How is Cebu city currently? For single tourists and semi-expats

For those of you who are currently or recently been in Cebu city, how is daily life?

If you was a single male tourist, would you travel to Cebu now for long stay, even airline tickets are still sky high, or wait?

Are most business and establishment now reopened or did many go under, during the pandemic?

Are supermarkets fully stocked, or many items missing?

Condo rental same rate as pre-covid, or higher rates now?

Restaurants and drinking bars, what's the current situation and opening hours?

Latest requirements for arriving tourists, medical, insurance, face mask?

Sorry for the many questions, even only a few replies would be really helpful for those of us who weekly consider if this is the right time to travel, without too many disappointments when getting there.

- - -

In comparison, here in Pattaya Thailand apartments condos and some hotels slashed their rates by 50-75% discount last 2 years and still a few amazing deals to be found for long stay. 1/3 of hotels still remain closed. Last 2 months big activity in empty shops preparing for new business starting up daily. Supermarkets here are fully stocked. Many restaurants open, some with shorter opening hours. Drinking bars are doing good business, even better from 1 July with new 2 AM closing time.

Thailand Pass and insurance are no longer required, face mask are currently not required outdoors, but that might become required yet again, due to increase in covid cases and a few chickenpox cases. Newly arrived tourists are happy to be back, but many complain that the airfare was very expensive.

Thanks for thorough reply @Jollygoodfellow

Very good info from the ground 🙏

@Dave Hounddriver you was back in Cebu a few months ago,  what's your view? Did you find the city depressing at that time? Could you still find any former friends in the city? I remember reading Marshall's Irish Pub closing for good long time ago, what about Howling Dogs up Juana Osmena, or Gecko and the sport bar down Gen Max Ave - reopened when you was there?

Ayala center, I guess a very few foreigners could still be found there, if one wanted a beer and a chat with fellow tourists at the Social or TGIF?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
1 minute ago, CebuAndy said:

@Dave Hounddriver you was back in Cebu a few months ago,  what's your view? Did you find the city depressing at that time? Could you still find any former friends in the city? I remember reading Marshall's Irish Pub closing for good long time ago, what about Howling Dogs up Juana Osmena, or Gecko and the sport bar down Gen Max Ave - reopened when you was there?

I found an old friend who remembered us from back in 2011 :hystery:  but she has aged a lot.  Still has some young friends though, and still at the same place.  I found it depressing that so many old places had closed down.  There were also a lot of friends who had moved on or passed on.  But there is always JGF :thumbsup: and a few others who hang in there.  And Howling Dogs is still a friendly place (in the old El Gecko spot now).

So we can talk about how things are not as good as they used to be, but my approach was to let the dust settle and go looking for new things to do.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

News was that the Cebu admin went 'rogue' and cancelled the masks outdoors mandate. What's the situation there in this specific regard? If I stroll around IT park, are most people still walking around wearing masks? Will I get fined if I don't?

Edited by jimdones

And smoking outdoors, still strictly enforced in the city ?

7 minutes ago, CebuAndy said:

And smoking outdoors, still strictly enforced in the city ?

Yep, in designated areas only, not walking around.  Last time I was there I was pulled up for vaping in a non-smoking area in a public street.  No fine, the PNP officer just informed me of the rules and directed me to the nearest public smoking area when I played dumb.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

Yep, in designated areas only, not walking around.  Last time I was there I was pulled up for vaping in a non-smoking area in a public street.  No fine, the PNP officer just informed me of the rules and directed me to the nearest public smoking area when I played dumb.  

Always the best course of action and something I can pull off very well! :whistling:

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, jimdones said:

News was that the Cebu admin went 'rogue' and cancelled the masks outdoors mandate. What's the situation there in this specific regard? If I stroll around IT park, are most people still walking around wearing masks? Will I get fined if I don't?

You will find Cebu city still requires masks and other cities as Gwen has no control over the city as its not her role. Rama said mask stay. Yes everyone is wearing them in the IT park. Funny thing just yesterday morning when GF came home from work she asked, do we still have to wear masks. I told her the above as she said someone yelled at her on the way home. 

Only Cebu province do not have to wear a mask.

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Keep your masks on when in Cebu City. 

Mayor Michael Rama said he will not yet be adopting the Executive Order (EO) of Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia that no longer requires the wearing of face masks in public, open, and well-ventilated spaces. 

In a phone interview with reporters on Friday, June 10, 2022, the mayor said he cannot remove the mask requirements in the city yet. 

Primarily, the mayor believes that the situation of the city is different from that of the province. 

Full story

• Like 4

18 hours ago, CebuAndy said:

I remember reading Marshall's Irish Pub closing for good long time ago,

September last year. One owner died maybe a year before that. Larry was his name if I recall.

just to add, there is a new bar in Mango which opened about 2 months ago, sports bar type I think. I have not been to Mango for a long time. The Howling Dogs which as Dave said is in the old El gecko now. Some years back the owner Billie lost it to his wife amongst other things. Later she had to sell it. He worked as a Manager somewhere to survive I believe but now owns Billie Bar and I think has a co owner.

Other places like Bamboosers survived. Bar in Ramos expanded but they all did it hard because at times were allowed to open only to be shut again or shorter hours and less capacity in Venus etc. 

You will still find expats in The social plus Park social and other places throughout the city but not the same numbers as a few years ago.

Also not just covid had an effect on the city. The typhoon last December caused a lot of damage and loss of jobs. 

Anyway I said this somewhere else, if you have money its a good time to buy up closed business if you wanted one as will be cheap and the future can only get better (Maybe)

To add to that I do see some progess in moving forward with people opening new business.

Here in the IT park the number of people working here is small compared to before, most work from home now so for me its not the same here anymore. The atmosphere of many people about, bars and restaurant's that were busy but now most come here for Sugbo Mercado. Pipeline does OK since rebuilt after the typhoon, Park Social not as busy. Places like The Pyramid closed, Shaka , moooncafe and several others. The mall in the Park to me has not recovered much as still pretty much empty. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2