Thailand vs Philippines

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, RBM said:

Brett.....long time since I have been there, mostly motorcycling and loved it.

The most important issue is   Comparison (up to date) of BEER....

We are considering a couple weeks there this year, just loved food like all, in spite of the MSG which I understand is not so harmful as thought.

The OP said beer here was cheaper...I stopped reading after that as what else do we need to know? :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1

Colsie
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Did you forget the tsunamis that killed many? 

No JGF, I didn't forget the boxing day tsunami that killed so many and virtually destroyed Phi Phi Island, good point. 

But l was stating some of the advantages of Thailand over the Philippines :89:... 

Edited by Colsie

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 6/30/2022 at 6:55 PM, Colsie said:

But l was stating some of the advantages of Thailand over the Philippines :89:

Yes I know and I was just making a point that there may not be certain natural disasters out to get us there but there is at least one. Great time to go to one of the tourist islands and buy up a few closed business. People slowly coming back but I think it will take a long time to for Thailand to recover.

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

Hi guys, long time since I was active here, but seen many interesting topics here last months, so ... back again.

@ ThaiWolf: same as me, you been spoiled from the get go (I guess) with Thailands comfort, better infrastructure, and more. It's difficult to adjust from Thailand to the Philippines, but 4 weeks was way to short to get a real feel about the country and it's wonderful people.

Sure, Philippines are not for everyone - but give it time, and the country grow on you.

Immigration has always been a pleasure in the Philippines, no complaints.

Traffic move slowly, so way safer to driver a motorcycle in the Philippines.

The native are genuine curious to learn more about us, and be called sir, make me smile daily. Try to communicate with the average Thai person and one get a empty stare. And what they call us here i  Thailand ... Well I will mention that later.

And important for many, a relationship seems and feels way more genuine in the Philippines, although some sure has been burned, as they would be in any country. I expect some to disagree, but thats ok. In Thailand it always feels like a business transaction, even when in a long time relationship. Talking from 23 years of living in Thailand, and only dating / relationship with ladies with a normal proper job, and income above average 12,000 thb. It still comes down to 'how much I'm willing to support her with, every month'. 650-900$ are requested by the majority. Monthly.

Philippines ladies doesn't seems so bad in comparison, do they?

In Thailand foreigners are often called buffalo, (TH: kwai) (makes one feel welcome, doesn't it) and a government person went ever further at the start of the pandemic. Way further ...

A group of senior foreigners was fined 100,000 Thb each or 2,760$ when caught without a face mask in Thailand, early in the pandemic. 

Thailand vs Philippines topic are hot topic on all thai forums as well, never seems to agree there either.

Else, Since 2011 until covid began, I spent more time in the Philippines than in Thailand. Although I could complain about many things, the country grow on me every year I spent 6-12 months in the Philippines. So I came back again and again. Left the Philippines just before covid started and that was due to medical reasons, I knew some major surgery was needed, and the need for opioids during months of recovery was obvious. Knowing that this isn't available in the Philippines, I returned to Thailand.

Since my medical issues was fixed, I was longing to return to the Philippines, but covid made it impossible. Early this year bangkok to cebu r/t with PAL was 800$ compared to 320$ pre covid.

Reading a few reports here from the few brave who dared to travel to the Philippines this year, I am itching to get back, although I expect another chock would come, when see the damage done by mother nature.

Thailand currently have a uptrend in covid cases after Thailand pass and insurance was no longer required, and face mask outdoors become a recommendation, but not forced. Currently average 40,000 arrivals per day in Thailand since 1 july. One don't need to be a genius to see that a new surge will come the next 2 months. Add on chickenPox into the equation, and all should seriously consider if this is the time to travel?

Are Thailand so much better?

Dual pricing 3-5x.

Immigration famous for create problems for many, and stear people towards agents and pay 6-12 times more for a non o 'retirement' application or extension.

Xenophobia extreme.

Corruption without end.

Road Death toll 2'nd in the world.

Todays Thai news:

Screenshot_20220707-143711_Samsung Internet.jpg

Just when tourist arrivals just started to pick up. Can't fix stupid.

Both countries has warts and more. Pick your poison, but wherever we stay, and the more we age, we will always complain, woun't we?

Personally, I regret that I didn't start my expat life in the Philippines.

But one thing is sure: I will be back there, with a 😁

• Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, CebuAndy said:

Hi guys, long time since I was active here, but seen many interesting topics here last months, so ... back again.

@ ThaiWolf: same as me, you been spoiled from the get go (I guess) with Thailands comfort, better infrastructure, and more. It's difficult to adjust from Thailand to the Philippines, but 4 weeks was way to short to get a real feel about the country and it's wonderful people.

Sure, Philippines are not for everyone - but give it time, and the country grow on you.

Immigration has always been a pleasure in the Philippines, no complaints.

Traffic move slowly, so way safer to driver a motorcycle in the Philippines.

The native are genuine curious to learn more about us, and be called sir, make me smile daily. Try to communicate with the average Thai person and one get a empty stare. And what they call us here i  Thailand ... Well I will mention that later.

And important for many, a relationship seems and feels way more genuine in the Philippines, although some sure has been burned, as they would be in any country. I expect some to disagree, but thats ok. In Thailand it always feels like a business transaction, even when in a long time relationship. Talking from 23 years of living in Thailand, and only dating / relationship with ladies with a normal proper job, and income above average 12,000 thb. It still comes down to 'how much I'm willing to support her with, every month'. 650-900$ are requested by the majority. Monthly.

Philippines ladies doesn't seems so bad in comparison, do they?

In Thailand foreigners are often called buffalo, (TH: kwai) (makes one feel welcome, doesn't it) and a government person went ever further at the start of the pandemic. Way further ...

A group of senior foreigners was fined 100,000 Thb each or 2,760$ when caught without a face mask in Thailand, early in the pandemic. 

Thailand vs Philippines topic are hot topic on all thai forums as well, never seems to agree there either.

Else, Since 2011 until covid began, I spent more time in the Philippines than in Thailand. Although I could complain about many things, the country grow on me every year I spent 6-12 months in the Philippines. So I came back again and again. Left the Philippines just before covid started and that was due to medical reasons, I knew some major surgery was needed, and the need for opioids during months of recovery was obvious. Knowing that this isn't available in the Philippines, I returned to Thailand.

Since my medical issues was fixed, I was longing to return to the Philippines, but covid made it impossible. Early this year bangkok to cebu r/t with PAL was 800$ compared to 320$ pre covid.

Reading a few reports here from the few brave who dared to travel to the Philippines this year, I am itching to get back, although I expect another chock would come, when see the damage done by mother nature.

Thailand currently have a uptrend in covid cases after Thailand pass and insurance was no longer required, and face mask outdoors become a recommendation, but not forced. Currently average 40,000 arrivals per day in Thailand since 1 july. One don't need to be a genius to see that a new surge will come the next 2 months. Add on chickenPox into the equation, and all should seriously consider if this is the time to travel?

Are Thailand so much better?

Dual pricing 3-5x.

Immigration famous for create problems for many, and stear people towards agents and pay 6-12 times more for a non o 'retirement' application or extension.

Xenophobia extreme.

Corruption without end.

Road Death toll 2'nd in the world.

Todays Thai news:

Screenshot_20220707-143711_Samsung Internet.jpg

Just when tourist arrivals just started to pick up. Can't fix stupid.

Both countries has warts and more. Pick your poison, but wherever we stay, and the more we age, we will always complain, woun't we?

Personally, I regret that I didn't start my expat life in the Philippines.

But one thing is sure: I will be back there, with a 😁

Thank you for providing another perspective.

And I'm not just saying that because you've "stuck up" for the Philippines (well, maybe a little) :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1