DOJ fires 18 Immigration personnel over 'pastillas' scheme

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)

It sure took awhile but at least they finally fired some (18 of 43 named), of the personnel involved.  And they named names. :thumbsup:

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2022/06/10/2187475/doj-fires-18-immigration-personnel-over-pastillas-scheme

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Justice dismissed 18 Bureau of Immigration officers and employees over their involvement in the so-called “pastillas” bribery scheme where foreigners were allegedly whisked past airport counters in exchange for money.

The DOJ announced Friday that it found the following immigration officers and employees administratively liable for grave misconduct, gross neglect of duty and conduct prejudicial to the best interest of the service:

RELATED STORIES
83 BI personnel suspended over pastillas scheme
Immigration officers quietly return from suspension as 'pastillas' probes continue
Ombudsman indicts 43 immigration personnel over 'pastillas' bribery
Francis Dennis Robles
Glen Ford Comia
Rodolfo Magbuhos, Jr.
Deon Carlo Albao
Danieve Binsol
Paul Erik Borja
Abdul Fahad Calaca
Anthony Lopez
Gabriel Ernest Estacio
Chevy Chase Naniong
Danilo Deudor
Ralph Ryan Garcia
Phol Villanueva
Fidel Mendoza
Benlando Guevarra
Bradford Allen So
Cecille Jonathan Orozco
Erwin Ortañez
“They facilitated or allowed the facilitation of the arrival and/or departure of Chinese nationals, without undergoing appropriate immigration formalities, for a consideration,” the DOJ said in a statement.

The firing of the Immigration officers and employees came after the Office of the Ombudsman filed graft charges against 43 Immigration personnel also over their alleged involvement in the pastillas scheme which the Senate investigated on suspicions that it had been used for sex trafficking and for letting Philippine Offshore Gambling Operations workers into the country.

President Rodrigo Duterte summoned the immigration officials to Malacañang for a dressing down and incorrectly claimed at his last State of the Nation Address in July 2021 that they had already been fired.

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Mike J said:

President Rodrigo Duterte summoned the immigration officials to Malacañang for a dressing down and incorrectly claimed at his last State of the Nation Address in July 2021 that they had already been fired.

BI officials never get fired, in my experience.  They get suspended, they get transferred, they even get a dressing down.  But as to being fired I have never seen it.  My money is on these guys getting their jobs back within 6 months of Duterte leaving office.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

BI officials never get fired, in my experience.  They get suspended, they get transferred, they even get a dressing down.  But as to being fired I have never seen it.  My money is on these guys getting their jobs back within 6 months of Duterte leaving office.

But they have been fired, 18 of them.  

• Haha 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 6/11/2022 at 12:06 PM, hk blues said:

But they have been fired, 18 of them.  

Actually about 45 have been removed now. Some who were meant to be fired were found to still be employed but from news the other day, this is no longer the case.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Some who were meant to be fired were found to still be employed but from news the other day, this is no longer the case.

And you believe?  I remember when the news reported that Reymund was fired.  He is the big guy in Cebu.  Next thing I knew he was working in Dumaguete BI for a few months.  Then when the smoke cleared he was back in Cebu.  I know of others, just not their names so useless to say them.  When I researched it at that time, I found it takes 10 years to go through the legal firing process and in that time they get paid.  Thus the officials often go corrupt 10 years before retirement, knowing that the case will be dropped once they are retired.  But then, what do I know, (Paul told me . . both Pauls may they RIP)

• Sad 2