So I Had An Accident...

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I am wondering if there is a requirement for that in the Philippines. 

9 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

so not required in their eyes

By their eyes, do you mean the insurance company? 

I have never had an accident here, but everyone I have ever talked to is that a Police report is a MUST in order for the insurance to pay off. That is why traffic gets snarled sometimes. Folks waiting for the PNP to show up.

It would not surprise me in the least that waiting for a police report is an urban myth that just keeps getting passed down with no evidence. 

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, scott h said:

By their eyes, do you mean the insurance company? 

I have never had an accident here, but everyone I have ever talked to is that a Police report is a MUST in order for the insurance to pay off. That is why traffic gets snarled sometimes. Folks waiting for the PNP to show up.

It would not surprise me in the least that waiting for a police report is an urban myth that just keeps getting passed down with no evidence. 

It wasn't even mentioned during the entire process.  Probably a myth perpetrated by expats who are used to it being the norm in their countries of origin or it may be above a certain value.  Unless of course all the people I dealt with in my incident were particularly inept.  Either way, my car is fixed without a police report.  

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Probably a myth perpetrated by expats

could be, but my money is on 1 pinoy being asked for a police report in 1982 and it went from batch mate to batch mate to family member to work mate and then the jungle telegraph took off from there....and no one bothered to check :hystery:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, scott h said:

no one bothered to check

So I checked with Professor Google:

4. Insurance and Repairs

With the basics taken cared of, it's time to see about the damage to your car and how you can go about getting it fixed. If you can, call your insurance agent immediately while you're still at the scene and ask him about repairs. Keep in touch with the traffic investigators, and file a report on the accident if they ask.

https://mmda.gov.ph/20-faq/300-what-to-do-during-vehicular-accidents.html

Probably no one ever asks.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So I checked with Professor Google:

Probably no one ever asks.

I'm surprised the wall did not insist on a police report.

• Haha 3

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

He probably wrote the estimate based on what it would have cost him to get it repaired under the "Mate's Rates" system!

That and im sure he had no idea how expensive the parts are. The drivers side mirror was 39k. the bumper was 85k. and good luck getting the money back from the person who hit the truck. he had no license no insurance.

• Sad 2

• 6 months later...
Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
On 7/14/2022 at 1:43 AM, BrettGC said:

Tuesday June 28:  Talk to Toyota Dumaguete (our insurance is through them), they take photos, send off an authorisation, we wait for approval. 

Friday  July 01 :  Approval for repair comes through from the insurer.  Price to fix, 37,000PHP covered by insurance.  Our deductable (excess), 3000PHP - very pleasant surprise which we paid at the time.  We wait for parts.

:morning1:Glad to hear the positive experience from Duma Toyota, as we are looking at buying an Innova from them.  Trying to decide between it and the Mitsubishi Xpander, which has slightly higher ground clearance.  Renting the later this weekend and then we'll decide most likely.   As for the fender scraper, I did that in Japan once doing same thing you did, but it was driving that right hand side steering that threw me off....don't realize that what you grow up driving, left or right side, really does affect your spatial awareness for front end clearance when switch drivers seats.  I'll shoot you a PM as have more questions about your car buying experience and search here.  

• Like 1

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
On 7/14/2022 at 4:42 PM, OnMyWay said:

I'm surprised the wall did not insist on a police report.

Or at least compensation $$$ for it's troubles.

• Haha 1