Another Day at the Office

Jake
Posted
Posted

This is how you sometimes crack the sonar dome.  USS DEWEY (Arleigh Burke class destroyer) plowing the heavy seas.  I miss driving warships.  

bow wave.PNG

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The slim, narrow design of warships makes for very rough rides.  I prefer wide body cruise ships about 100,000 tons with stabilizers that are used during rough weather.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jake said:

I miss driving warships. 

I miss driving busses, but not enough to go back to work :hystery:  Enjoy retirement.  Its good for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Jake said:

This is how you sometimes crack the sonar dome.  USS DEWEY (Arleigh Burke class destroyer) plowing the heavy seas.  I miss driving warships.  

bow wave.PNG

I don't miss it much, I do get a bit nostalgic at times but....

Driving dived submarines was fun, easier to  stay on course without a swell, maintaining depth was the tricky part especially around the "layer".  I had a series of old school CO's that would rarely let us fly in auto :571c66d400c8c_1(103): 

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
On 8/6/2022 at 7:55 PM, BrettGC said:

I don't miss it much, I do get a bit nostalgic at times but....

Driving dived submarines was fun, easier to  stay on course without a swell, maintaining depth was the tricky part especially around the "layer".  I had a series of old school CO's that would rarely let us fly in auto :571c66d400c8c_1(103): 

You ever broach while trying to maintain periscope depth?   

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jake said:

You ever broach while trying to maintain periscope depth?   

Once or twice maybe, but not enough to alert the targets we were collecting on.  Reasonably rough seas at the time.  Scary for the fact that an undeclared submarine detected in our target's waters was considered an act of war.  We had to stay at PD (periscope depth) so our floating antennas and omni from the fin could gather the intelligence we were after.  Funny thing is, we were never awarded an Australian Active Service Medal (AASM) for our efforts, yet guys that landed in whatever country where there was a declared conflict shooting shit fight were... I guess I'm lucky (?) in that I served in both so I have a AASM and all the entitlements with regards to pensions etc that entails.  I feel for the guys that put their life on the line in the silent and secret war but don't have the same entitlements I do. Basically, it's bullshit.  

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Basically, it's bullshit.  

That may be, but we civilians thank you and other servicemen for putting up with it.

• Like 4