McDonalds prices around the world

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Joey G said:

I bought mine in Hong Kong for $25!!!!!   threw in a Nike t-shirt for $5!!!! 

Fa Yeung Street (Sneaker Street)  in Hong Kong is the place to go for cut-price Nike's etc - mostly legit as well albeit not the latest releases.  Much of the stuff sold here cheaply is fake even though they claim they're factory seconds. 

Colsie
Posted
Posted
On 7/3/2022 at 8:07 PM, Lieutenant Dan said:

Based on this analogy, I always wondered how so many locals can afford to eat at McD’s, BK, KFC, Jollibee’s or any similar place in the Phil’s.  

Are they OFW’s, being supported by an OFW in the family, or are they saving up money for weeks (or months) at a time for the rare visit to one of these eateries :89:

Reminds of waiting in line at the Mc Donald's across from the local college and this student in front of me was looking at the menu above the cashier for a minute or two, before saying to her I'll just have the rice and cup of water...

On a different occasion, I knew I was in a poor country when the guy in front of me at the tindahan (sari sari), got the shopkeeper to take three outer leaves off a cabbage a weigh them... 

• Haha 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

As a side note, the most popular chain in California is In-N-Out Burger.  Hard to make one on one sales comparisons with McDonalds because the company is privately owned by a family.  They don't publish financial statements.  Their burgers are excellent and lower priced than McDonalds.  Another potential, future rival is Jollibee.  They are still not sure if the popularity is the seasoning that appeals to Asians, so most outlets are in California, New York and Canada in cities with Asian population.  Waiting to see if Jollibee opens an outlet in the Midwest.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, JJReyes said:

As a side note, the most popular chain in California is In-N-Out Burger.  Hard to make one on one sales comparisons with McDonalds because the company is privately owned by a family.  They don't publish financial statements.  Their burgers are excellent and lower priced than McDonalds.  Another potential, future rival is Jollibee.  They are still not sure if the popularity is the seasoning that appeals to Asians, so most outlets are in California, New York and Canada in cities with Asian population.  Waiting to see if Jollibee opens an outlet in the Midwest.

They'll need to triple their portion sizes if they hope to compete with McDonald's!

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, hk blues said:

They'll need to triple their portion sizes if they hope to compete with McDonald's!

People who like their restaurant meals or fast food in moderation may like the smaller servings.  I prefer the smaller serving sizes here as opposed to what was common prior to our leaving the USA.  Part of the reason obesity is such a huge problem in the USA is both the quality, too much fat, starch, sugar, and the QUANTITY of food eaten.  Unfortunately that is becoming more common here also.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

People who like their restaurant meals or fast food in moderation may like the smaller servings.  I prefer the smaller serving sizes here as opposed to what was common prior to our leaving the USA.  Part of the reason obesity is such a huge problem in the USA is both the quality, too much fat, starch, sugar, and the QUANTITY of food eaten.  Unfortunately that is becoming more common here also.

image.jpeg

True for those amongst us who do look after our health you're completely correct but based on the reality I fear small portions equate to small profits.

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted

How about ordering at the drive-thru with a carload of filipinos? Worst nightmare, even my wife after living stateside for 30 years. What do you want honey? …. “burger”, points at the menu with 10 different burger options like I’m somehow in her brain. Then she always orders some beverage that’s not on the menu like mango juice. Then it’s one by one, niece what do you want? “Chicken” nephew what do you want? “Burger”

• Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Heeb said:

How about ordering at the drive-thru with a carload of filipinos? Worst nightmare, even my wife after living stateside for 30 years. What do you want honey? …. “burger”, points at the menu with 10 different burger options like I’m somehow in her brain. Then she always orders some beverage that’s not on the menu like mango juice. Then it’s one by one, niece what do you want? “Chicken” nephew what do you want? “Burger”

Hear you!

My wife has a habit of sitting down without telling me what she wants and then doing that thing with her chin to point in the general direction of the 12×3 board. Alternatively, she will mouth her choice which is equally useless. Another is 'the usual' as if she always orders the same thing.

It's litte wonder fast food is anything but here!

All part of the fun!

• Haha 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Heeb said:

The emphasis in the West is independent thinking.  You have individuals order what they want.  The Philippines is herd mentally.  Just order for everyone and be done.  If you are in a Filipino restaurant, the group is seated, and one person goes to the turo-turo counter or talks to the waiter.  

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, hk blues said:

My wife has a habit of sitting down without telling me what she wants and then doing that thing with her chin to point in the general direction of the 12×3 board. Alternatively, she will mouth her choice which is equally useless. Another is 'the usual' as if she always orders the same thing.

Pointing with the chin, lips or lifting eyebrows is what makes Filipino endearing.  Get used to it.  As much as Filipinos want to become more Western, certain old habits remain.  

• Like 1