Thailand vs Philippines

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, ThaiWolf said:

Immigration is expensive. Both countries have hoops to overcome but Thailand does offer more in the way of incentives.

A very well put together comparison.  Thank you.  Of course opinions will differ but it was refreshing to hear yours.  Now to the "immigration" part that I quoted.  This is the first time I have heard of Thailand offering better incentives than Philippines.  Can you elaborate on that?

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, ThaiWolf said:

If I could take my girl to Thailand or even to another part of the Philippines I would give it a go but sadly her life is in Iloilo / Bacolod.
Bless her, she understands. 

Based on the attached report, I wouldn't advise you to waste your time trying anywhere else here - the Philippines is not for everyone.

https://touristspotsfinder.com/most-livable-cities-philippines/

skippyscage
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Greglm said:

Most people are not aware of the traffic laws and law enforcement is nonexistent.

I would take a guess that 50% or more don't even hold a driving licence and the number climbs the further south you go

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted

TW, I agree with everything you said.  And thank you for sharing your thoughts.  To me, the real value in staying here is your roots.  I have a wife who I love and adore (although there are days I question that......research Tampo) and 2 kids.  I have roots here that push me to see the positive side and make it work.  It seems your roots are in Thailand and the act of transplanting them here is going to be a trying journey to say the least (and maybe not worth the effort).  Maybe consider a part time PI experience (back and forth every 4 to 6 months) since your lady friend just might be a rare find anywhere and worth investing some time in to see if she is a positive value add to your life.  Just my thoughts.  In any case, I can truly say if I had the same roots here as you do, I would feel exactly as you do and would definitely rethink returning to the life you are more comfortable with.  And by the way (and I'm sure you already know this), but it is completely, 100% normal, for you to be feeling this way at this point in your transition.  Follow your heart my friend as it is your best guide.  Good luck to you TW and please keep us informed as to what you decide  (and if your decide to head back to Thailand, stay connected with us so we can experience your comparisons.  :cheersty:

• Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Peaceful John said:

TW, I agree with everything you said.  And thank you for sharing your thoughts.  To me, the real value in staying here is your roots.  I have a wife who I love and adore (although there are days I question that......research Tampo) and 2 kids.  I have roots here that push me to see the positive side and make it work.  It seems your roots are in Thailand and the act of transplanting them here is going to be a trying journey to say the least (and maybe not worth the effort).  Maybe consider a part time PI experience (back and forth every 4 to 6 months) since your lady friend just might be a rare find anywhere and worth investing some time in to see if she is a positive value add to your life.  Just my thoughts.  In any case, I can truly say if I had the same roots here as you do, I would feel exactly as you do and would definitely rethink returning to the life you are more comfortable with.  And by the way (and I'm sure you already know this), but it is completely, 100% normal, for you to be feeling this way at this point in your transition.  Follow your heart my friend as it is your best guide.  Good luck to you TW and please keep us informed as to what you decide  (and if your decide to head back to Thailand, stay connected with us so we can experience your comparisons.  :cheersty:

I think that this is an excellent take on living here in the Philippines.  How many of us would be here, and stay here, if our wives/partners weren't here?  I wouldn't.  Now, it's not that life here is so bad, and certainly my own experience of living here in Iloilo is very different from ThaiWolf's but so what - we are different people with different needs, wants, budgets, expectations, locations and partner/family around us.  

Side Note - My username is hk blues - all things being equal (they never are) I'd be in Hong Kong now, not the Philippines.  Maybe the same applies to ThaiWolf? 

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

To be fair sometimes once you've been here a while you adapt or tailor your expectations a bit, maybe even move around and change the scenery and circle of friends but one thing that did reopen my eyes was taking a short break to Cambodia, it makes you realise that the Philippines is a bit backward in certain areas which if it's one of your priorities could be a deal changer.  All the best back in Thailand. 

• Like 2