Thomas Fleming

RBM
Posted
Posted

Hi guys, I have read and really enjoyed books from the above late author.  Recently have been trying to buy his novel  The Officers  Wifes without success.

Not available, even to order in the local book shops. Any tips on where to find appreciated.

I am not into kindle and to old to learn, plus could not imagine reading a novel on line....   Amazon I have never used and not much idea how it works but if its there maybe worth a shot.  Unsure how this would work for payment.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here you go;

https://www.amazon.com/Officers-Wives-Thomas-J-Fleming/dp/0446325570/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1656123022&sr=1-1

I like biographies and novels like the one you listed in book format like God intended. LOL 

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, RBM said:

Amazon I have never used and not much idea how it works but if its there maybe worth a shot.

Good news, bad news, good news and bad again.

I looked it up on amazon, you can still get the book. cost about 40 usd...20 for the book, 20 for shipping....In the past I have bought via Amazon, they are usually shipped via post and I have had to pick it up at the post office. 50% of the time I then have to pay VAT another 12 % or so...

Like you, I always read "real" books but was finally forced to use kindle....with the help of others on the forum. Even being one of the original Luddite's, I actually found it quite easy...and am glad I did,,,have been able to read books I have been waiting 10 years to read...I use my cell phone,,,,,,trust me its easy.

Bad news is that this title is not available on kindle

If you need more info let me know  :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

@RBM  There are plenty of used ones on Amazon for 5-6 dollars.  If you can wait a month or two, I will buy it for you.  I'm planning to order some clothes and use Shipping Cart to send them here.  Easy to add the book.  After the order arrives in a month or two, I'll send it to you on LBC or someone like that.

Screenshot (701).png

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted

RBM, I wish there was a way I could share it with you as I have it in my Kindle library and it's a great read.  I do encourage you to consider taking small steps toward using the Amazon fire pad.  It's so simple and my library goes with me where ever I go.  If you have an amazon account, adding a Kindle account to it is very simple with you Amazon info becoming your Kindle info.  Plain and simple.  Most books I read are free, and when I select them to read, they download in less than a minute.  The Fire Pads are delivered to you already set up with your info once you sign in and you can use it for everything you desire.  And they are pretty cheap too in comparison.  Just my thoughts my friend.  Good luck to you and enjoy the book. :cheersty:

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, scott h said:

I then have to pay VAT another 12 % or so..

12% is only payable for goods with a value of 10k peso and over so not sure why you would pay it for $40 USD? 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

12% is only payable for goods with a value of 10k peso and over so not sure why you would pay it for $40 USD? 

Well Jolly, its like this, the guy at the post office had me by what us Yanks call between a rock and a hard place, aka by the short and curlies..

I had ordered my stuff, I had paid for my stuff, I had waited for my stuff and HE HAD MY STUFF! So I had to make the decision if I wanted my stuff. (another time after I ordered something I found it locally and when it finally came in, I told them they could keep it lol)

Now having said all that. Since I am a semi intelligent person who did not fall off the turnip truck on the way to the big city and having dealt with government double speak for over 30 years I originally thought I smelt a rat and asked to see the regulation that said I had to pay VAT on an order from Amazon. The head man at the post office was very polite and friendly and said he could use a memory refresher also. So he invited me back to his office where he dug out the relevant regulation. No matter how hard we tried to find a loop hole (he was actually on my side) we could not find one and the bottom line was............I wanted my stuff! :hystery:

what ya gonna do.png

• Haha 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

@RBM  There are plenty of used ones on Amazon for 5-6 dollars.  If you can wait a month or two, I will buy it for you.  I'm planning to order some clothes and use Shipping Cart to send them here.  Easy to add the book.  After the order arrives in a month or two, I'll send it to you on LBC or someone like that.

Screenshot (701).png

That is a very kind offer  of which I would love to avail. Gives me a warm feeling of how members will go to their extreme to assist others, deeply appreciated and I shall PM you.

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Peaceful John said:

RBM, I wish there was a way I could share it with you as I have it in my Kindle library and it's a great read.  I do encourage you to consider taking small steps toward using the Amazon fire pad.  It's so simple and my library goes with me where ever I go.  If you have an amazon account, adding a Kindle account to it is very simple with you Amazon info becoming your Kindle info.  Plain and simple.  Most books I read are free, and when I select them to read, they download in less than a minute.  The Fire Pads are delivered to you already set up with your info once you sign in and you can use it for everything you desire.  And they are pretty cheap too in comparison.  Just my thoughts my friend.  Good luck to you and enjoy the book. :cheersty:

Yes been told numerous time, but....what is easy for a computer geek unfortunately does not apply to a computer dummy. Plus do not have any Amazon account. Still get wearying going through stacks of books at Book Store as 90% appear to be woman authors which do not do much for me.

I do have a Le nova tablet which may or may not be suitable for Kindle......Find it hard to imagine reading a novel on a tablet....Still can handle the BBC every am so be a step or two up.

• Love it 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, scott h said:

Good news, bad news, good news and bad again.

I looked it up on amazon, you can still get the book. cost about 40 usd...20 for the book, 20 for shipping....In the past I have bought via Amazon, they are usually shipped via post and I have had to pick it up at the post office. 50% of the time I then have to pay VAT another 12 % or so...

Like you, I always read "real" books but was finally forced to use kindle....with the help of others on the forum. Even being one of the original Luddite's, I actually found it quite easy...and am glad I did,,,have been able to read books I have been waiting 10 years to read...I use my cell phone,,,,,,trust me its easy.

Bad news is that this title is not available on kindle

If you need more info let me know  :thumbsup:

Thanks your effort and advice, guess you have read the post of On My Way which I shall follow up on.