Ideal place where to buy lot in the Philippines?

Freebie
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Yeah, Mactan was on my list a long time ago, mainly because they do have some good diving nearby.  That is no longer a factor.

First went to Mactan in about 1980.. I was working in Saudi and had a very nice vacation staying in Tambuli...which was old run down but on the beach .

Lots of drinks  ladies and beach time were spent trying to get Saudi restrictions out of my system.

I remember thinking, this would be a good place to buy a house.

Went back 20 years later thinking this isnt the same place.. who are all these people living here and why does it take so long to get anywhere. I see Tambuli is still there, gone upmarket, with spa etc etc. The reality is we should never go back and never spoil great memories. So happy I never did more than look at a few places ,and never signed on any dotted lines.

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Crispy said:

To put it simply, I don't trust drivers here in Aus vs. push bikes and motor bikes, I trust them even less over there.

We have two scooters, which are great for city and beach riding. I would definitely not take them on a highway over there. I have had my fair share of near misses whilst driving cars in Cebu and Manila. You virtually need 360 deg vision. One thing in particular to watch out for is kids, because they don't look before they leap and slow moving old people.

I have been looking for nice beaches all along the east coast of Negros, from Duma north, accross the top, to Bacolod, then down the west coast to Sipalay and I found nothing but brown or dirty looking sandy or rocky beaches. I know there's some nice sandy reefs offshore at Cadiz and Sagay, but not enough to make you want to live near the seahore with the affore mentioned beaches. I know that Sipalay, Sugar Beach and other spots in that area have nice yellow sandy becahes which are attractive and potentially worth living there.

It's a similar story on the east coast, dirty brown sand beaches in Dauin, but it get's a lot nicer as you drive southwards to Siaton and Zamboanguita. Unfortunately Negros is not blessed with lovely beaches like Cebu, Bohol, Samar, Leyte etc. I think the beaches being brown has something to do with the huge active volcano in the north and similar extinct ones in the south?

Like you, I enjoy hiking,  waterfalls, hot springs, lakes and remote uncrowded locations. I once drove my little car to Lake Balanan near Siaton and almost ripped the bottom out of the car.  It was of course overloaded with family members. Lol

Crispy something tells me unless your prepared to compromise some what in 20 years time one could still be searching,

For what its worth, I spent a number of years here living on a nice white beach diving most days, beautiful sunsets and rarely sought after totally peaceful. Somewhat like sex, it does wear off especially as one matures. Now more important is is nature, meaning mountains, hiking and such, nice restos (not to many about) and civilization. 

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jake said:

Welcome aboard Crispy.  I did not read all 7 pages of comments, many were excellent advice from veteran expats.  If I had to do it all over again, I would first and foremost determine if the "papers are clean".  Even in a new and well establish western style sub division, you probably need to hire a lawyer.  There are many disputes, especially among family members, each claiming they have the titles to a property/house that they are trying to sell to you.  

Another consideration is researching the historical flood, landslide and earthquake incidence of the general area you may be residing.  And speaking of history, go around in a tricycle and get a feel for the area, especially your future neighbors at night when you're trying to sleep.  You may soon find out that you're sandwiched between neighbors competing with their 5K watt speaker system.  How about a gaggle of roosters singing My Way at zero dark thirty?  It's the little things that count.  

Respectfully Jake 

All good points, Jake.  Made me think of the time that a great piece of property was available cheap with all the right papers etc, but the DENR would not let anyone build a permanent structure there.  Some bigshot probably bought it and got around the rules but we average guys would have been stuck.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

All good points, Jake.  Made me think of the time that a great piece of property was available cheap with all the right papers etc, but the DENR would not let anyone build a permanent structure there.  Some bigshot probably bought it and got around the rules but we average guys would have been stuck.

Speaking of bigshot, sometimes the final decision is made by your new GF or wife.  In spite of basic logic of your decision, she wants the house near the beauty salon, in her own barrio.  And then you discover your new bedroom is above a crowded intersection, full of jeepneys and tricycles.  Es mo pun in da Philippines!

• Like 5

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

The mayor of Dauis, Bohol is quite diligent about limiting noise after 7PM. If a barangay captain won't handle it, the mayor will.

• Like 4

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Jake said:

family members, each claiming they have the titles to a property/house that they are trying to sell to you.

Or the other situation, tax declaration only but "ready for title".

23 hours ago, Jake said:

your future neighbors at night when you're trying to sleep.  You may soon find out that you're sandwiched between neighbors competing with their 5K watt speaker system.  How about a gaggle of roosters singing My Way at zero dark thirty?

Just a few examples why private subdivisions can cost ten times more than same-sized public lots.

• Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted

On 7/31/2022 at 8:11 AM, RBM said:

nature,...and civilization. 

Another big reason why private subdivisions are so in demand, they're the only places you can get both.

On 7/29/2022 at 12:15 PM, Crispy said:

most of my travel was done over 20-30 years ago and things have changed so much since then. I would need to revisit the whole country to find my ideal spot.

There's an easy solution; all the best spots are well known by locals with money. Which specific location do lots consistently sell for over $500,000? Or houses over $1 mil? There's your answer, those are the best places to live in the Philippines. And for all the reasons you stated and more, none of them are in Mactan. You can even half those prices to find less than ideal but still acceptable places. Once you have the locations, it's just a matter of how much you're willing to spend and finding a deal. Eventually you'll realize the only deals are in rentals.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Once you have the locations, it's just a matter of how much you're willing to spend and finding a deal. Eventually you'll realize the only deals are in rentals.

Yep...from what I gather it seems that the old adage that a property is only worth what someone is willing to pay doesn't apply here - it's worth what the owner has in mind.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, hk blues said:

it's worth what the owner has in mind.

and they are willing to wait and wait and wait

• Like 1