Tacloban Hotels safe or not

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, sanagimo said:

Thanks JGF, so keep the cash to a minimum? when I used to travel around in America I would always carry a bundle of small bills that I could throw on the ground and run if I was to be mugged. It came in handy once in Chicago. Is it as bad as that?

I've been here for 6 years, never been mugged or know anyone personally who has been. I think you are reading the place wrong. If you were in the wrong place at the wrong time maybe but its more safer here than most places unless you do silly things like flash big money around, wear expensive things but thats the same the world over.

The idea is pay attention to your surrounding's and act on your gut feeling. Don't show off and dont cause issues for your self.

Yes you can keep cash to a minimum as most places have ATMs these days but if you go traveling to some places like small towns you might find only one ATM in the town and out of cash.

if your worried about being mugged keep some cash in a hidden pocket or in your shoe so if you were robbed you have something to get you out of the area.

Also you might want to carry your wallet in your front pocket so to not get pickpocketed, takes awhile to get used to it but you do.

13 hours ago, sanagimo said:

I worry about the safe or front office box being emptied 

I doubt it. Not room staff or hotel staff but if you bring girls from the street they might be tempted to take a look while your in the bathroom. If and only if your room has a safe which is usually bigger hotels in cities and not smaller 2 star places dont allow a visitor to ever see you open it.

As Dave was saying, you can test a girl by leaving a bit of change around to see if she takes it. I was suspicious once so left my wallet in a pre planned position  and then took a shower while the girl was in the unit. Sure enough my wallet was not in the exact place I had left it when l retuned. Trap worked.

sanagimo
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I've been here for 6 years, never been mugged or know anyone personally who has been. I think you are reading the place wrong. If you were in the wrong place at the wrong time maybe but its more safer here than most places unless you do silly things like flash big money around, wear expensive things but thats the same the world over.

The idea is pay attention to your surrounding's and act on your gut feeling. Don't show off and dont cause issues for your self.

Yes you can keep cash to a minimum as most places have ATMs these days but if you go traveling to some places like small towns you might find only one ATM in the town and out of cash.

if your worried about being mugged keep some cash in a hidden pocket or in your shoe so if you were robbed you have something to get you out of the area.

Also you might want to carry your wallet in your front pocket so to not get pickpocketed, takes awhile to get used to it but you do.

I doubt it. Not room staff or hotel staff but if you bring girls from the street they might be tempted to take a look while your in the bathroom. If and only if your room has a safe which is usually bigger hotels in cities and not smaller 2 star places dont allow a visitor to ever see you open it.

As Dave was saying, you can test a girl by leaving a bit of change around to see if she takes it. I was suspicious once so left my wallet in a pre planned position  and then took a shower while the girl was in the unit. Sure enough my wallet was not in the exact place I had left it when l retuned. Trap worked.

Thank you for all of your advice JGF