I Am Back

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Some great walking on Boracay but all outdoors. The main beach although 4km long only has about 2km shaded by palm trees then there's Mount Luho which has some sheltered spots plus a nice breeze usually. I run a circuit around it sometimes which takes in the hill plus just over 1km of the main beach, total distance just under 7km.  Finally there's the walk to the Keyhole at Newcoast, about 5km from the gate to the keyhole and back. The return is pretty much uphill all the way but very open to the sun.

I will search our storage locker for photographs (transparencies) taken and possibly donate them to the local tourism office.  The plan is to stay about a month in Borocay and walk the beach during the early morning hours.  We usually sleep early and get up around 4:00 am.  My assumption is less people between 6:00 am and 7:30 am.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Viking said:

I understand you want to see the family if you have been away for a long time, but is it not better to have your walks outside instead, if you are conserned of covid?

I can only imagine what Boracay looked like 40 years ago. My first visit was 1992 and I thought it was amazing. I must say that I am disappointed in the way it has "developed", but maybe you like it. Just be prepared to see something completely different!

My wife is the one with concerns about covid.  She continues to wear a mask.  I don't.  You can't completely avoid Covid-19, but precautions could lower the risk.

My comparison for Borocay would be the island of Naxos, Greece where we stayed a month last year.  Our hotel's location was a few steps from the main pedestrian road.  It's crescent shape lined with restaurants, shops, tourism offices, etc. next to the harbor that was filled with private boats and charters.  First visit to a restaurant and you are considered a tourist.  Second visit and you are a guest entitled to a small, free appetizer dish.  Third visit and you are family.  The owner seats a few minutes at your table.  The dessert is complimentary, accompanied by a small glass of the local wine.  

While Borocay looks like it is now 100% commercial, my wife is hoping for a similar experience to Naxos.  She writes a blog on a daily basis.  

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Viking said:

I can only imagine what Boracay looked like 40 years ago. My first visit was 1992 and I thought it was amazing. I must say that I am disappointed in the way it has "developed", but maybe you like it. Just be prepared to see something completely different!

I do not care for crowds.  Boracay in 2004 never went back.  El Nedo several years back, nice but also too crowded for me.   I like peace and solitude.  My favorite place to visit is my back deck looking out over the water.  :tongue:

IMG_20220217_181519.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

I do not care for crowds.  Boracay in 2004 never went back.  El Nedo several years back, nice but also too crowded for me.   I like peace and solitude.  My favorite place to visit is my back deck looking out over the water.  :tongue:

IMG_20220217_181519.jpg

One of the reasons we're moving up to Guihulngan in a couple of months:  The peace and quiet :cheers:

• I'm Confused 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Mike J said:

IMG_20220217_181519.jpg

Is that Zaragosa island in the far distance?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Viking said:

Is that Zaragosa island in the far distance?

Yes it is.   Photo taken looking due South and Zaragosa right at five KM away over the water.  Here is another photo, this one a panorama.  The island is just to the right of center in the photo.

Sunset Panorama.jpg

Edited by Mike J
added a photo

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Yes it is.   Photo taken looking due South and Zaragosa right at five KM away over the water.  Here is another photo, this one a panorama.  The island is just to the right of center in the photo.

Sunset Panorama.jpg

You have a beautiful view from your place Mike!

I hope to go back to Moalboal soon, I always liked it there, great snorkeling and diving at an affordable price and the place is not too big.

• Thanks 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Joey G said:
On 6/28/2022 at 4:54 AM, JJReyes said:

Third visit and you are family. 

In the Philippines that would mean you are now responsible for everyones dinner, education, and a monthly stipend :hystery:

Love the Greeks.  They still want your tourism dollars, but it is done with finesse.  Compare that to the Turks.  We spent 3 weeks last May in Istanbul and they were vicious.  Cheating visitors is an art.  Chestnut vendors gave you less for the same price.  Menus at restaurants had two different prices - one for locals and another for visitors.  Then they added non-existent taxes to the scrap piece of paper.

It should be more fun in the Philippines.  I will speak in standard American English before switching to Tagalog before haggling over prices.

baronapart
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Joey G said:

In the Philippines that would mean you are now responsible for everyones dinner, education, and a monthly stipend :hystery:

I wanted to reply with both a laughing and crying emoticon....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2