You have got to kidding me!

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

The new Philippine 1000 peso note is made of polymer and the Central Bank says "you should not fold it".    Not sure if I should laugh or cry. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

https://ph.yahoo.com/news/sexist-unnecessary-netizens-slam-php1000-113142914.html

Coconuts Manila
Mon, June 27, 2022, 7:31 PM

ICYDK, the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP; Central Bank of the Philippines) released guidelines on handling the new PHP1000 polymer banknotes, which include keeping them flat and not folding them in half — as one inevitably would when storing them in a folding wallet.

BSP Governor Felipe Medalla realizes this and has asked the public to carry a longer-sized wallet instead, adding that women would not have a hard time because they carry handbags, a remark that clearly did not sit well with people online.

In an interview with One News, Medalla said, “One thing to adjust is to have wallets or purses that prevent it from being totally folded. The wallet must be as long as the bill so that the money wouldn’t need to be folded.”

“It’s easier for women because you have handbags,” he added in Filipino.

The BSP first announced last year that they were shifting banknote production from paper made of local abaca to polymer, at the expense of the country’s abaca industry, as polymer bills are supposedly stronger and more hygienic, an added consideration amid the pandemic, they said.

READ: Catanduanes officials oppose BSP shift to polymer banknotes

Yet Medalla warned that the polymer bills, supposedly more secure and durable than abaca bills, could break easily with too much folding.

The new guidelines from the BSP have raised concerns among netizens, who argued that handling the new polymer banknotes required more care than the traditional paper bills.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Can't make this stuff up folks. :shades:

More fun. 

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Very strange, dozens of countries have been using polymer bank notes for years without having to worry about not folding them...

I'm confused..

Oh wait, just remembered where I am!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I'm gonna need a longer wallet and pants with longer pockets!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'm sure one of the oligarchs can fast track production and distribution of the new wallets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

groan.jpg

• Haha 1

baronapart
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, hk blues said:

That's what she said ;-)

• Love it 1
  • Haha 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

No problem.  The Philippines has a sufficient number of fake Louis Vuitton manufacturers to produce new wallets.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

One of our forum members wants to know if those new 1000 notes will still stick to their forehead.  :whistling:

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Youse Guys remember the days when forms came out with the "do not fold, spindle, staple or mutilate"?

I am sure this will be followed the same way :hystery:

• Haha 1