Beer Truck Crash. 1 killed, 1 injured

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

This is very near where I live.  The link is a FB post of a CCTV video of the actual accident.

https://fb.watch/dVs7h79J_o/

290261724_4442995302469706_8849920194194149302_n.jpg  290522009_4442995235803046_4668640217198469111_n.jpg

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

• OnMyWay changed the title to Beer Truck Crash. 1 killed, 1 injured
  • Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Thirty plus years in the trucking industry, several of those years as Safety Director.  The driver took the corner way too fast with a top heavy load.  Either a new driver or one who had not traveled this road often? :sad:

Alternate (Philippine) scenario - "HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH ME DRIFT THIS NEXT CORNER.  YEE HAW!" :hystery:

• Haha 2

Wavewind
Posted
Posted

Sad about the loss of life and for the families.

On the other hand the area will be cleaned up quickly by bystanders (?)

On vacation in Bali years back.. a few hours before we stopped for lunch a truck overturned and killed 2 tourists on mopeds...He hit a dip turn in the road at high speed, pushing the top heavy load and the truck over as they passed eachother.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Thirty plus years in the trucking industry, several of those years as Safety Director.  The driver took the corner way too fast with a top heavy load.  Either a new driver or one who had not traveled this road often? :sad:

Alternate (Philippine) scenario - "HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH ME DRIFT THIS NEXT CORNER.  YEE HAW!" :hystery:

Most likely, brake failure.  You can't see it in the video, but the section just before he appears in the video is a steep, curvy section.  He could have been on the brakes all the way down and lost them near the bottom.  A neighbor said that none of these trucks have trailer brakes.

Edit:  Found that guys post:

I have said many times after each accident, trailer brakes, trailer brakes, trailer brakes.... and it appears they are most likely a contributing factor here as well... sometimes training is worth the cost, unless you can get away with the consequences time and time again that is i guess... the investigators might want to start here !

289993667_10158592041252115_4057732535816663318_n.jpg

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I'm guessing, but I would say the driver might have been the fatality.  Think he had a seatbelt on?

290901608_391484673012774_7297348984054563985_n.jpg

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm guessing, but I would say the driver might have been the fatality.  Think he had a seatbelt on?

290901608_391484673012774_7297348984054563985_n.jpg

Or maybe a passenger was the fatality as the right side took the most damage. :89:  I also noticed in @OnMyWay post that at least one of the tires has been "slid out".  That flat spot on the tire is caused when the brake is applied and the tire locks up.  Had to go to quite a few truck accidents as a safety director.  I saw tractors that were so smashed up you would swear the driver had been killed.  In every case the driver survived if wearing seatbelts.  I worked for the company 32 years and we never lost a driver due to an accident. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Or maybe a passenger was the fatality as the right side took the most damage. :89:  I also noticed in @OnMyWay post that at least one of the tires has been "slid out".  That flat spot on the tire is caused when the brake is applied and the tire locks up.  Had to go to quite a few truck accidents as a safety director.  I saw tractors that were so smashed up you would swear the driver had been killed.  In every case the driver survived if wearing seatbelts.  I worked for the company 32 years and we never lost a driver due to an accident. 

In true Filipino fashion, the City of Olongapo has posted pictures of firemen extracting the driver and trying to resuscitate him.  They were giving him CPR but I think it was a while before they got him out and started.  He had probably been dead for a while.  I didn't see evidence of a passenger.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Mike J said:

In every case the driver survived if wearing seatbelts.  I worked for the company 32 years and we never lost a driver due to an accident. 

That surprises me, as the most frustrating driver fatality that sticks in my mind during a similar number of years as a Greyhound bus driver was caused by the driver wearing a seatbelt.  He was hit broadside, totally unexpectedly, which forced half his body out the side window.  If not for the seatbelt he would have been thrown clear, however the seatbelt held him in place long enough for the bus to topple sideways (like this truck in the pic) and crush his body.  BUT none of the safety guys saw it that way.  Funny that.  There IS an agenda.

• Like 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Wonder how many commercial vehicles go under a safety inspection on a regular basis in the Philippines?  Last time there we took a bus/van from Tacloban to Guiuan... the sound of the "brakes" was like holding screwdriver on a grinder wheel.  I still don't know why I just didn't get off :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1