Cholesterol

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

When I was still athletic I also never had to worry.  When you get older, there are things that often prevent the heavy workouts, and/or we just get lazy.  I admire you and people like my former running buddy in California.  We used to do 10ks together when I was 40 and and he was 42.  Now he is 67 and still doing half-marathons.  He is small and lightweight.  Not so much pounding on the joints.  I had to quit running around 41 due to knees issues.  Started cycling for the next 10 years, then got lazy, having too much good times and German beer!  Excuses, excuses! :smile:

We need to be careful when following doctor recommendations.  I'm now convinced that the majority don't our best interests in mind or lack knowledge.  A pill for everything and no mention of diet, or if they mention diet, they get it all wrong.  Medical schools teach almost nothing on nutrition and what they do teach is the old "food pyramid".   In 2003 when I moved to Florida I saw a new GP who was in my health insurance plan.  Young guy fresh out of medical school.  I was in super good shape, cycling at least 100 miles a week, but due to my diet, still a bit fat with a gut.  He said my BP was a bit high, take this pill.  That should be the last resort, not the first.

Regarding obesity, I think the common guidelines are wrong for many people.  There are factors they don't consider.  When I was cycling a lot and in very good shape, I was still obese by the guidelines.  Legs were big and solid.  Still had tummy fat, but far from "obese'.

There's certainly a lot of truth in doctors just giving you a pill and sending you on your way and diet certainly plays a part for the majority of the population but for me it's being head strong and training. 

I completely screwed my knees about 5yrs ago comming off Mount Kinabalu in Malaysia, I was in a wheelchair for a few weeks then crutches for months, an MRI showed torn ligaments and worn out cartilage and I'd resigned myself to new knees, I'd shot up to 110kg as I could only hobble to the gym then do a few hours on the weights and swimming. A good friend was a strength and conditioning coach for the Scottish Rugby team and a trained physio. I sent him the scan results and he sent me back a training program mainly stretching with limited load bearing and he advised me to see a proper physio here. 

Ten sessions with a physio where I was tazered ( electric shocks to the knees to stimulate blood flow )and plenty of stretching I was back to walking unaided. I progressed to walking one or two km then jogging a few hundred yards. I moved to Boracay and upped my walking to 4km bare footed on the beach then 8km and started slow jogs, one to two km at a time then building up to 8km. Lost a good 20kg before hitting a plateau and now I only feel my knees for a few minutes in the morning when I get up and after a decent run. I continued the stretching and can do the splits, training isn't easy but even when I can't be bothered I drag myself out, I even encouraged my partner who had asthma and stomach issues to join me, within two months her asthma was gone and no more stomach issues. 

• Like 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, RBM said:

Could you please explain (apart from the weight loss) the benefits gained from this diet.

Probably looking into Google would be better but the main reason I chose to go on KD was to get my fatty liver back to normal which I have successfully done.

Also, I'm 68 year old and don't take any meds for anything, fingers crossed I won't in the near future. That's my reason apart from losing weight.

There are many other reason's people go on the KD, just google. KETOGENIC DIET BENEFITS.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Kingpin said:

For short term diet, which I agree with. Eliminating processed / simple carbs is a good start but I wouldn't call it optimal because there are benefits to fruit and vegetable consumption, in addition to grass-fed meat, cold-water fish, free-range poultry, etc.

Good veggies are fine on keto.  I like broccoli with butter.  Some avoid the nightshade veggies, but I don't think they bother me.  We went to a nice resto today and I had a grilled beef dish that came with grilled tomatoes and risotto.  I took the rice home for someone else to eat.  The beef and tomatoes were good.  I had to pass on the p2600 Wagyu, 100 grams!

Fruits I am not eating.  By coincidence, someone posted this video in the Carnivore FB group.  The second video is only the fruit guy.

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'd recommend watching a few of this guys videos, he's a real expert who backs his information up with science, how the body really works and plenty of peer reviewed studies, he debunks a lot of pseudoscience with how some things just can't physically happen.  https://www.tiktok.com/@dr_idz?lang=en

You don't have to have an account to just browse. 

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
On 8/12/2022 at 10:33 AM, Snowy79 said:

how the body really works and plenty of beer reviewed studies

My Doctor tells me I'm not allowed beer review studies right now :sad:

• Haha 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

My Doctor tells me I'm not allowed beer review studies right now :sad:

I love predictive text lol.

• Haha 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I love predictive text lol.

Perhaps predictive text was correct this time. :tongue:

• Haha 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 8/11/2022 at 1:29 PM, jimeve said:

Probably looking into Google would be better but the main reason I chose to go on KD was to get my fatty liver back to normal which I have successfully done.

Also, I'm 68 year old and don't take any meds for anything, fingers crossed I won't in the near future. That's my reason apart from losing weight.

There are many other reason's people go on the KD, just google. KETOGENIC DIET BENEFITS.

Do you ever do bulletproof coffee?  Today I'm extending my IF to around 22-23 hours by skipping my brunch, but I'm having BPC right now.  Not hungry at all.  2 cups of coffee, big tablespoon of butter, and 1-2 tablespoons of MCT oil, blended in the blender.

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Do you ever do bulletproof coffee?  Today I'm extending my IF to around 22-23 hours by skipping my brunch, but I'm having BPC right now.  Not hungry at all.  2 cups of coffee, big tablespoon of butter, and 1-2 tablespoons of MCT oil, blended in the blender.

Not yet, I have heard of it going to try it when I get a blender, the one we have is broken. I have heard that butter and MCT oil can start insulin and break or slow down the IF.

jimeve
Posted
Posted

• Like 1