Tacloban Hotels safe or not

sanagimo
Posted
Posted

Gonna chase some province girl and wonder if keeping cash in the hotel safer then caring. Forgive me for my ignorance but whats only a few bucks for me might put me into a world of trouble.

Is caring plastic in the province a waist cuz we need cash.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Place I stayed in about 6 years ago was fine, can't see that that's changed. 

Carry cash, most national type stores take cards, as well as the larger local ones, but your average store outside of Tacloban doesn't, and many within the city as well.

Enjoy Leyte, it's beautiful and it was a near thing we packed up and moved there.

We stayed at Hotel XYZ.  Easy to find on Agoda or Booking.com

Edited by BrettGC

Joey G
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sanagimo said:

Gonna chase some province girl

If you know her already, you should be OK, and she should take care of you.  But if you're winging it... Tacloban is a little gritty. 

• I'm Confused 1

sanagimo
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Place I stayed in about 6 years ago was fine, can't see that that's changed. 

Carry cash, most national type stores take cards, as well as the larger local ones, but your average store outside of Tacloban doesn't, and many within the city as well.

Enjoy Leyte, it's beautiful and it was a near thing we packed up and moved there.

We stayed at Hotel XYZ.  Easy to find on Agoda or Booking.com

Thanks so much

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, sanagimo said:

keeping cash in the hotel

Count all your change and put it on the coffee table.  Count it again the next day.  If none is missing you may have a good one.  There will likely be some gone.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, sanagimo said:

Is caring plastic in the province a waist cuz we need cash.

Carry it to use at ATMs. 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, BrettGC said:

For overseas travel, I use cards to reserve and pay hotels.  Restaurants, taxis and other expenses, I use cash.  The money, enough for one day plus an extra amount, is divided between wallet, pants pockets and a specially designed backpack.  (Difficult to unzip, protected by a steel mesh to prevent razor blade slashing.)  A security expert explained that robbers now avoid stealing from hotel rooms because there are cameras at all entrances and corridors.  The room safe is relatively secure because you choose the password.  The only exception is a special password allowing the hotel to open the safe in case you forget yours or leave the property with the safe still locked. 

• Like 3

Youngster
Posted
Posted

Also, additional options are using gcash, maya, grab etc. payment apps which a lot of businesses accept. It’s also much easier to send loads to girls you will be chasing. 😉

• Like 2

sanagimo
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Carry it to use at ATMs. 

Thanks JGF, so keep the cash to a minimum? when I used to travel around in America I would always carry a bundle of small bills that I could throw on the ground and run if I was to be mugged. It came in handy once in Chicago. Is it as bad as that?

sanagimo
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Count all your change and put it on the coffee table.  Count it again the next day.  If none is missing you may have a good one.  There will likely be some gone.

TAX is okay I worry about the safe or front office box being emptied