Thailand vs Philippines

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

To be fair sometimes once you've been here a while you adapt or tailor your expectations a bit, maybe even move around and change the scenery and circle of friends but one thing that did reopen my eyes was taking a short break to Cambodia, it makes you realise that the Philippines is a bit backward in certain areas which if it's one of your priorities could be a deal changer.  All the best back in Thailand. 

I'm interested in knowing in what ways the Philippines is behind Cambodia?  

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 6/24/2022 at 4:29 PM, ThaiWolf said:

I fully understand that my opinion is just that ... my opinion.

I wont answer all your posts but I think location is important. Your location is probably back woods type so you will have brownouts etc. 

Infrastructure, again its where you live. We have bike lanes, modern jeepneys, buses and everything else but I live in the second largest city. Hardly ever a brownout or water issues. 

Food cost probably higher since you arrived at a time when cost are increasing world wide.

You talk about visa cost, since you are married you can get a 13a which once done is cheap for a small yearly fee. Why your on a tourist visa I do not know.

Anyway both countries have for and against, I have never been to Thailand but follow a few vloggers so know what its like for most and in fact why many pack up and come to the Philippines is because of Thailand's limited visa options or hassles.  Stick it out for a year, move somewhere decent and enjoy. 

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I wont answer all your posts but I think location is important. Your location is probably back woods type so you will have brownouts etc. 

Infrastructure, again its where you live. We have bike lanes, modern jeepneys, buses and everything else but I live in the second largest city. Hardly ever a brownout or water issues. 

Food cost probably higher since you arrived at a time when cost are increasing world wide.

You talk about visa cost, since you are married you can get a 13a which once done is cheap for a small yearly fee. Why your on a tourist visa I do not know.

Anyway both countries have for and against, I have never been to Thailand but follow a few vloggers so know what its like for most and in fact why many pack up and come to the Philippines is because of Thailand's limited visa options or hassles.  Stick it out for a year, move somewhere decent and enjoy. 

I like many others have also spent time in Thailand and can appreciate most of the comments of the OP. Especially in the food line, fortunately for myself my partner is a foodie and always on You tube finding and cooking different wonderful exotic meals, most spices are available from local Indian shops here. The local food (at least here in Bacolod) is terrible, bland is an understatement. 

What seems strange is the OP is prepared to to sacrifice what is a excellent relationship in a short time to continue living in Thailand, just appears strange to me..

Two close friends of mine resident here have previously lived many years in Thailand but prefer living  here, the English being widely spoken plays a major part in their decisions.  Both state the Thais in general are more mercenary that Filipinos......What ever that may mean.

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
On 6/25/2022 at 4:31 PM, hk blues said:

I only went to Siem Reap but it looked like the town planners had designed the infrastructure for 20yrs in the future allowing for growth. Wifi was excellent and everything was well organised. If they say they will arrive at a set time they turn up 5 minutes before.  If you ask for something and they don't have it they will admit to not having it but arrange with you there to get what you want with an accurate time frame. 

Waitresses knew what was on the menu and asked if you want a drink as soon as you sat down and started browsing the menu. The selection of food was excellent and good value.  They also knew how to give directions.

The only downside was their English was like a bad Chinese movie and at times hard to understand. 

• Like 4

Colsie
Posted
Posted
On 6/25/2022 at 4:31 PM, hk blues said:

For me, Cambodian banking has the advantage over the Philippines. This is partly because it has a dual currency system, the Cambodian Riel and the US Dollar. 

Cambodia was in past (not sure about now) an easy country to live visa wise. Also, a driving licence could be arranged within a few days by travel agents in Phnom Penh...

Phnom Penh water and sewage system was upgraded and improved over the last 20yrs and even won international acclaim. The city skyline has started to change more recently as developers build new modern high rise facilities. 

The telecom industry in Cambodia is much better and cheaper than the Philippines... 

The local foods (and beer) are delicious and the breads are excellent, in part to the French influences... (not sure about deep fried turantulas).. 

Cambodia also has land borders with Vietnam, Laos and Thailand.. 

The roads throughout the country are a bit of a nightmare, in the rainy season, some are just muddy barely passable roads and in the summer incredibly dusty... 

• Like 5

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Colsie said:

For me, Cambodian banking has the advantage over the Philippines. This is partly because it has a dual currency system, the Cambodian Riel and the US Dollar. 

Cambodia was in past (not sure about now) an easy country to live visa wise. Also, a driving licence could be arranged within a few days by travel agents in Phnom Penh...

Phnom Penh water and sewage system was upgraded and improved over the last 20yrs and even won international acclaim. The city skyline has started to change more recently as developers build new modern high rise facilities. 

The telecom industry in Cambodia is much better and cheaper than the Philippines... 

The local foods (and beer) are delicious and the breads are excellent, in part to the French influences... (not sure about deep fried turantulas).. 

Cambodia also has land borders with Vietnam, Laos and Thailand.. 

The roads throughout the country are a bit of a nightmare, in the rainy season, some are just muddy barely passable roads and in the summer incredibly dusty... 

I'm glad you clarified the Cambodia situation, the last time I was there was in 2009 and thought it was not the best infrastructure-wise.  Nice to see things are developing for the better there.  

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I only went to Siem Reap but it looked like the town planners had designed the infrastructure for 20yrs in the future allowing for growth. Wifi was excellent and everything was well organised. If they say they will arrive at a set time they turn up 5 minutes before.  If you ask for something and they don't have it they will admit to not having it but arrange with you there to get what you want with an accurate time frame. 

Waitresses knew what was on the menu and asked if you want a drink as soon as you sat down and started browsing the menu. The selection of food was excellent and good value.  They also knew how to give directions.

The only downside was their English was like a bad Chinese movie and at times hard to understand. 

I see - so more advanced in terms of mindset, behaviours and attitudes than necessarily infrastructure etc - makes sense.  

• Like 2