Buying a lot ,

stevewool
Posted
Posted

We are still looking at buying  a place in the Philippines and we have been told by long time friends that they know of a place that is for sale, it’s there neighbours place , it’s a 250 sq meter lot with a house in the region of Pangasinan , our friends live here in England but brought the family home many years ago and use it as a holiday home plus there mum lives in it full time so we do trust our friends .

So what do I look for and ask about if I’m interested in buying this for Emma , plus what would the cost be roughly on top of the asking price to make sure everything is in order , Like solicitor cost and things like that .

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, stevewool said:

we have been told by long time friends that they know of a place that is for sale

Ahh, the recipe for an end to a friendship.  Wishing you well but having my doubts. :shooter:

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Mike J said:

The protentional to be screwed over is exponentially higher if you are not in the Philippines and instead choose to trust someone else to do the research and legal work.   If you had someone you trusted 100 percent and you could find a reputable attorney, who really knew land law, and was trustworthy you might have a chance to make it work. 

First question - Is the lot titled?  If not, I would not proceed.

If titled, try to get a current copy from the local government.  If the title looks clean you might proceed but still you need an knowledgably intermediary you trust (and wont be swayed) and an honest attorney.  Both can be difficult to find.  The prospect of selling land to an overseas foreigner is the equivalent of winning the lottery for most folks here.   

Thank you 

Possum
Posted
Posted

My experience buying property in the Philippines has been good for the most part. BUT my Filipino wife is a realist. She trusts no real estate agents as she knows they have neither the buyer or seller's interest in mind. We found some land on a  small mountain in Quezon Province, about .75 of one hectare. The agent wanted 250php/mtr2. Another agent want a little less. Thru subterfuge we contacted the owner in the USA who inherited the land. He told us he wanted 150php/sq mtr. but he just wanted someone to not subdivide it as he played on it as a kid and had fond memories. He just wanted to settle things now as he was getting old and wanted to avoid family squabbles once he moved on to the next life.  He suggested we contact a reputable attorney and pay any agent whatever we were comfortable with. My wife's God father is an attorney. He researched the taxes paid and did a title search, everything was clear. He the said to schedule the closing when he and the buyer were available  as video documentation was needed. Papers were signed and money exchanged with video documentation in the attorney's office via Zoom. No fuss no muss.

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Nothing. I bet this place has been forsale a long time and will be for a long time yet so that gives you the chance to wait and come and see for yourself. Show interest now and the price will probably go up as well.

We know the price already and are just waiting for the pictures , nothing will happen until we make plans to see the place for ourselves 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
stevewool
Posted
Posted

Not going ahead with this one , not what we thought was for sale , never mind onwards and upward .

• Like 1