.

I very wisely left thereafter  as the action of this ignorant fellow somewhat equally appalled and enraged me at same time. Teachers cant educate ignorance.

Other than basic respect and treating people how I like to to treated, after an incident I saw in Subic years ago, I treat everyone as if they may have a gun.  That's not to say I live in fear, but I think you know what I mean.  

• Like 5

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 6/11/2022 at 5:17 AM, BrettGC said:

Other than basic respect and treating people how I like to to treated, after an incident I saw in Subic years ago, I treat everyone as if they may have a gun.  That's not to say I live in fear, but I think you know what I mean.  

Reminds me of a quote from the author Robert Heinlein. "An armed society is a polite society."

• Like 1

sanagimo
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, earthdome said:

Reminds me of a quote from the author Robert Heinlein. "An armed society is a polite society."

Lived in Texas where everyone carried a gun and people were polite.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, sanagimo said:

Lived in Texas where everyone carried a gun and people were polite.

All the impolite ones probably died in the 4k plus gun deaths there per year. :whistling:

Back on subject, life has certainly less value here and the threat of prison doesn't appear to work.  Where I'm from disrespect etc will normally be met with " he's asking to get his head kicked in" or a good beating as they say, you'd never hear someone say it could get you killed.

• Sad 1