Thailand vs Philippines

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, ThaiWolf said:

I'm back in my old stomping ground looking forward to my badminton tonight.

Played badminton in college and fell in love with the sport. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 6/26/2022 at 8:56 PM, Snowy79 said:

I only went to Siem Reap but it looked like the town planners had designed the infrastructure for 20yrs in the future allowing for growth. Wifi was excellent and everything was well organised. If they say they will arrive at a set time they turn up 5 minutes before.  If you ask for something and they don't have it they will admit to not having it but arrange with you there to get what you want with an accurate time frame. 

Waitresses knew what was on the menu and asked if you want a drink as soon as you sat down and started browsing the menu. The selection of food was excellent and good value.  They also knew how to give directions.

The only downside was their English was like a bad Chinese movie and at times hard to understand. 

Siem Reap is a tourist destination. If one (I going back few years) travels around the country as I have it is without question far behind the Philippines. Again this is many years ago

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 6/27/2022 at 2:57 PM, ThaiWolf said:

The Philippines is definitely 50% + more expensive on most items, especially meat

Strange, I was watching a vlogger just yesterday and he said prices are skyrocketing in Thailand.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 6/27/2022 at 1:11 AM, Colsie said:

There's no typhoons, volcanoes, and earthquakes are rare

Did you forget the tsunamis that killed many? 

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Strange, I was watching a vlogger just yesterday and he said prices are skyrocketing in Thailand.

Cost of living comparison between Dumaguete (where I live) and Chiang Mai (where I used to spend most  of my time).

The data is only as good as the contributions but it's the best we're going to get:

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Philippines&city1=Dumaguete&country2=Thailand&city2=Chiang+Mai

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 5

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Rampart inflation seems to be occurring almost everywhere.   I think some, maybe much, of the inflation was because governments around the world dumped trillions of dollars into the local economies during covid.  Much of that money, at least in the USA, went to people not affected by covid so it was like getting a huge gift of money.  Most people will spend an unexpected "gift" and that drives up inflation.  The war in Ukraine, supply chain issues due to covid, have exacerbated the problem.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Cost of living comparison between Dumaguete (where I live) and Chang Mai (where I used to spend most  of my time).

The data is only as good as the contributions but it's the best we're going to get:

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Philippines&city1=Dumaguete&country2=Thailand&city2=Chiang+Mai

Yes but video I watched is only a few days old. The guy said it cost the equivalent to $15 USD extra to fill his tank this time and food cost have gone up just like it has here. Even Jeepneys increased the fare yesterday but my point was someone said its cheaper but may not be at the moment and for a long time.

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes but video I watched is only a few days old. The guy said it cost the equivalent to $15 USD extra to fill his tank this time and food cost have gone up just like it has here. Even Jeepneys increased the fare yesterday but my point was someone said its cheaper but may not be at the moment and for a long time.

And overall the numbers show that it's more expensive in Thailand.  

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

And overall the numbers show that it's more expensive in Thailand.  

Brett.....long time since I have been there, mostly motorcycling and loved it.

The most important issue is   Comparison (up to date) of BEER....

We are considering a couple weeks there this year, just loved food like all, in spite of the MSG which I understand is not so harmful as thought.

• Haha 2