I Am Back

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 6/28/2022 at 7:54 PM, JJReyes said:

She continues to wear a mask.  I don't

You will in most parts here like the mall otherwise you wont get in.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Love the Greeks.  They still want your tourism dollars, but it is done with finesse.  Compare that to the Turks.  We spent 3 weeks last May in Istanbul and they were vicious.  Cheating visitors is an art.  Chestnut vendors gave you less for the same price.  Menus at restaurants had two different prices - one for locals and another for visitors.  Then they added non-existent taxes to the scrap piece of paper.

It should be more fun in the Philippines.  I will speak in standard American English before switching to Tagalog before haggling over prices.

Better use British English - we don't tip as generously! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, hk blues said:

I say.... splendid idea.

• Haha 5

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Any suggestions regarding places to visit?  So far, our list includes:

Metro Manila

Cebu City

Baguio City

Boracay 

We normally stay 2 to 4 weeks at each location.  Our Philippine trip is five months starting this November.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Any suggestions regarding places to visit?  So far, our list includes:

Metro Manila

Cebu City

Baguio City

Boracay 

We normally stay 2 to 4 weeks at each location.  Our Philippine trip is five months starting this November.

Coron and El Nido. 

Major Tom
Posted
Posted
On 6/30/2022 at 12:18 AM, hk blues said:

Maybe with a Scottish variant?… since (rightly or wrongly) the Scots have a reputation of being the most kuripant (stingy) type of Brits. :whistling:

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Lieutenant Dan said:

Maybe with a Scottish variant?… since (rightly or wrongly) the Scots have a reputation of being the most kuripant (stingy) type of Brits. :whistling:

I think it's probably a stereotype but, like most stereotypes, it has a grain of truth in it.  Probably comes from 2 things - the frugality of the Church of Scotland compared to the Catholic religion and the simple fact poverty was prevalent so people had no choice but be frugal.  

All that said, you wouldn't have to wait long to be offered a pint in a bar in Scotland so we're not all that bad!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, hk blues said:

you wouldn't have to wait long to be offered a pint in a bar in Scotland

I used to carry whiskey made in Alberta.  When I wanted a Scotsman to buy me a drink I offered it too him and claimed it to be better than Scotch.  Ahhhh the pride of a Scotsman.  I never had to buy a drink.

• Haha 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Lieutenant Dan said:

That's Yorkshire men.  There's a rumour copper wire was invented by two Yorkshire men fighting over a penny. :whistling:

• Haha 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
On 7/1/2022 at 7:33 AM, Snowy79 said:

Coron and El Nido. 

My online research indicates there are flights from Manila to Coron.  After the visit to Coron, is it possible to take a boat or some other form of transportation to El Nido?