SRRV Medical in Makati?

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

My SRRV cost $1.4k application plus a one off $1.5k (  deposit.  Annualy it will cost me $10 ( about 560 peso ) to renew as I'm ex Forces. Tourist Visas were costing me a minimum of 2.8k peso every two months then the 3yr exit flight etc.  I figured it'll pay for itself in under 4.5yrs and no more messing about.

• Like 1

Colsie
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

The authorities could use the deposit for your care if you became indigent.  It is a deposit which is returned to your estate or you upon voluntary departure.  The deposit amount is reduced to a minimum $1,000 for certain circumstances such as former US military personnel with an honorable discharge.  The reason is Tri-Care insurance is available in the Philippines.  Tri-Care is the equivalent of Medicare but available on a global basis for current and former US military personnel.  

If I became indigent (poor) I certainly wouldn't be leaving 20k for someone else to control /use. Wasn't aware US service personnel (retired or otherwise) having such privilege contribution levels to the SRRV program. Not being America and unable to take advantage of this benefit shows to me another reason the SRRV wasn't a good choice for someone like me. 

I was aware that the principal deposited in a SRRV approved Philippine bank would be less (10k USD I think) if a monthly pension was transfered to the visa holder. 

To be honest, I'm not upto date with how the rules may have changed over the last 10 years or so. 

Colsie
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

My SRRV cost $1.4k application plus a one off $1.5k (  deposit.  Annualy it will cost me $10 ( about 560 peso ) to renew as I'm ex Forces. Tourist Visas were costing me a minimum of 2.8k peso every two months then the 3yr exit flight etc.  I figured it'll pay for itself in under 4.5yrs and no more messing about.

So basically the SRRV is unfair as it gives certain nationalities that have worked in a certain profession significantly lower costs than everyone else. 

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Colsie said:

So basically the SRRV is unfair as it gives certain nationalities that have worked in a certain profession significantly lower costs than everyone else. 

It is open to all Armed Forces, diplomats, professors, scientists etc that have distinguished careers. For the ex Forces to get it their countries must have a defence pact with the Philippines.

• Like 2

Colsie
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

It is open to all Armed Forces, diplomats, professors, scientists etc that have distinguished careers. For the ex Forces to get it their countries must have a defence pact with the Philippines.

Therefore the above group have the privilege of paying very little into the SRRV scheme in comparison to everyone else...fair enough 

If I was in that privileged group I would definitely get a SRRV as you have. 

But I'm not :no:

Could it be said that everyone else that's paying much more into the SRRV scheme is subsidising this privileged group :89:

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, JJReyes said:

The authorities could use the deposit for your care if you became indigent.

Key words being "could use" instead of "will use".    :whistling:

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Colsie said:

Therefore the above group have the privilege of paying very little into the SRRV scheme in comparison to everyone else...fair enough 

If I was in that privileged group I would definitely get a SRRV as you have. 

But I'm not :no:

Could it be said that everyone else that's paying much more into the SRRV scheme is subsidising this privileged group :89:

You have the option of applying for a Quota Visa which is cheaper but harder to get, as for others subsidising those on the expanded courtey visa the application cost is identical it's just the deposit which varies and the deposit belongs to the individual so no subsidy. Look on it as someone with better qualifications getting head hunted. :whistling:

Colsie
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

You have the option of applying for a Quota Visa which is cheaper but harder to get, as for others subsidising those on the expanded courtey visa the application cost is identical it's just the deposit which varies and the deposit belongs to the individual so no subsidy. Look on it as someone with better qualifications getting head hunted. :whistling:

Head hunted for the role of retiree, what "better" qualifications are needed for that :cheersty:

With regards to the SRRV, from what you wrote I understood that your annual renewal costs are $10. Whereas I seem to remember that those without this privilege were paying in the order of $360. 

My deductive reasoning regards the privileged group being subsidised is based upon the argument that, without the large financial input from the large group of other SRRV members the scheme would not be profitable and would in effect be a charity.

The cost of offices in Makati, wages and utilities etc couldnt be sustained if the scheme members only had to pay $10 per year. The only way for the privileged group to be part of the SRRV scheme is if everyone else shoulders the cost burden for it to operate. 

Everyone is different and every visa has advantages and disadvantages and for me, for now, using a tourist visa with extensions gives me the most flexibility without financial commitments, other than 6 month extention fees. 

Edited by Colsie
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Cutting to the chase, the SRRV is offered at a preferred basis to encourage American military to set up shop here and other nationalities are "coat tailing" on that. 

Not necessarily a good or a bad thing though, just a marketing strategy.

All in IMHO

• Like 1

Colsie
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Cutting to the chase, the SRRV is offered at a preferred basis to encourage American military to set up shop here and other nationalities are "coat tailing" on that. 

Not necessarily a good or a bad thing though, just a marketing strategy.

All in IMHO

I see what you mean and agree with you. 

• Like 1