Man nabbed for attacking Fil-Am family in California

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

My wife had planned on visiting the USA in the sprint of 2000 but that did not happen because of covid.  She has been reading about the increase in hate crimes against Asians in the US and now having second thoughts about a visit as travel becomes easier.   She really wants to visit some of those in the USA who help support our ministry here but is becoming increasingly worried as she reads about mass shootings and especially the uptick in violence against Asians.  Thoughts?

https://mb.com.ph/2022/06/23/man-nabbed-for-attacking-fil-am-family-in-california/

A man who assaulted a Filipino family at a fast-food parking lot in North Hollywood last month has been arrested.

The suspect was identified as Nicholas Weber, 31.

Weber was caught on video threatening and uttering racial slurs at Gabriel Roque and his family.

When Roque’s father showed up, Weber started to physically attack them.

A $300,000 bail has been recommended for Weber’s temporary freedom, according to a report from GMA News.

Court records also showed Weber’s lengthy criminal record, including cases of theft, domestic violence, and probation violation in Los Angeles County.

“I’m relieved that he’s been apprehended, but our fight doesn’t stop here. We still don’t know how his case will be handled but I’m hopeful that my family and I will get the justice that we deserve,” Patricia Roque, one of the victims, told GMA News.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Court records also showed Weber’s lengthy criminal record, including cases of theft, domestic violence, and probation violation in Los Angeles County

Your wife has very little to worry about visiting the US Mike. There are in fact few hate crimes against Asian Americans or Asian visitors. 

Now a days basically any attack on an American minority is reported as a hate crime by the so called media. Very few cases are truly a hate crime. In most cases its a mentally deranged druggie with a very long criminal record acting out. The condition of most Left Coast US major cities is despicable but going into those facts are not in the best interest of our forum or necessary to debate here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Old55 said:

Your wife has very little to worry about visiting the US Mike. There are in fact few hate crimes against Asian Americans or Asian visitors. 

Now a days basically any attack on an American minority is reported as a hate crime by the so called media. Very few cases are truly a hate crime. In most cases its a mentally deranged druggie with a very long criminal record acting out. The condition of most Left Coast US major cities is despicable but going into those facts are not in the best interest of our forum or necessary to debate here.

Agree.  In this case, it was a white crazy guy.  Most of these reported Asian hate crimes are committed by another race, but in any case, the perpetrators are mentally unbalanced.  Usually drugs and homelessness are involved.

Like any city, you have to know the areas not to go in.  When I lived and worked in Los Angeles, I knew where I should not be and avoided those areas.  And in Manila, I would not go to certain areas.  Unfortunately, in some cities like San Francisco, the whole city is not very safe.

I don't know where your wife planned to go, but it is always best to have someone local give advice on where not to go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 6/24/2022 at 12:32 PM, OnMyWay said:

Agree.  In this case, it was a white crazy guy.  Most of these reported Asian hate crimes are committed by another race, but in any case, the perpetrators are mentally unbalanced.  Usually drugs and homelessness are involved

I don't know about that. I read a lot of news and there does seem to be a lot of Asian related verbal or physical assaults' more recently from all walks of life.  

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I don't know about that. I read a lot of news and there does seem to be a lot of Asian related verbal or physical assaults' more recently from all walks of life.  

Same. But, I wonder I'd it's more a case of such attacks being more newsworthy now due to the Covid agenda?

• Hmm thinking 1

fototek1
Posted
Posted

As many have stated, the numbers seem to be up due to the way the media presents the cases. We live in the US and I travel a lot for work so the wife is home with the 2 security alarms (Dogs). She wanted a gun to protect against the Asian hate crimes (in the house.....you gotta see where we live), so I talked to her about the fact that she has never seen or heard of a hate crime except in the media and that hate crimes usually happen in public where to protect yourself you need to carry a defensive weapon/firearm at all times. She wanted a gun anyway but just to protect in the house while I was gone so then I told her my gun rules. 

• Shotguns are for home defense
  • If you have a gun you need to know how it works
  • If you have a gun for self defense you need to practice with it on a regular basis

She agreed and abides by my gun rules. When I am gone she keeps it close to the bed loaded. I hope she doesn't shoot me or the dogs some night when i come in at 2 am. :89: I think I will talk to her today and ask how many hate crimes she has seen/or heard of first hand now?

Interesting fact, my wife works in the tax department for the largest city in the area. Property taxes were raised last year between 8 and 15% and people were pissed. There were angry people, the police had to be called a few times but no hate crimes. Occasionally people comment about her accent and say they can't understand her and want to speak to an American. Her boss is from Grenada but is an American Citizen. Its awesome when someone then tells the boss same thing. My wife and her boss are the top 2 people in the department, if you want a higher rank you have to go to the mayor. Still no hate crimes or targeted attacks and they work in a place that makes people angry! Most people know the tax collector doesn't make the rules, they just enforce them. 

• Like 1