Out of hospital...

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Sorry I haven't been very active the last few weeks, my heart has been giving me problems.

But I was discharged from hospital in CDO yesterday and I'm feeling a lot better :smile:

I'm not allowed to fly for a month but assuming the follow up checks come back ok I'm going to fly to aussie where I can get the care needed to fix the issue (not just medicate around it) without splashing out close to a million peso.  If I have to I will but I'd rather not if I can get it done there.

Oh and before someone trots out the 'you should have had health insurance' I actually had it this trip but because this is a pre-existing condition (that suddenly became worse) it's not covered.

Hope everyone else is going good (too many posts to read back and catch up) :wave:

It's great to have you back Geoff.  And even better that your health is on the upswing.  I hope and pray you are able to get to Aussie land to get a complete fix.  God Bless my friend.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

We wish you a quick recovery Geoff, so that you can get the proper medical care in Australia.  

Respectfully Jake 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Geoff, wishing you a speedy recovery to full strength, whether it be in the Philippines or back in AU!

After you get the current issue fixed, take a hard look at your diet.  Don't mean to be preachy, but changing my diet has done wonders for me.  Last year, there was a period where I had super high BP and I was worried about my longevity.  Two visits to the ER.  I have a family history of strokes and aneurism.  I had done KETO off and on over the years, with success for weight loss, but not other things, because I was not consistent.  This year in May I started following Keto with intermittent fasting.  No breakfast, just lunch and dinner.  Lots of fat and meat, some good veggies, never hungry.  No breads, rice, starches, rice, dairy, and especially sugar.  Almost no processed foods.  Yes, sacrifices have to be made, but I want to be around for my family.

Since May 13th I have lost 13 kg.  Eliminated 1 BP med and reduced the last one.  My BP is often too low now and I will phase out the last one.  No longer pre-diabetic.  HA1C is 5.3.  I do take a thyroid med but over time I hope my thyroid can heal too.  Kidney and liver tests are now back in the normal range.  Energy is back and I am feeling so much better than last year, mentally and physically.  My aches and pains are much less.  Even my bad hip is somewhat better.

During your rest time, perhaps take a look at videos by Dr. Ken Berry.  Here is one where he talks to a cardiologist.  Read the comments.

• Like 3

Eddie1
Posted
Posted

The best of luck to you Geoff, wherever you decide to have the treatment I am sure that everybody on the forum wishes you all the very best.  Take Care.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Don't mean to be preachy, but changing my diet has done wonders for me.

Did the keto affect your cholesterol levels?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

@GeoffH  -   Wishing you well and a rapid recovery my friend.   :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Wishing you a swift and complete recovery Geoff. :cheersty:

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the good wishes all :thumbsup:

Re the Keto diet I haven't tried that one but I am down 11 kg on 12 months ago and my BP when tested in the hospital was consistently between 120/70 and 130/80 so that's fine.

My sugar level was elevated but not drastically and the same with my cholesterol levels (I'll work on those).

The issue is blockages in the blood vessels leading to my heart combined with an existing arrythmia problem... my previously stable angina became unstable and my nitro glycerin didn't work so SWMBO drove me to emergency where they examined me, gave me 'stuff' and left me in hospital for a bit with a canula/drip monitoring me in case I deteriated and they needed to pump drugs into me... but I didn't, I stablized (very slowly) and then gradually improved.

Since I'm stable I'm now on 'light duties' and set to be re-examined in 2 weeks.

If still stable in 4 weeks then I'll get the ok to go back to Aussie where I can access the treatment without blowing a big chunk dollars, if not then I'll have to get the treatment done here.

NB... is it just this hospital or are all private rooms in Phils hospitals huge? 

This one had a patient bed for me, and a 'watcher' bed for SWMBO and a 2 1/2 seat sofa and a wardrobe and a cabinet plus a large private CR (at 3600 peso per night).  The private rooms at St. John of God hospital in Bendigo where I come from are about half the size (and 4 to 6 times the cost but I'd expect that).

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Did the keto affect your cholesterol levels?

In April 2021 when I had my high BP scares, my triglycerides were 141.59.  On June 26 2022, they were 65.49.

My HDL was 46.33.  Now 54.05.

My TG:HDL ratio was 3.06.  Now 1.21.

My LDL was 86.  Now 103.47.  No worries.

I'm going to get my bloodwork done again in a week or two.  One good thing about the Philippines is that lab work is relatively cheap.

Dr. Berry's opinion.  You can research it to verify.  I think I have found that websites like WebMd still preach on behalf of the drug companies.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1