Shrinkflation

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I am curious if Shrinkflation is starting to become a common practice in the Philippines.  My expresso coffee is sold in vacuum pack cans that started at 16 ounces.  The content was reduced to 12 ounces, followed by 10 ounces and the expectation is a further reduction to 8 ounces.  The size of the can remains the same.  It is the net weight that is going down.  The same thing is happening with my wife's cereal.  The box size is constant, but the content is less.  Yesterday, our Lavanderia prices changed from $15 for 15 pounds to $18 for 12 pounds.  That's 50% more!  Unfortunately, I don't like coin operated laundromats. 

Update on restaurants.

San Francisco diners are reporting non-fast-food restaurants now have a mandatory 20% Equity Fee.  This is to make sure you leave money for servers and kitchen staff.  5% is added for the San Francisco Healthcare Tax.  Last item is an 8.625% Sales Tax.  And, by the way, food portions are being reduced.  The sides like cooked vegetables, potatoes, etc. have separate charges.

Looking forward to our Philippine visit where the food portions are large, and prices are cheap.  (Maybe I am wrong.  Haven't been there in 5 years.)

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

San Francisco diners are reporting non-fast-food restaurants now have a mandatory 20% Equity Fee.  This is to make sure you leave money for servers and kitchen staff.  5% is added for the San Francisco Healthcare Tax.  Last item is an 8.625% Sales Tax.  And, by the way, food portions are being reduced.  The sides like cooked vegetables, potatoes, etc. have separate charges.

I lived in the area from 94 to 03 and loved it.  Last visited in 2017.  I don't have any desire to go back now.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, JJReyes said:

I am curious if Shrinkflation is starting to become a common practice in the Philippines.

I wonder if that is part of the reason for the popularity of sachets.  It is hard to reduce the quantity in a single use sachet so they know exactly what they are getting when they pay for it.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It is hard to reduce the quantity in a single use sachet

Why would you think that?  Seems easy to me, same as any container.

• Hmm thinking 1

Colsie
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, JJReyes said:

I am curious if Shrinkflation is starting to become a common practice in the Philippines.  My expresso coffee is sold in vacuum pack cans that started at 16 ounces.  The content was reduced to 12 ounces, followed by 10 ounces and the expectation is a further reduction to 8 ounces.  The size of the can remains the same.  It is the net weight that is going down.  The same thing is happening with my wife's cereal.  The box size is constant, but the content is less.  Yesterday, our Lavanderia prices changed from $15 for 15 pounds to $18 for 12 pounds.  That's 50% more!  Unfortunately, I don't like coin operated laundromats. 

Update on restaurants.

Looking forward to our Philippine visit where the food portions are large, and prices are cheap.  (Maybe I am wrong.  Haven't been there in 5 years.)

Here in the province, food portions are miniscule. Ulam is served on a small saucer and the price has rose from 50 to 60 pesos. Also, bread has been effected by shrinkflation, 4 pieces for 20 pesos instead of 5.

I know the values here are low, but the 20 percentage increase isn't. 

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Standard bottle of beer use to be 375ml in Australia, in the last 10 years or so any new brand is in the 330ml range.  As for other products, I couldn't say.  It's a worldwide phenomenon, chocolate bars, packets of chips, even those 2 minute noodle jobbies are all smaller in PI now.  The  list is as long as my arm.   

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Update on restaurants.

I don't find portion sizes here at all large, quite small albeit more than enough. Sure, throw in a few spoons of rice as a filler and the plate might look big but...

Prices...hmm. I have found that prices In McD's etc have jumped since the pandemic eased.

As for shrinkflation - my wife hasn't mentioned but has said prices are very much on the up.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Standard bottle of beer use to be 375ml in Australia, in the last 10 years or so any new brand is in the 330ml range.  As for other products, I couldn't say.  It's a worldwide phenomenon, chocolate bars, packets of chips, even those 2 minute noodle jobbies are all smaller in PI now.  The  list is as long as my arm.   

Yep.

The biscuit "Wagon Wheel" is about to be renamed "Wheelbarrow Wheel" I heard!:hystery:

• Haha 4

skippyscage
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Yep.

The biscuit "Wagon Wheel" is about to be renamed "Wheelbarrow Wheel" I heard!:hystery:

classic!

• Haha 1