Corruption? ECC. Cebu Jcenter mall immigration office

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted

Jolly, I had the identical situation that you had, except the photo shop across from them was available for 500p.  I didn't want to wait, and instead of my wife negotiating, I did it myself.  Stupid me...I paid 3500p plus the express and window fee, and yes, no receipt.  The BI agent I work with there has been fixing things for me for years, and there's no doubt to me they are pocketing it with no record of it at the BI office.  But bottom line is I needed the letter asap and the turn around was 1 hour.  I guess I contributed to the corruption problem.......... "supply and demand".

• Like 1

Colsie
Posted
Posted (edited)

I forgot to mention in my post. After, taking my finger prints (thumb prints), I asked whether I had to get the Travel Declaration done as well. The immigration officer told me that this is completed at the airport. 

I received a receipt for the 500 peso ECC fee I paid. The process took 15 mins tops, at the Tacloban office. Photos, I did the day before 10 pesos each print at a local shop. 

20220802_164947~2.jpg

Edited by Colsie

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Colsie said:

I received a receipt for the 500 peso ECC fee I paid.

As mentioned in many posts, each BI office has a different view of the rules.  The BI web site from some time ago says "ECC – Php 700.00" but then it goes on to say "Additional ECC - 500.00"  Now that makes no sense.  No one needs additional ECCs, do they?  Anyway, it appears you got the additional one. :hystery:

https://immigration.gov.ph/47-clearance/309-ecc-tourist-more-than-six-months (scroll to the bottom of that page)

• Haha 4

baronapart
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Peaceful John said:

Jolly, I had the identical situation that you had, except the photo shop across from them was available for 500p.  I didn't want to wait, and instead of my wife negotiating, I did it myself.  Stupid me...I paid 3500p plus the express and window fee, and yes, no receipt.  The BI agent I work with there has been fixing things for me for years, and there's no doubt to me they are pocketing it with no record of it at the BI office.  But bottom line is I needed the letter asap and the turn around was 1 hour.  I guess I contributed to the corruption problem.......... "supply and demand".

John...which office do you use living in Dipolog?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Anyway, it appears you got the additional one. :hystery:

Maybe one that was already paid for and left over from previous victims? :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Old55 said:

WIth rising inflation and Bam Bam in office should we expect to see an increase in corruption do you think?

Pray tell me, how to change something that is ingrained........

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Colsie said:

I forgot to mention in my post. After, taking my finger prints (thumb prints), I asked whether I had to get the Travel Declaration done as well. The immigration officer told me that this is completed at the airport. 

I received a receipt for the 500 peso ECC fee I paid. The process took 15 mins tops, at the Tacloban office. Photos, I did the day before 10 pesos each print at a local shop. 

You will notice I was talking about the Cebu office where no fingerprints are taken. So im saying this is what they are doing in one office and others may be doing things different.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 8/2/2022 at 5:00 AM, JJReyes said:

If GF was not present, they would not have asked for an additional express fee.  Government clerks wouldn't know if the foreigner, whose is by himself, would understand the reason why gift giving is necessary to reduce the wait from three days to one hour.  A foreigner might make trouble by reporting the incident to the media.  The Filipina knows better than to do this.  

Not true as my friend was in the same office a few months ago on his own. Similar thing happened for a visa extension and he paid extra as someone there offered to speed it through. Next extension he avoided Cebu office and went to Mactan where he had no extra fees. 

Maybe express is no longer in Cebu office as thats what they are saying, no more. This was not just the security guard saying this it was the first window or maybe at the payment section. Besides they can see me with her and know she is talking to me while there and after we left so yes I can report it even if l was not there at the time.

Normally and like the last time I did this 3 years ago you pay for ECC and express fee at the same time and no gift giving. Now they say come back in 3 days until someone approaches you  for quick service.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 8/2/2022 at 3:39 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Didn't you say, in a post some time back, that things were getting better.

Maybe it will slide down hill fast as Duterte is no longer making threats.

• Hmm thinking 1

Colsie
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

You will notice I was talking about the Cebu office where no fingerprints are taken. So im saying this is what they are doing in one office and others may be doing things different.

Yes, understood, but I wasn't able to give you direct experience with the Cebu office. So I explained my experience of service and costs at an immigration office absent of corruption. 

Like always in the Philippines if payment is made to a public office and no official receipt is given then dishonesty prevails. 

The options open to us, would be to refuse to pay the additional fee (which may mean issues or delays in getting your ECC) or traveling to a different office that may have a fair system in place. 

By flagging the issue with this office, you have made other expats thinking of going there aware.