Traveling to the Philippines and not being vaccinated

"P2"

I posted this in the Travel/Passport forum but thought it would gain more traction here. Forgive the double effort....

Greetings everyone! My Filipina wife and I have a question that we are hoping someone here could answer with specifics.

My wife and I have been wanting to travel to the Philippines now for the past 3 years but because of Covid and that the Philippines is slow to open we haven't been able to.... at least until now... we think. I am a US citizen and so is my wife (she got her citizenship 2 years ago) and neither one of us are vaccinated and don't intend to be as we have both already had Covid. We want to know if it is possible for us to travel to the Philippines and visit her relatives. What restrictions, if any, would there possibly be and what if any documentation, other than a passport, would we need. We have looked at the Philippine Embassy Website and the answer is not there or at least not where it is easily found. We have also visited the One Health Pass website and that wasn't much help either. So I'm reaching out to you guys for answers.

In short, Can we visit the Philippines as unvaccinated travelers from the US? What are the guidelines for traveling there and travel within the country?

Thanks in advance for your help! 

• Forum Support
6 minutes ago, "P2" said:

What are the guidelines for traveling there and travel within the country?

I just googled Travel to the Philippines. Long story short, yes you can but you will have to undergo quarantine until a test taken upon your arrival proves negative.

Once things are fairly relaxed. Theoretically  you are supposed to show a vaccination card to enter most restaurants, malls, banks, etc. Most places we have been to lately no one checks anymore, but you might be turned away if an over zealous guard gets a hair up his third point of contact. 

According to the Philippine Embassy Website as of June 12th there is no more quarantine. But it also doesn't mention anything about unvaccinated travelers. It seems like you have found "old" info, which has been our problem. We can't seem to find up to date information regarding travel. It's frustrating. 

• Forum Support

I believe this is the most current (May 26th) from the BI Facebook page.  You can also usually get info from the airline websites that fly into the Philippines.

https://web.facebook.com/photo?fbid=381090920718423&set=pcb.381092227384959

Calls for facility based quarantine for five days and a negative test on 5th day.  Then home quarantine for 14 days.  

May be an image of 1 person

• Like 1

This is my copy/paste of the original post:

Hi P2 and welcome to the forum.  

The first post on the Bureau of Immigration page gives you all the answers:

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=394677916033320&set=pcb.394677949366650

This is the summary  and as you can see, short answer is no, but you can with a 6 day quarantine with a PCR test administered on the 5th day:

No photo description available.image.png

You need to get your wife to look into Balikbayan privilege as well, there may be a loophole for former Filipino citizens and their spouses.  

1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

This is my copy/paste of the original post:

Hi P2 and welcome to the forum.  

The first post on the Bureau of Immigration page gives you all the answers:

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=394677916033320&set=pcb.394677949366650

This is the summary  and as you can see, short answer is no, but you can with a 6 day quarantine with a PCR test administered on the 5th day:

No photo description available.image.png

You need to get your wife to look into Balikbayan privilege as well, there may be a loophole for former Filipino citizens and their spouses.  

I heard that it’s hard now to find a quarantine hotel now, the hotels have stopped providing the service. I checked into a hotel in Manila a couple weeks ago that I had booked online and they asked us fir our vacc certificates, luckily we had them on our phones but nowhere during the online booking did it mention the requirement. 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

The rules keep changing.  As of today, at this hour, you need to quarantine at your expense and test negative at the end of the quarantine period.  While the rules keep changing, an additional problem is airlines might not be aware of the update or their personnel are unaware.  They may stop you from boarding the aircraft.  

6 hours ago, JJReyes said:

The rules keep changing.  As of today, at this hour, you need to quarantine at your expense and test negative at the end of the quarantine period.  While the rules keep changing, an additional problem is airlines might not be aware of the update or their personnel are unaware.  They may stop you from boarding the aircraft.  

I dont see that as a change. Sounds the same for a long time? You always paid your own hotel quarantine. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

You always paid your own hotel quarantine. 

The quarantine expenses for OFWs (Overseas Filipino Workers) are paid through a government fund.  I can understand the need to quarantine if you are positive for Covid-19 (currently 5 days with the first day being zero, so actually 6 days), but not the general population.  In the Philippines, they had refused to lift the rule for the longest time because quarantine was profitable for the hotel industry.