Barangay Certificate of Residency

ThaiWolf
Posted
Posted

I've just obtained my Barangay Certificate of Residency and my girl decided she would also get a certificate after living here for over 5 years!

A 5 min trike ride to the barangay multi-purpose hall/building. With all documents in hand (my passport), my girl had her land deeds, proof of ownership and passport etc.
We were given a slip of paper each to write address and age. That's it, no proof of address, passport not looked at, none of her documents, zilch!
10 minutes later we were given our official certificates (with valid dry seal) and bid farewell. 50 pesos per cert. 

I do hope all my interactions with bureaucracy are as simple and as pleasant! 

Question:
Of what use is this certificate to me? ........ :89:  

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, ThaiWolf said:

I've just obtained my Barangay Certificate of Residency and my girl decided she would also get a certificate after living here for over 5 years!

A 5 min trike ride to the barangay multi-purpose hall/building. With all documents in hand (my passport), my girl had her land deeds, proof of ownership and passport etc.
We were given a slip of paper each to write address and age. That's it, no proof of address, passport not looked at, none of her documents, zilch!
10 minutes later we were given our official certificates (with valid dry seal) and bid farewell. 50 pesos per cert. 

I do hope all my interactions with bureaucracy are as simple and as pleasant! 

Question:

As I said in a  previous post, I've been here 7 years and interacted with most governments in that time and have never been asked for such a certificate so my answer to your question would be None at all!  Even during peak pandemic when travel was severely restricted to within local areas we were never asked for such a thing.

That said, it was only 50 pesos and a few minutes of your time so no harm done.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, ThaiWolf said:

Of what use is this certificate to me?

The only time I was asked for it, that I can recall, was when filling out forms to get married and forms to get a visa for the wife to leave the country.  It may be accepted for a driver's license.  I did not try it.  It may also be helpful getting a bank account, if you go direct to the manager, as it proves intent to reside in the country.

As HK said, 50 pesos and a few minutes of your time so no harm done.

EDIT:  AND on that crazy occasion when I thought I might apply for a call center job I needed it.  I decided work was for the non-retired folk and quickly disposed o that idea.  (Plus they would not have me due to the mandatory retirement age of 60 at that firm :hystery: )

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, ThaiWolf said:

16 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The only time I was asked for it, that I can recall, was when filling out forms to get married and forms to get a visa for the wife to leave the country.  It may be accepted for a driver's license.  I did not try it.  It may also be helpful getting a bank account, if you go direct to the manager, as it proves intent to reside in the country.

As HK said, 50 pesos and a few minutes of your time so no harm done.

EDIT:  AND on that crazy occasion when I thought I might apply for a call center job I needed it.  I decided work was for the non-retired folk and quickly disposed o that idea.  (Plus they would not have me due to the mandatory retirement age of 60 at that firm :hystery: )

Same as Dave, I needed it to prove my wife's residence in Dumaguete, but for other reasons, (Piapi at the time) otherwise they wouldn't perform a civil marriage in the local courthouse.  Barring that, we would've had to go back to her hometown to get married.  The catholic church allows out of municipality marriages (I'm a divorce so not going to happen) but civil marriages, at least in Dumaguete, have to be performed locally where the applicant (my wife) resides. 

No formal fee was charged for the certificate, no forms to fill out, didn't even have to show proof of residency, but it was expected that we give a "donation" to the barangay - PHP200 from memory.  The barangay captain at the time was actually a really good guy, we still catch up for a coffee every now and then. 

• Like 5

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

If you are on a 13A visa, you need it it to change your address on your ACR Card.

• Like 4

Gator
Posted
Posted

Same with me, only needed it when submitting proof of marriage to get the PSA stamp. But it’s one of those little known documents that are easy to get and nice to have as you never know when it might be required. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Eight and half years for me.  Don't have one and have never been asked for one.  I do have a Philippine driver license which has my address.

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I use mine as general ID for going on and off the island.  Saves me paying tourist fees and complying with some covid restrictions. 

• Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Mike J said:

Eight and half years for me.  Don't have one and have never been asked for one.  I do have a Philippine driver license which has my address.

The only time I needed something similar was when I needed to change my address for ACR with BI - I got a "document" from the Barangay but it was a simply A4 sheet and not what I'd call a certificate and no photo or lamination etc.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, hk blues said:

I got a "document" from the Barangay but it was a simply A4 sheet

Then you have been there and done that.