Ideal place where to buy lot in the Philippines?

Freebie
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kingpin said:

so land value is ridiculously high.

Plus the somewhat different situation where only Filipinos can own land. Ive bought houses in Malaysia and Singapore and condos in HK and Shanghai and  my nationality was never an issue. never once .

Nearly bought a house in Perth long ago and again nationality not an issue. If they ever allowed all nationalities to buy here think how much higher demand for land might be

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

The Philippines has some of the best Photoshoppers in the world with relation to tourist destinations and real estate....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

The Philippines has some of the best Photoshoppers in the world with relation to tourist destinations and real estate....

...and online dating websites.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Own and you'll either pay far more than a comparable city house in the US or AU, or you'll have to make any number of sacrifices of compromises.

Maybe true for USA or AU, but certainly for what I paid for my place here in 2015 was more or less what I paid for a much smaller and older house back in the UK in 1990.  Build quality is acceptable and with an investment of less than 500,000-750,000php I was able to bring  the finishes up to standard.

There are plenty of overpriced properties here but you can still buy something for much less than in the UK.

• Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Freebie said:

Plus the somewhat different situation where only Filipinos can own land. Ive bought houses in Malaysia and Singapore and condos in HK and Shanghai and  my nationality was never an issue. never once .

Nearly bought a house in Perth long ago and again nationality not an issue. If they ever allowed all nationalities to buy here think how much higher demand for land might be

All reasons why PH condos are also overpriced, both sale price and maintenance fee, as the only residence foreigners can own. It's a gold mine for big Filipino business, and what's good for business generally isn't altered in by politicians. In the city it's rare to find new housing developments happening, there's no more space. With condos, they can just buy a lot, build up, profit, repeat until the skyline is littered with skyscrapers and the traffic is heavy until midnight.

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

There are plenty of overpriced properties here but you can still buy something for much less than in the UK.

Depends entirely on which subdivision you're in, but there are no bargains. The further from the city, the lower the price.

Something the Philippines hasn't done yet, but maybe one day they will.

In places like New York City, they will drop a high-end apartment building right in the middle of the ghetto, and it will sell, those buyers don't mind that 'local flavor'. In the Philippines, all the luxury condos are in 'parks', surrounded by malls. Any that go up in the more 'urban' areas are the cheapies with tiny rooms and a dozen + units per floor.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Maybe true for USA or AU, but certainly for what I paid for my place here in 2015 was more or less what I paid for a much smaller and older house back in the UK in 1990.  Build quality is acceptable and with an investment of less than 500,000-750,000php I was able to bring  the finishes up to standard.

I agree, to by an established 3 bedroom house less than 5 years old in Cairns, Australia, which is a city in the remote tropical north, but a major regional centre (great barrier reef arear) of about 150,000 people, you're not going to get any change out of $AUD600,000 or about PHP23 million.  I lived my last 5 years in Australia in Cairns before moving here.  You can get a lot more than that in a regional area, even a provincial capital easily here.  I guess it depends on your needs and preferences.  One of my neighbours in Sto. Rosario Subd,  Bngy. Junob in Dumaguete (no I didn't know the murdered nurse or her estranged husband) is selling his 4 bedroom house on a double lot with the house taking half the property and a well established garden and lawn on the other half.. And well maintained and far enough back from the Duma - Valencia  Rd you can't hear the traffic.  He's an Aussie so it's fitted to a western standard and he wants  PHP7.2 million.  It was built just on 5 years ago and to big now for him and his wife to look after as they're getting older.  It's 4-5 mins from Hypermart, 7-9 mins to Robinsons and 10 mins from the city by car depending on traffic.  When I last spoke to him last week he hadn't had an offer in the month it's been on the market so probably over-priced.  

They're out there, but as you said Crispy, you just have to look hard and an element of luck can be involved.  Compromise is another factor, it's rare in any country to find something that ticks all the boxes but for myself and MfFaW (Minister for Finance and War - wife) if something comes up that ticks most, we'd seriously consider it.  In the meantime, we're renovating the place we do own, and living in it at the same time... Fun times!!

Edited by BrettGC

hk blues
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

I agree, to by an established 3 bedroom house less than 5 years old in Cairns, Australia, which is a city in the remote tropical north, but a major regional centre (great barrier reef arear) of about 150,000 people, you're not going to get any change out of $AUD600,000 or about PHP23 million.  I lived my last 5 years in Australia in Cairns before moving here.  You can get a lot more than that in a regional area, even a provincial capital easily here.  I guess it depends on your needs and preferences.  One of my neighbours in Sto. Rosario Subd,  Bngy. Junob in Dumaguete (no I didn't know the murdered nurse or her estranged husband) is selling his 4 bedroom house on a double lot with the house taking half the property and a well established garden and lawn on the other half.. And well maintained and far enough back from the Duma - Valencia  Rd you can't hear the traffic.  He's an Aussie so it's fitted to a western standard and he wants  PHP7.2 million.  It was built just on 5 years ago and to big now for him and his wife to look after as they're getting older.  It's 4-5 mins from Hypermart, 7-9 mins to Robinsons and 10 mins from the city by car depending on traffic.  When I last spoke to him last week he hadn't had an offer in the month it's been on the market so probably over-priced.  

They're out there, but as you said Crispy, you just have to look hard and an element of luck can be involved.  Compromise is another factor, it's rare in any country to find something that ticks all the boxes but for myself and MfFaW (Minister for Finance and War - wife) if something comes up that ticks most, we'd seriously consider it.  In the meantime, we're renovating the place we do own, and living in it at the same time... Fun times!!

I think houses are the same as most things here - If you want to buy "stuff" at the low-middle end of the market then things are cheap-reasonable but as soon as you move into the high-end you will pay more than you likely would back home.  

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Crispy said:

I've travelled the entire east coast of Negros, from Dumaguete City to Zamboanguita. The beaches just outside of Duma at Bacong and Dauin have dark brown dirty looking sand. There's quite a few Expats living in the area, but the sand really puts me off.

Sedentary sand.  It usually means soil from nearby areas is washing away and mixing with the beach sand.  Avoid if you like swimming in the ocean.  The contaminants, including chemical fertilizers in the soil, are high.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Crispy said:

To tell you the truth, I haven't looked at land prices near Batangas, but a lot of reitirement blogs mention Lipa City,

There are several gated communities around Lipa City selling 1,000 square meter lots.  This size permits owners to build a home and start a large size agricultural garden to grow your own fruits and vegetables.  I think raising certain animals for food is permitted, but you will need to ask.  My recollection is Lipa City has a pretty decent hospital.  The South Expressway Toll Road permits access to world class Asian Hospital, except on weekends when this road is jammed with motorists.