Some Advice For Foreigners In The Philippines

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, earthdome said:

Reminds me of a quote from the author Robert Heinlein. "An armed society is a polite society."

".....Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

Yes I'm a fan.  

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, earthdome said:

Reminds me of a quote from the author Robert Heinlein. "An armed society is a polite society."

1 hour ago, sanagimo said:

Lived in Texas where everyone carried a gun and people were polite.

I'm not surprised - I for one wouldn't talk S*** to a guy with a gun.  

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, BrettGC said:

".....Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

Yes I'm a fan.  

Another twist on that. A friend of mine conceal carry's a handgun. He once told me that carrying a firearm makes him even more aware of the situation around him and more polite because he doesn't want to be put in a situation where he may have to make a decision to use his weapon in self defense. So it can go both ways.

• Like 2

sanagimo
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'm not surprised - I for one wouldn't talk S*** to a guy with a gun.  

Neither did I!!! they say God made all men equal . Well He didn`t Smith and Weston did !!1

sanagimo
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, earthdome said:

Another twist on that. A friend of mine conceal carry's a handgun. He once told me that carrying a firearm makes him even more aware of the situation around him and more polite because he doesn't want to be put in a situation where he may have to make a decision to use his weapon in self defense. So it can go both ways.

In Texas they say we are Christians but we are not push overs!!!

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, earthdome said:

I had a very close call with a handgun which still sends shivers down my spine thinking of it. 

During the troubles in Northern Ireland I was travelling undercover and packing a 9mm Browning. Before I went out on tasks I'd get a full security briefing, shown routes to take etc and a full lowdown from the Royal Ulster Constabulary on my powers to respond to a terrorist incident, basically fight your way out to the nearest safe house.

A few weeks earlier two operatives had driven towards an IRA funeral procession but stopped short with no escape route, they were dragged out the car, beaten, stripped naked and killed in the worst way possible. 

My route was shown clear with no road blocks etc. I set off and a few miles down a country lane there was a road block with a couple of guys with illuminous vests and mill boards with no escape route, I had one in the chamber and held the gun at the side of the door pointing towards one of the guys as he approached me, part of me was saying empty the magazine into them and get the hell out of there. Fortunately the guy stopped a good 5ft away from me and waved me on as my finger was squeezing the trigger. It still haunts me today and you can safely say the int team got a mouthfull when I got back to base. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

A few weeks earlier two operatives had driven towards an IRA funeral procession but stopped short with no escape route, they were dragged out the car, beaten, stripped naked and killed in the worst way possible. 

I remember that incident, both had a browning hand gun. Made my blood boil when I saw it on TV. I would have opened fire and my comrades said the same.

• Like 2

Colsie
Posted
Posted
On 6/16/2022 at 1:46 AM, Greglm said:

I will never live in any country that makes me feel as if I need to have a gun to be safe. There are too many countries to choose from to live.

Having lived in and visited the Philippines for over 30 years I feel pretty safe. I feel safer here than in the USA.

Thankfully not many mass murders here at schools, grocery stores, concerts, churches etc as in the USA.   Here it is honor, political or just drunks being drunk settled with bolos, victims get stitches and get on with life.:smile:

There's been plenty of murders here in this small fishing village in the last few years...

Then there's the muslim extremist in the southern Philippines and NPA in Eastern Visayas.. 

I had a scary incident a few years ago here, while cycling along the road in the middle of nowhere... I saw a small kid by the side of the road on my side of the road. As I got closer I could see he was small, maybe 9yrs old, then I realised he was holding a bloody big gun in his outstretched arm and pointing right at me...luckily he couldn't hold the gun out and away from him because of its weight and he had to lower it... I got past him, stopped some locals further down the road, but they weren't interested, so I went and reported it to the police in town, they did nothing... 

• Sad 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Colsie said:

There's been plenty of murders here in this small fishing village in the last few years...

Then there's the muslim extremist in the southern Philippines and NPA in Eastern Visayas.. 

I had a scary incident a few years ago here, while cycling along the road in the middle of nowhere... I saw a small kid by the side of the road on my side of the road. As I got closer I could see he was small, maybe 9yrs old, then I realised he was holding a bloody big gun in his outstretched arm and pointing right at me...luckily he couldn't hold the gun out and away from him because of its weight and he had to lower it... I got past him, stopped some locals further down the road, but they weren't interested, so I went and reported it to the police in town, they did nothing... 

Nobody wants to experience that when taking a ride on the bike, but are you sure it was a real gun? Replicas are very common today and it's impossible to see if they are real or fake. I just find it kind of strange, even for the Philippines, that a kid in that age is out with a real gun.

In a situation like this we should of course always act like if it was real.

• Like 1