Corruption? ECC. Cebu Jcenter mall immigration office

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Not true as my friend was in the same office a few months ago on his own. Similar thing happened for a visa extension and he paid extra as someone there offered to speed it through.

Was your friend approached by someone working at the office or a "fixer" who is typically a person who loiters around the premises?  Everyone is on the scheme, but this allows deniability.  A good fixer is someone well connected whom you hire to take care of city hall matters like construction permits, parking violations, etc.  You never go yourself.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Was your friend approached by someone working at the office or a "fixer" who is typically a person who loiters around the premises?  Everyone is on the scheme, but this allows deniability.  A good fixer is someone well connected whom you hire to take care of city hall matters like construction permits, parking violations, etc.  You never go yourself.

And herein lies the problem in this country - systems such as described above are cogs in the wheel of corruption that exist here.  

• Like 1

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 8/3/2022 at 1:02 AM, baronapart said:

John...which office do you use living in Dipolog?

There's a single BI agent in the new City Hall building and you go to window #10 on Fridays.  He's an outstanding young man and very helpful.  He provides us with his cell number and is always happy to answer questions or give me updates.  Also, you rarely have to wait in a line when we go there.  The most I've had before me is 1 person.  His main office is Ozamis City and he's here in Dipolog every Friday.  It takes a little longer to get updates (drop off on Friday and get back the following Friday), but for me it's well worth it.

Baron.......  I failed to mention, when I need ECC clearance I go to Cebu.  My wife and I visit her sister in Manadue and get my BI things done and a little shopping.  If you need the assistance of the agent I have been acquainted with, let me know.  :cheersty:

Edited by Peaceful John
Clarify
  • Thanks 1

baronapart
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Peaceful John said:

There's a single BI agent in the new City Hall building and you go to window #10 on Fridays.  He's an outstanding young man and very helpful.  He provides us with his cell number and is always happy to answer questions or give me updates.  Also, you rarely have to wait in a line when we go there.  The most I've had before me is 1 person.  His main office is Ozamis City and he's here in Dipolog every Friday.  It takes a little longer to get updates (drop off on Friday and get back the following Friday), but for me it's well worth it.

Baron.......  I failed to mention, when I need ECC clearance I go to Cebu.  My wife and I visit her sister in Manadue and get my BI things done and a little shopping.  If you need the assistance of the agent I have been acquainted with, let me know.  :cheersty:

Thanks, John! :cheersty:

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, hk blues said:

And herein lies the problem in this country - systems such as described above are cogs in the wheel of corruption that exist here.  

Corruption happens everywhere.  In the United States, there are so-called lobbyists paid by major corporations, trade associations, labor organizations, favor seekers, etc. who dole out money to politicians at the federal, state, and local level.  The money is legally channeled to the politician's fund-raising committee.  What happens next, no one really know.  The lobbyists themselves are retired politicians paid in the $500 to $1,500 per hour range.  Total amount is hundreds of millions of dollars per year compared to thousands of pesos in the Philippines.

In Europe, dating back to the Roman Empire, every major construction project included an amount set aside to give to politicians.  This is the reason every newly installed government wants new grandiose projects costing in the billions using borrowed funds.  The politicians receive a share. 

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Corruption happens everywhere.  In the United States, there are so-called lobbyists paid by major corporations, trade associations, labor organizations, favor seekers, etc. who dole out money to politicians at the federal, state, and local level.  The money is legally channeled to the politician's fund-raising committee.  What happens next, no one really know.  The lobbyists themselves are retired politicians paid in the $500 to $1,500 per hour range.  Total amount is hundreds of millions of dollars per year compared to thousands of pesos in the Philippines.

In Europe, dating back to the Roman Empire, every major construction project included an amount set aside to give to politicians.  This is the reason every newly installed government wants new grandiose projects costing in the billions using borrowed funds.  The politicians receive a share. 

Indeed.

But it doesn't mean we should just continue to perpetuate a system which supports corruption when we have the possibility to stop it.

In short, fix what you can and don't use what you can't as an excuse to do nothing.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, hk blues said:

Indeed.

But it doesn't mean we should just continue to perpetuate a system which supports corruption when we have the possibility to stop it.

In short, fix what you can and don't use what you can't as an excuse to do nothing.

Agree.

I was dreading the idea of going to the BI and getting renewal visas if my request for Balikbayan status is denied at the airport.  Would have hired a fixer recommended by the family rather than standing in line.  Luckily a thorough search of our storage locker resulted in finding an old passport from the Philippines government.  Still looking for our marriage certificate issued more than 50 years ago just in case the immigration officer demands proof of marriage.  

• Like 1

ExtraThree
Posted
Posted

What’s the point of living in one of the most corrupt countries if you can’t take advantage of it? I got a poor taxi driver off the hook for P200 for a no turn left he took because of me telling him to turn (sign was concealed). 

The only example I personally experienced that was virulently bad was BOI Mandaue. One officer waits as foreigners get close to the office, but are not committed at a window, and asks what you are there for. It’s not to help it is to see if it sufficiently complex that he can get a bribe to work it out.

I used him twice of the years when I was particularly exhausted. He did perform the service so the bribe did get the results of expediting. 

Then again an expat I know offered $300 to get off the hook when he arrived without a return ticket and the officer at the airport office where he was questioned wasn’t having it. Next plane out of PH.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, ExtraThree said:

an expat I know offered $300 to get off the hook when he arrived without a return ticket

Why wouldn't he just say:  "I can't find it.  Let me look on my phone for a copy."  Then instantly buy one and show the officer the ticket?  Way less than $300.  Sounds like a strange story.

ExtraThree
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Why wouldn't he just say:  "I can't find it.  Let me look on my phone for a copy."  Then instantly buy one and show the officer the ticket?  Way less than $300.  Sounds like a strange story.

But being interviewed by an official while simultaneously going online and purchasing a ticket is not a strange?

I think these forums are dying from lack of interest because they only want the same ten people to post in a very narrow range. 

Have at it. hahaha