Ideal place where to buy lot in the Philippines?

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

PM me if a provincial capital on coastal Panay interests you. Wife has private and clear property that I've told her to eventually sell. Close to Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas. You can Google map it to see how it does or does not fit your requirements re proximity to desired distances to stated needs.

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Ive looked extensively around Bantayan ( 4 trips now ) and Siquijor ( 3 trips ) and Valencia ( 2 trips) Hard to find that right place.

I lacerated a finger badly in Bantyan one trip that required stitches and had to vist the local rural hospital . Not somewhere youd rely on if you suddenly got very sick. Good for delivering babies due to lots experience but not much else. Ferry for me is fine, but in event of typhoons it can shot for days.

Siquijor, better hospitals ( 3 ) ,easy to get to Dumaguete which has an airport and hospitals in Dumaguete. But land slightly up in the hills which I wanted, then you need to ensure power and water supply 24/7. Valencia prices have increased a lot but the micro climate is tough.. always sky is black then blue might rain does rian stops raining, because of the nearby mountains.

Had a couple runs through Romblon looking also but it doesnt have much that appeals. Sadly as others have said , might just have to compromise.

Me , Ive basically given up. Ive looked and looked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

We've been looking a lot around Negros, the one thing that stands out is I just wish they'd pick a standard whether it be metres squared or feet.  Feet is more common but as the younger generation start selling metres is becoming more popular...

• Like 1

Crispy
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, BrettGC said:

We've been looking a lot around Negros, the one thing that stands out is I just wish they'd pick a standard whether it be metres squared or feet.  Feet is more common but as the younger generation start selling metres is becoming more popular...

I've got a mate you packed up in north west Victoria (Aus) and headed over to Valencia about 1.5 years ago at the peak of Covid-19. He's still alive and is doing well.

He was fortunate to buy a steel framed house with a tiled roof on 3 to 400sqm  in Valencia for around 5m. Which is a by current pricing standards is a fairly good price for a western style home. He's been building a high powered three wheel motorbike, which in typical Phil time is going slowly slowly. He told me, just last week that there's a fairly good medical clinic in Valencia Town Proper and if you need to go to a better one or a hospital, then it's only a 15 minute ambulance ride into Dumaguete City. That is, allowing for peak morning and evening traffic jams getting into and out of the city. That is the biggest problem that I see, once progress rears it's ugly head in places like Dumaguete, roads and infrastruture can't handle the fast pace of development. In just the 3-4 years that I've been going to Dumaguete City the traffic has become worse and worse. The small sleepy laid back city is changing rapidly.

I had been considering Valencia for 5 or 6 years, it was at the top of my list, but has slipped down in recent times. I would be interested to hear others opinions about the place.

Crispy
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

PM me if a provincial capital on coastal Panay interests you. Wife has private and clear property that I've told her to eventually sell. Close to Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas. You can Google map it to see how it does or does not fit your requirements re proximity to desired distances to stated needs.

I'm fairly new to this group, so I'm not sure how to PM you, but I'd be interested if you can PM me regarding the above.

I have previously been to Kalibo, Roxas City, Estancia and Illoillo City. I can honestly say, I was in those places as a young 20 something, so I'd say they've changed a lot over the years? I was however very impressed with the beaches and the seafood in the area. I am not a big fan of Borocay and never have been, but I knew of a guy from Melbourne, who retired in Malay, only I lost contact with him over time.

I did notice the development in Illoillo City which looks nice and well planned, not ugly and garish development out of control like in Mactan, where I previously lived.

Crispy
Posted
Posted
On 7/24/2022 at 8:19 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

I assume you have a Filipina wife whose name is on the land deeds? 

Correct, the land title is in the name of my Filipina partner, however my name is also on the title as her spouse.

It's good to have it made out like that as the Philippines has conjual rights just in case you ever split up or get a divorce.

I guess the problem might be getting the authorities to enforce that with you beinng a foreigner, in the case of a messy

separation I meant.

Crispy
Posted
Posted
On 7/24/2022 at 9:23 PM, Kingpin said:

Satisfies every requirement, except costing more than the US etc

I agree with what you are saying with regards to pricing.

I keep getting asked by agents, how much are you willing to pay or what's your budget. My reply to that is, how long is a piece of string?

It's virtually like them asking you how much are you willing to overpay and throw their way in the form of a big fat commission.

I'm from Australia and our AUD is worth something like 67 cents to one USD, so when I'm calculating the price of land in the Phil's,

I usually say to myself, well if I had USD then it would be more than 25% cheaper to begin with. But when the asking price for say 500 sqm

of land is PHP 3 to 5m, then that's very expensive in my money terms. You may as well buy cheap land in the outback of Australia and die

there instead of paying astronomical prices in the Phil's.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Crispy said:

I agree with what you are saying with regards to pricing.

I keep getting asked by agents, how much are you willing to pay or what's your budget. My reply to that is, how long is a piece of string?

It's virtually like them asking you how much are you willing to overpay and throw their way in the form of a big fat commission.

I'm from Australia and our AUD is worth something like 67 cents to one USD, so when I'm calculating the price of land in the Phil's,

I usually say to myself, well if I had USD then it would be more than 25% cheaper to begin with. But when the asking price for say 500 sqm

of land is PHP 3 to 5m, then that's very expensive in my money terms. You may as well buy cheap land in the outback of Australia and die

there instead of paying astronomical prices in the Phil's.

I'm pretty sure that you've noticed this but the AUD has actually held firm against the PHP despite going down against the USD recently.  I've been pleasantly surprised.  

Crispy
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

I'm pretty sure that you've noticed this but the AUD has actually held firm against the PHP despite going down against the USD recently.  I've been pleasantly surprised.  

I have noticed the AUD has been holding firm against the Peso, despite sliding futher against the USD.

I even saw it hit 38 recently!

It is a good time to buy on that basis, I'd just like to see more realistic lot prices as a result of the shakey world economy at present.

I had a look at land prices in Palawan over the weekend, you'd have to be a $ millionaire or have come accross a fortune somehow to afford the prices being advertised online.

It makes me wonder then, who has the cash to splash, with the small fortune being asked for land in Palawan?

I'm trying to juggle retaining my house here for security and family reasons, whith trying to sell a potentially unsellable large property in Mactan, with trying to buy elsewhere

from what's left of my Superannuation. It's a difficult task!

• Like 1