HSBC rule changes

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

As I delve into this further it is becoming very clear to me that this verification thing is here to stay.

So for me to respond to the banks and money transfer companies, I am going to have another phone loaded with an international roaming sim to reply  with  the codes they send me, of course capable  of sending text messages.

I am hungover today and am not on top of my game, so if I am not thinking this out properly feel free to correct me, no problems.

fototek1
Posted
Posted

We got here on 5/30/22 and spent a total of 4 full days at the bank and 2 half days. After 13 years of months long trips, I am still baffled by the banking system. The easiest transaction was transferring a repaid loan (I know you are all shocked) to our US bank account. The one outstanding issue is getting my wife's married name onto her bank account so she has remote access. They gave her a new ATM card but no remote access. We head back to the US tomorrow and hope the bank can resolve it without another visit. Time will tell. Anyway good luck, it must be difficult to live here if you can't get access to your money in the homeland.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Another issue I'm finding with the HSBC is they now send you a 6 digit one time passcode by text everytime you call them just to confirm it is you, you have to enter the code into your keypad or they hang up, no more birthdates, Mother's maiden name etc.

Then when they email you they use encrypted software that means you have to log onto a certain server to read the message, it needs to be a Google compliant phone and not a newer Huawei as I found out. Great for security I suppose but a pain in the butt when you are out for the day and all you have is a Huawei on you.

RBM
Posted
Posted

To me its quite amazing and baffling reading some of the horrible problems members have encountered. It quite beyond my understanding having no knowledge of the US regulations.

My US friend simply uses his credit card from the US in any BPI bank ATM to access his pension, never an issue. I have been with him during withdrawals.  Curious as to why others do not do same.

Its not an issue to open an account here if one has his ACI card, why can members not avail of money transfers, example Wise (I use them) or orbit plus so many others, not instant but max is 2 days. For sure almost everyone has internet banking in their home country.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, RBM said:

reading some of the horrible problems members have encountered

I think there are as many methods as there are expats to get their money into the Phil.

For us, my wife and my pension is deposited into our USA checking account, we go to our local bank, deposit $ into our US $ account here using paper checks. Withdraw $ as needed and exchange them at our local pawn shop/exchange place. Yes we have to pay a service charge per check and we have to wait for the checks to clear. But it is relatively stress free and works for us.....

stress-no-stress.jpg

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, RBM said:

To me its quite amazing and baffling reading some of the horrible problems members have encountered. It quite beyond my understanding having no knowledge of the US regulations.

My US friend simply uses his credit card from the US in any BPI bank ATM to access his pension, never an issue. I have been with him during withdrawals.  Curious as to why others do not do same.

Its not an issue to open an account here if one has his ACI card, why can members not avail of money transfers, example Wise (I use them) or orbit plus so many others, not instant but max is 2 days. For sure almost everyone has internet banking in their home country.

Most of the issues are the usual Filipino love of making simple things hard without applying common sense first. For me the HSBC was perfect for over 5yrs. My pension goes into my UK account, I transfer it instantly and for free to my Sterling HSBC account in the Philippines and when the exchange rate is good change it to peso usually within a few hours online at a great rate with no fees.

I also get two debit cards which I can use for free in the majority of ATM's.

It's only in the last few months they started clamping down they said to comply with the latest banking regulations for non full time resident visa holders, maybe other banks haven't read that memo yet. :whistling:

• Like 2

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

My problems are all to do with lousy Globe phone reception, the relative easy task of replying with a code is now a mammoth task. 
for some reason there is good reception at 3 a.m.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, RBM said:

For me, I simply send a sum of money from my UK account to my Phils account once a year and then it's a matter of withdrawing from my local account as and when I need.  If I were to use my UK card here I would face a 250php charge each time and no control over exchange rate given.  

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Surprise, surprise.  Today I received yet another email informing me they need further information before accepting an inward transaction to my account.

Starting to get seriously pissed off with them especially after all the phone calls and messages.  It wouldn't be so bad but the last phone call about one week ago ended with me asking twice for them to confirm 100% I am now a full time resident and will have no more issues.  I even explained I was assured also in April I'd have no issues and want confirmation and not just a " Yes Sir." No it's OK Sir we have fully updated your records and can guarantee all restrictions have been lifted. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Sad 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Snowy I feel your pain. As I have previously mentioned I have to get up at3 a.m. to get phone reception with Globe, to get their 2 factor authentication.

So this morning some I sent not so kind messages to Remitly asking them to let me know if they want my business or not because I am sick to death of being Phucked around.

Some customer support person called me back and apologised to me for the treatment I had been given and promised me that it won’t happen again.

While all of this was going on I tried to join, world remit,Orbit remit and wise. They all wanted the same shite, send my mug shot on webcam, passport and other proof of identification. Wise was the worst, they wanted information from me of where my funds were derived from.

I have given up for the day, I will have an early start again in the morning and see how I go.

I have even said to a couple of them “hey I am 70 years old,and not a teenager who grew up with all this webcam, app’s and the like”.

My rant finished.